Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Buying From Dealerships

I just wanted to know what are the key advantages and benefits of buying an approved pre owned Lexus from a Lexus Dealership? As apposed to buying private or through traders.

I know the dis-advantage is you will end up paying abit more but what are the key benefits?

Your help, as always is greatly appreicated.

Thanks in advance.

I just wanted to know what are the key advantages and benefits of buying an approved pre owned Lexus from a Lexus Dealership? As apposed to buying private or through traders.

I know the dis-advantage is you will end up paying abit more but what are the key benefits?

Your help, as always is greatly appreicated.

Thanks in advance.

Buying an approved pre owned Lexus from a Lexus Dealership, DONT MEAN A THING, Just look at some of the posts from members of LOC who have just got one :o

If you buying a used car under 3yrs old from anywhere, if service history is there, you will still have warranty :D

If you do your homework on any 2nd hand car, you can buy from anywhere and save yourself £££££££s from using a dealer :D

Well it's all laid out on the Lexus UK website

"Approved Pre-Owned from Lexus ensures you receive the same level of service and attention to detail as all Lexus customers. For instance, every Approved Pre-Owned Lexus comes with Comprehensive Lexus Warranty, Independent Vehicle History, Mileage Check and Lexus Approved Service History. And although you may never need it, because our cars lead reliability statistics, Lexus GB also provides 24-hour RAC Roadside Assistance."

"Lexus owners have consistently rated Lexus as the best cars to own. This has resulted in many industry awards from Top Gear and Auto Express magazines for example; plus an unprecedented fifth successive J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Award. Lexus is dedicated to ensuring that every Lexus owner continues to be totally satisfied. So if your Approved Pre-Owned Lexus does not fully meet your expectations we offer a 30-day, 1,000 mile, No Quibble exchange policy*"

It's not just a bit more, you usually end up paying a LOT more via a Lexus dealer.

The biggest advantage really is that you have somewhere to go back to when things go wrong with the car after purchase. However, as many owners can tell you, that isn't ALWAYS a straightforward process. The blurb I quote above was probably written by their Marketing team..

Allegedly, the BEST used cars always stay within the dealer network. I'm not sure I agree with that.

Personally, having bought two ex-fleet cars from auction, one car from a car supermarket, two cars via Owners Clubs, and one car from a Lexus main dealer, I'd be very reluctant to buy from main dealer again. It turned out to be a very expensive experience with more headache than any other purchasing channel.

However, I'm sure there are plenty of satisified folks on here who bought via main dealer.

I'm on my second used Lexus now and I think with what could possibly go wrong with these cars, I shall only every purchase from Lexus dealers. The service has been fantastic.

I totally agree. Had my last one for 6 years,just upgraded and service has been spot on. Only had minor problems with last car apart from when tracking went and killed my front tyres but always fixed promptly by Lexus Coventry, the supplying dealer.

Nothing seems too much trouble and both sales and service inspire confidence.

After a lot of haggling, the cost becomes relatively competitive and of course includes 12 month unlimited mileage warranty and 12 month RAC cover for 2 people and even includes European cover.

Probably,depending on the p/x valuation and what/where you purchase

By how much are we talking loads?

Is it likely to fail the MOT? Sticking a fresh MOT on the car will make it much more attractive.

spare key may not matter. depends what your trading in,what they gave as valuation,what your buying and cost. A lot depends on their margin on the car they are selling.

Spare key,Tax,Mot,service records.... Is all penny's compared to the extra 1500-2000 that they charge compared to a private seller/dealer i don't think they'll be too bothered if your car is not worth going on their forecourt they will just put it to auction they may make it sound like a drama but really its not

Personally buy from a main dealer

Thats my 2ps worth Good Luck

Spare key,Tax,Mot,service records.... Is all penny's compared to the extra 1500-2000 that they charge compared to a private seller/dealer i don't think they'll be too bothered if your car is not worth going on their forecourt they will just put it to auction they may make it sound like a drama but really its not

Thank you.

Any tips on what I can say when they try and push the value down on my car as I don't have the Spare Key and only 6 days MOT?

depends what your trading in,what they gave as valuation,what your buying and cost. A lot depends on their margin on the car they are selling.

The above affects what you say. They may not be bothered but be prepared to walk away, it usually produces more leeway on their behalf.

1 Tip walk away.... I bet your bottom dollar you won't get back in your car without having done a deal.

Just stress you love the car your going to buy but your not willing to budge on the px agreement,

Ps did they ask you how many keys you had when you struck the deal (i don't think so) so the issue is really the road tax for the sake of say what £70? they won't let you walk,

Good luck

Thank you.

Any tips on what I can say when they try and push the value down on my car as I don't have the Spare Key and only 6 days MOT?

Dont do what I did and assume that just because you are buying from a main dealer that everything is rosy..and dont let your guard down ..for example..

Check that service history...a Lexus approved service history doesnt actually mean a 'full service history'...and that is a FACT...they miss services (or ex owners do) get your paws on the book and check it..(if it exists)..if no book get them to print out the computer records in front of you.To be honest its all on computer but you want a service book when you come to sell it privately!! (yes we do Lexus)

Accident damage and warranty claims...naturally they wont tell you the 'truth' even if you ask now will they....do what I did..go to another Lexus dealer give them the reg and they will let you know the score on those warranty items. Indeed they will tell you every nasty little thing so that you dont buy it and buy from them instead :shutit:

Contact the previous keeper if you can..i found his number on the paperwork they let me look through..

Forget the 30 day part exchange thing....they will try their hardest not to find a suitable replacement.

Also remember that the part ex they offer you doesnt mean jack...(apologies if you know this) what they do is lower the price of the car you are buying (but dont tell you)so if you ever ask for a refund it wont reflect the part ex you agreed on. Only gets griefy when they cant be arsed to find a suitable replacement and you want your money back.

Apart from that...Ive had no problems since and they have treated me very, very well :whistling:

Indeed one day I might stop dripping on about it...but not just yet.

so the issue is really the road tax for the sake of say what £70? they won't let you walk,

It is the MOT mate, not road tax. Sorting an MOT could cost thousands (probably won't but it could), so they may take a bit of budging with that one even if you do try and walk away.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your feedback.

I'm thinking of doing a px on my car, but I can't find my Spare Key and I mistakenly told them my car has about 6 months MOT when acutally it only has 6 Days, will this effect the orginal valuation they put on my car?

HELP.

I told the dealer about the Service and lack of MOT and he said that's fine, we will keep the Service Book of the car I want to buy and once the MOT is done we will send the Service Book that to you in the post.

He also said he wants me to pay for the MOT and any additional expenses which they produce a budget of £300.

So my concern is how do I know that if I'm getting stung and they couls easliy so yes they've done the MOT and you have to pay us xyz and then once you've done that we will send you the Service Book.

What are your thoughs

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm thinking of doing a px on my car, but I can't find my Spare Key and I mistakenly told them my car has about 6 months MOT when acutally it only has 6 Days, will this effect the orginal valuation they put on my car?

HELP.

I told the dealer about the Service and lack of MOT and he said that's fine, we will keep the Service Book of the car I want to buy and once the MOT is done we will send the Service Book that to you in the post.

He also said he wants me to pay for the MOT and any additional expenses which they produce a budget of £300.

So my concern is how do I know that if I'm getting stung and they couls easliy so yes they've done the MOT and you have to pay us xyz and then once you've done that we will send you the Service Book.

What are your thoughs

Take it somewhere else for MOT.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links