Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Pulsing Rear Brake Lights Is200 (old Group Buy)

Hi all,

something rather nice came through the post the other day, here's a pic

PulsingRearBrakeLEDs.jpg

I from what I have been told these are from an old group buy (organised by Mr.Morse).

They have no fitting instructions whatsoever, so I am after any info from members that have them fitted.

Do they operate as well with normal bulbs or only with the LED's ? (wondering on which is brightest)

Also if there are any video clips of them in operation that would be nice to see. I think on the

Nurburgring trip either Lee-iceman or Sparkystav had them fitted (maybe both :o), but I didn't realise

I was getting some through the post for free (many thanks GORD :D), so I didn't pay too much attention :huh:

Any info gratefully received, cheers in advance

Woz

They only flash when you brake hard so yes they are road legal (new mercs have the same system)

There not necessarily brighter though cause they shine forward (and possibly sideways cant remember) but they dont shine backwards onto the reflecters. but their bright enough.

And yeah both me and Lee have them.

Stav

cheers for the fast replies fellas, apparently they flash faster the harder you brake.

Are they road legal ? Also do threy work better (brighter) with standard bulbs ?

Wozza...as you have no doubt worked out, i've got them on my IS200. Only problem is the warning light on the dash comes on every now and again as the drain on the LED's isn't so great as the standard bulbs, even with those load resistors.

A picture's worth a thousand words.

lrue7.jpg

if anyone is interested in a set of these, i have a set for sale with all load resistors etc in perfect working order. pm me if interested

i took them off the car as they don't work all the time as a result of relying on a ball bearing mechanism to complete the circuit and trigger the pulse. sometimes when cornering and breaking or when there is more stress on one side, only one of the bulbs will pulse and you actually have to put on the anchors pretty hard.

when they are working they look very good, but i have something else in the pipeline that i need to get round to fittin :whistling:

also wozza, the pulse rate is not affected by braking power, its the same throughout IIRC. be careful how u fit the load resistirs as they get VERY HOT and have the potential to melt the light housing

let us know how u get on wozza mate

Do they operate as well with normal bulbs or only with the LED's ? (wondering on which is brightest)

Not sure what you mean by this, the flashing part is incorporated into the bulbs, so without them they don't flash! :P

They don't flash faster you brake, if you shake the bulbs you'll hear a clicking. That's the tilt switch, so basically if you brake hard enough for that switch to be triggered, it flashes, otherwise the lights come on normally.

As the rear reflector on the IS works via light reflected off the back of the housing, I put these bulbs on and then took them straight off as there simply wasn't enough of a difference between the brightness of the sidelight and brightness when the brakes were on. Others may disagree but I didn't want to take the risk (having already been seriously rear ended once before).

There really isn't much to it in terms of installation, simply replace the bulbs with the new ones, and stick the load resistor between the wires going to the brake light and you're done. You don't actually even need the load resistors, they just stop the "bulb out" warning light from coming up on the dash.

I'm quite happy with them, there bright enough for me and you've got the high brake light as well anyway. (and also the fogs if you've done that conversion)

also as for installing i just used that picture Tango put up.

Stav

So Tango, Sparkystav, Lee_iceman do you agree they are not bright enough (re Parthiban above) as they seem bright in Lee's video ?

As Stav says, it wasn't exactly the brightness that was the problem, I just didn't find the difference between sidelights and brake lights large enough to make it obvious (obviously when they're flashing there's no problem)

You'll be able to see it easily if you stick one of the pulse bulbs in and leave the standard bulb in the other socket. The standard bulb will be much brighter when the brakes are on.

However, quite a few people on here have been using them for a while now with no problems so I'm sure they'll be fine and I was just being a wuss...... :blush:

So Tango, Sparkystav, Lee_iceman do you agree they are not bright enough (re Parthiban above) as they seem bright in Lee's video ?

As Stav says, it wasn't exactly the brightness that was the problem, I just didn't find the difference between sidelights and brake lights large enough to make it obvious (obviously when they're flashing there's no problem)

You'll be able to see it easily if you stick one of the pulse bulbs in and leave the standard bulb in the other socket. The standard bulb will be much brighter when the brakes are on.

However, quite a few people on here have been using them for a while now with no problems so I'm sure they'll be fine and I was just being a wuss...... :blush:

Never had a problem with them at all and they've been on the car since that GB from Mike Morse. As I mentioned earlier the warning light for a bulb out comes on now and again, even with the load resistors fitted, but it's infrequent. Flies through it's MOT :) , as always.

• 4 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links