Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Where Can I Park My Scooter?

shake

heyo!

when i get a scooter im thinking of padlocking it to the lamp post outside on the pavement....

question is, can i get ticketed for this? will they remove my scooter? theres not enough space at the front of the house to lock it up.

any suggestions? (its not allowed inside the house sadly, i wanted to park it up in my sisters room, but she's not keen on the idea)

be careful as some local authorities ticket motorbikes/scooters when on pavements - best to ask the job worths at the council.

if you get a lock make sure it is NOT a lock with the circular security key - u can open these with a pen

Depends where you are - in a residential area with decently wide pavements you'll probably get away with it, especially with a cover on as they are not supposed to remove these to take the licence plate details. Is the lamppost close to the edge of the pavement? If it is, buy a decent length chain and park it in the road whenever possible, but loop the chain round the post.

Buy a decent lock and chain too - go into a proper motorcycle dealer and spend £100 minimum, with Sold Secure tickets on it. You really, really need a quality product, and the £15 chains from B&Q or Halfords aren't good enough. Also, they won't be able to remove the scooter very easily with a chain like that on it!!

the lamp post is in front of the neighbors house, however we have a disabled post outside ours. if i park up at the lamp post on the road, i'd be in effect be taking up a car space which i do not want to do.

i can lock up on the disabled post and then just outside the disabled bay, but i've been told these posts come down easily? i've given it a shake and its pretty strong...

would this post be ok?

If they dont want you to park on the pavement there should be a post with a small no parking sign on it. I got a ticket for parking on the pavement once and the ticket said for having 1 or more wheels on a walkway, all you need to do is make sure there is no wheel on the walk way, prop it up with a brick or something.

If you contact your local council im sure they will let you no if your allowed to park on the pavement.

What scooter you getting ?

At the moment I'm thinking of a Vespa ET4 125cc. Not ridden one yet, but the director at work said i can have a go on his LX 50cc.

Will give the council a call tomorrow.

Thanks!

Buy a decent lock and chain too - go into a proper motorcycle dealer and spend £100 minimum, with Sold Secure tickets on it. You really, really need a quality product, and the £15 chains from B&Q or Halfords aren't good enough. Also, they won't be able to remove the scooter very easily with a chain like that on it!!

sold secure and thatcham approved means absolutly feck all im afraid..... they are meant to last for more than 5 mins under attack but most only last a few seconds im afraid, about 2 months ago i bought one of THESE but as i now know its complete crap and can be cut in under 5 seconds.

If you want a good chain go to http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ they are quite cheap also, watch the vid on the site or on youtube - search for almax.

But its no good having a big chain if it only goes thru the wheel because they just take the wheel off, put it thru the frame if u can.....

oh also DO NOT buy a lock with a circular key way

thanks Rob. that was really useful as i was thinking of an abus lock!

i've called the council and im not allowed to park on the pavement (cars are also not allowed) even though everyone does slightly. if they didnt the road would be alot more narrow than it is now.

hmmm

If they dont want you to park on the pavement there should be a post with a small no parking sign on it.

The law says exactly the opposite - have a look at section 218 of the Highway Code - the important bit says "DO NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement unless signs permit it".

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links