Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Silly Dvla Rules

I've been speaking to the DVLA this morning, who got me a little annoyed, why can you transfer a private registration from one car to another when the two vehicles are in different peoples names, but you can't transfer a registration on retention to a car that isn't in the same name as the retention document?

Except for the fact they want to charge an extra £25 to add the new name to the document first, on top of the £80 transfer fee once it's done, what possible reason could there be? :angry:

I tried asking the DVLA guy on the phone that same question, and he hung up on me! :lol:

Yep i had the same when i bought mine, got the retention doc, but then had to send it back to get my name on it, but then they sent it to the old owner of it, and he had to send it back to me before i could put it on my car.

Stav

I've been speaking to the DVLA this morning, who got me a little annoyed, why can you transfer a private registration from one car to another when the two vehicles are in different peoples names, but you can't transfer a registration on retention to a car that isn't in the same name as the retention document?

Except for the fact they want to charge an extra £25 to add the new name to the document first, on top of the £80 transfer fee once it's done, what possible reason could there be? :angry:

I tried asking the DVLA guy on the phone that same question, and he hung up on me! :lol:

can you put the plate on your car if you are the nominee?

can you put the plate on your car if you are the nominee?

Yes if signed over to the nominee.

Lexus Finance are my nominee and they do it all when I change cars ( AT A CHARGE ) of course.

Basically the plate used to be on my dad's car, he put it on retention when he sold the car, now want to put it on a car in my mum's name, so they're saying to add her as nominee on the retention document. It's fair enough, but I just don't see the point except that they make a bit more money out of us :sick:

And I'm guessing all info in the post would still go to the owner (or grantee) as that is still the main name on the document. Am I also right in assuming that my dad would still be the legal owner of the registration even once we get it on the car?

I believe the Nominee gets the reminders for tax etc:

Because you sign over the mark to them.

The owner still owns the rights to the "Mark"

I know all offences go to the nominee to pass on to the driver etc:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links