Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

First Autobahn Speed Limit Imposed

maneesh

The northern state of Bremen has become the first in Germany to introduce a speed limit on its motorways.

Officials in Bremen have claimed that the move is for the good of the environment and the 75mph limit will apply to a 60km stretch of motorway or Autobahn, all that the small state has.

Bremen 's environment minister Reinhard Loske said it was ‘a good day for traffic safety and a signal about protecting the environment and climate’.

It is feared the move could spark a domino effect, with more states bringing in limits.

This would spell bad news for Germany’s carmakers, who pride themselves on their high performance models.

The motor industry has the backing of Chancellor Angela Merkel, who rejected a call from her Social Democrat (SPD) coalition partners last year for a motorway speed limit.

However Mr Loske, a green party politician, has now said he will push other ministers in other states to agree on a national speed limit.

The SPD wants an 80mph speed limit, claiming it will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Currently Germany only applies speed limits in traffic bottlenecks and near roadworks.

Source: Pistonheads

Yep I also thought that most of the autobahns had speed limits too............

I don't think it'll change much, it's similar to the roads over here that are still national speed..........can't believe you can legally do 60mph on some country roads as it seems too dangerous but they still exist! :winky:

And then there's the three lane (almost motorway) that is the A406 on which you can only do 40mph for most of it..........makes no sense to me :blink:

And then there's the three lane (almost motorway) that is the A406 on which you can only do 40mph for most of it..........makes no sense to me :blink:

Its so they can catch you speeding and take more money off us :tsktsk:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links