Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Forgive My Ignorance I'm New :)

Hi guys just recently signed up on here as i'm in the market for a IS200, but i'm just curious what the main differences are between the models spec wise?

What i'm looking for is a IS200 with a styling pack in Black manual and with fairly low mileage for it's age, what are my chances :P?

Thanks

Dan

Look in the section above (important topics) that has the spec sheet's for all the IS models.

As for getting what you want sounds like your after IS sport with TTE,TRD or similar styling kit, you'll just have to be patient if thats what you really want then one will come up eventually.

Welcome to lOC :)

Welcome to LOC fella,

Ok, here's a quick rundown on the IS200:

There are 3 model in the IS range (99-05): S (base model), has manual cloth seats, 6 disc multichanger, 16 inch alloys. Next model is SE, has electric leather/alcantara seats (full leather in later cars), 6 disc mutlichanger with 8 speakers, 17 inch 5 spoke alloys (later cars have the 11 spoke multispoke alloys). Next model is the Sport model, basically as SE, but has lowered suspension (I think), boot/lip spolier, darker tints in the back, LSD, chrome scuffplates, 2 tone steering wheel and chrome pedals. The S and SE are avaiable with auto/manual transmission, Sport model only comes with manual transmission. There was also a LE edition, basically these were the end of production cars, so they had full leathers, HID and sat nav, maybe some extra bits as well. All IS200's are powered by a 2.0 litre straight six cyclinder petrol engine producing 153bhp- no diesel option. If you want more power, then look at the IS300 (same as IS200 but with a 3.0 engine), or look at an Altezza (Japanese version of the UK IS200) or look at a supercharged IS200 with 200bhp.

Common problems with the IS200: CD player can malfunction, ERR3, basically the unit is :tsktsk:, either replace the standard unit with a aftermarket system (most popular option with many owners) or get the standard unit repaired for about £220. alloys can often suffer from corrosion, easy fix is to get the alloys refurbished, cost approx £40-£60 a alloy. Sat nav (where fitted) can also play up (screen problems), pretty sure it can be repaired. The IS200 can also suffer from clutch judder (manual cars), some think its trait of the car, others find that replacing the clutch can eliminate clutch judder. Front discs can be prone to warping (due to heaving braking and/or sticky calipers), replacing discs and pads/servicing the calipers can fix this. Balljoints and waterpump failure can also be common problems. The IS200 can suffer from inner tyre wear, easy fix is to get the geometry setup by Wheels-In-Motion (a member on this site). The paintwork on the IS200 chips easily, many high mileaged IS200's will have stonechipped bonnets and bumpers.

On the whole, the IS200 is a very reliable car with very few problems. Running costs are reasonable (IMHO), don't expect good mpg, on a local run the IS200 returns 25-28mpg, in my experience, but on a motorway run, I've achieved 35mpg. Also, buy a IS200 registered before 1st March 2001, if you want to avoid paying a big amount of road tax, I believe that IS200's reg's before 1st March 2001 will pay £185 road tax from next year, an IS200 reg'd after 1st March 2001 will pay £400 :crybaby:

Hope this helps.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links