Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Detailing..again

Its that time of the year again.......wash and detail time.

Now.....plese dont telll me to search coz theres so much crap to read through so i'll run through what my plan is and a simple yes or no you can/cant do that will suffice :D

Here we go.

Step 1...Zymol AW first...twice

Step 2....Clay bar....once over?

Step 3....Zymol Polish which has swirl removal/filler in it...2 coats

Step 4....I plan to go over the Z.Wax for added protection and to help with filling in S,marks with Auto Glym Super Resin..2 coats

Step 5....Wax...2coats

Does this all sound o.k

TIA :D

after step 4's SRP

step 4.5 Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection (1 coat only - gives a nice 'wet look')

step 5 colindale 476S wax (2nd coat after 24hrs)

This is only what I would do/have done, and is by no means a detailing Bible.

Wanna see the new wheels on the car when it's all done :D

hi mate.

yep, once over with the clay bar will be enough.

maybe no need for both polish types. i'd stick to one with abrasives and fillers if you have one as that'll save you a lot of time and effort for possibly very minimal difference.

the only other thing to think about maybe a paint cleaner after the clay? not neccesary, but you'd be amazed how much grime is still on the car even after wash and clay.

i'd also consider a sealant glaze after the polish so that you can wax on top of that. it'll give you a lot more protection in the long run.

i think u have a black car?? if so, go for collinite 475. i wouldn't bother with the 876 marqu d'elegance they do, that's better suited for lighter cars wanting a wet look/gloss finish.

Wanna see the new wheels on the car when it's all done :D

The one's i got from Rory (11 spoke) after refurb came out really nice, there on now B) Pics coming at some stage when i get round to it.

Cheers for the tips guys.

I bought the detailing kit (Meguiars) today along with the AW and Zymol wax all the other stuff i got in the shed so will be attacking it soon hopefully.

i'd also consider a sealant glaze after the polish so that you can wax on top of that.

I thought I'd already suggested that ? (step 5 EGP ^^)

didn't know that was a sealant glaze...not used it b4

476S

Don't ya just wish they would give them a proper name so plebs like me can tell what on earth they are meant to do :whistling:

Me too..

@Wozza...Input is very much appreciated matey, i asked coz i know loads have used certain products but i will be using what i bought today mainly 2 poss 3 different products Meguiars, Auto Glym and Zymol and can these be used together and was the order i put them in right.The car is clean now but i just thought i'd give it a deep clean (so to speak) and fill in/remove swirls, im not that bothered how it looks after as it wont last long and im not entering any show n shine competitions...like all good women she gets treated once a year,a bit of polish and a quick rub down...she'll love it :D

And then i'll start on the car the w/end :lol:

Oh another thing...the pack comes with 2 clay bars, is 1 enough to do the car?

1 should be ample - possibly less. Depending on size of bars break it into three chunks and make a disc out of one of those and rest that in your palm - keep the area you're claying very well lubricated, and after each panel mush up and re-flatten your clay.

The golden rule though is: if you drop it bin it. If the panel isn't lube'd enough that clay will jump right out of your hand and will collect evry bit of grit on the floor.

I never know when to bin them, except obviously if you drop one. The yellow clay tends to discolour very quickly but I don't know if this is any indication of the end of useful life. Anyone know? Would hate to damage the surface of the paint, but haven't done so (yet :unsure: ).

i think you can in halford... they didn't have any at the time so i got a kit.... i hated using it

you can do my car mate after you finish lol

the wheels look nice too.....

I never know when to bin them, except obviously if you drop one. The yellow clay tends to discolour very quickly but I don't know if this is any indication of the end of useful life. Anyone know? Would hate to damage the surface of the paint, but haven't done so (yet :unsure: ).

I' v done 4 cars with just one clay bar, just keep folding it over when it gets dicoloured.

Works as good as first time :winky:

Will change it when I drop it :whistling:

Well...i am knackered lol

I've been at it most of the afternoon and my arms feel like popeyes,this is how it went.

Wash/rinse...repeat,clay bar/polish/wax/egp

Not much came off the clay bar so i take that as a compliment to me for looking after the paintwork :D one thing i did notice and it must happen to others too is that sometimes the C/Bar would stick and leave a residue on the paint so i had to wash it after claying to remove any clay deposits and im not quite convinced there is a special formula in the detailing spray for lubricating as you clay (probably just water).After it was dried it was on to the polishing, i used Auto Glym so i know what the results were going to be so 2 coats of that then onto the wax this was a product i haven't used b4 it was Zymol a nice turquoise colour and smelled really nice this went on really easy and covered most of the swirls, (i think im going to get myself a cable polishing machine for the next time) i did this a panel at a time and again this was so easy to take off then it was on to the final round , The Extra Gloss Protection again i am familiar with the Auto Glym range so it was on/off so easy and leaves a nice wet look. So thats about it but should i go again with the Wax on top of the EGP tomorrow?

Now i cant show any pics as the daughter is using the camera so i will a.s.a.p. anyway she ( The Lex) is looking marvelous as opposed to me coz i am shattered and in need of some well deserved beers.

Told ya Wozza it would be a waste of time......its b :tsktsk: y raining....LOL (20:12)

Forgot to say how smelly the Auto Glym EGP stuff is :sick:

Can anyone advise on my q in red....cheers.
i think you should wax on top of egp but not egp on top of wax.the reason being,wax slowly evaporates from your paints surface and by putting a sealant over the wax can lead to a hazing effect as the wax trys to evaporate .so always sealant first then two or three coats of wax.

Can anyone advise on my q in red....cheers.
i think you should wax on top of egp but not egp on top of wax.the reason being,wax slowly evaporates from your paints surface and by putting a sealant over the wax can lead to a hazing effect as the wax trys to evaporate .so always sealant first then two or three coats of wax.

Thanks for the reply.

Too late lol.....no hazing though just crisp clean/rich/wet looking black paint, jobs a god un. B)

So thats about it but ........should I go again with the Wax on top of the EGP tomorrow?

Should have listened to post number 2, the order was all there buddy.......

Should have been SRP then EGP, then wax...

(another coat of wax aint bad either after 24 hours when in the correct order)

Dunno what to do when wax under EGP :huh::unsure::huh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links