Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Increase Water Pressure

Bit of a random question for a car site, but there's so many different people on here wondered if someone might know the answer...............

Anyway, our water pressure at home has always been quite low. Having just fitted a new bathroom, it seems even worse so wanted to know if there is a way to raise the water pressure with some kind of pump maybe?

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

yes with a pump :D

use a twin pump on the hot and cold supplies after they have left the storage tanks

most modern taps need a pumped supply, as they are designed for euro use where most supplies are pumped

use a twin pump on the hot and cold supplies after they have left the storage tanks

most modern taps need a pumped supply, as they are designed for euro use where most supplies are pumped

Awesome, cheers for that! Yep was guessing that the new fittings must be made for higher pressure systems as it really is quite bad at the mo, I'll have to get hold of one of these...........they're more expensive than I was expecting but it's definitely necessary.......

Btw, what's the difference between a negative and a positive pump? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I want to make sure I understand what's going on before I get a plumber :winky:

How are others in your road? Is it an old house? When was the incoming supply last changed?

Not sure about your area but if you run the new pipe to your boundary wall the water company will connect free of charge. (get it under the lead replacement scheme even if you don't have an incoming lead supply)

How are others in your road? Is it an old house? When was the incoming supply last changed?

Not sure about your area but if you run the new pipe to your boundary wall the water company will connect free of charge. (get it under the lead replacement scheme even if you don't have an incoming lead supply)

Not sure about the others in the road, but yes it's an old house, and I don't think the incoming supply has changed since we've been here (and that's a long time!)

We're not sure how long we might still be here which is why we haven't thought down the re-piping route..........I'd just like a quick and easy fix to raise the water pressure without altering too much..........

Awesome, cheers for that! Yep was guessing that the new fittings must be made for higher pressure systems as it really is quite bad at the mo, I'll have to get hold of one of these...........they're more expensive than I was expecting but it's definitely necessary.......

Btw, what's the difference between a negative and a positive pump? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I want to make sure I understand what's going on before I get a plumber :winky:

positive is when the shower is below the tank, negative is when its above

if the tanks are in the loft you would generally need a positive

the incoming pressure is only a factor in how fast it fills the tank, supplies to the bathroom generally rely on gravity

we are refurbishing our house and have the same problem. before the bathroom taps were fine, ever since the new taps went on, the hot water pressure is about 1/10th of before. builders say we needed a pump, but i found it hard to understand as the previous taps were fine! the cold works fine, odd how the hot water needs a pump.

the electic shower showed low pressure and wouldnt work, called up thames water they came onto the road (did something) and the shower worked after.

the incoming pressure is only a factor in how fast it fills the tank, supplies to the bathroom generally rely on gravity

Unless you have a Combination Boiler, in which case the system runs off mains pressure (which in our area is considerable...have to reduce it). The advantage is no tanks in the loft...

we are refurbishing our house and have the same problem. before the bathroom taps were fine, ever since the new taps went on, the hot water pressure is about 1/10th of before. builders say we needed a pump, but i found it hard to understand as the previous taps were fine! the cold works fine, odd how the hot water needs a pump.

the electic shower showed low pressure and wouldnt work, called up thames water they came onto the road (did something) and the shower worked after.

electric shower works off of mains pressure, water board probably just turned the pressure up a bit, probably turned your stop ***** on a bit more !

cold water is directly fed from the tank, normally in the loft, where as the hot has to pass through the cylinder which will lower the pressure :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've just been looking further into what I need, and am wondering how much power I will need..........the pumps seem to come as 1, 2, 3 or 4 bar of pressure, which one would be the best option?

Just as an additional note, if you do fit a pump and the cold supply is gravity fed, make sure the feed for the hot water is taken from a point above the feed for the cold. If you end up pumping water faster out of the header tank than it can fill back up, you don't want the cold side stopping before the hot side, could be very painfull.

Am I missing something here?

If we are being asked to save energy, why are taps being supplied that require a pump, presumably

electric?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links