Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Blue Led Dash Conversion

I started myself a 'little' project...

After reading a few of the posts about converting the dash i though i would give it a go.

i could only replace three of the large wedge bulbs in the instrument cluster and had to order the smaller ones.. its not 100% perfect but for less thana tenner im happy with it!! will post pics up when the other bulbs arrive next week..

so i had to decide what to do with the rest of my time.. so i thought aircon lights to match.

Before going any further i think credit goes to Fargo for the original write up and Stav for answering my many questions..

now i like to experiment a little so thought i would try and do it another way.. My plan was to use 2 directional leds in place of each bulb pointing down the light track..

firstly LEDS with resistors..

Maplin helped me out here and dutifully suplied 3MM superbright leds (N31BY) and a 510 resistor (M510R). now this is different to what was in the orginal write up but i was assured that this was the right combo to use so i took the plunge. i then had to solder these together!

050420081271vj2.th.jpg

next it was the task of soldering these to the Aircon board. i positioned two of each and pointed these down the light track (held in place with blue tack whilst soldered!)

050420081275gd2.th.jpg

050420081276nt9.th.jpg

all back together and decided i need to test it!

050420081278it6.th.jpg

so a few adjustments to getteh spread a bit more even and i was happy!

onto the clock.. and this is where it gets tricky, every post i read had issues with getting the light across evenly and with out spots.. so after trying various methods i finished on mounting the LEDS right on the edge of the hold, almost outside of it! (poor pic but only i have for now.)

050420081286wo5.th.jpg

this bought an almost finished look of..

050420081285el6.th.jpg

not bad for less than a tenner!!

i did knock some of the LEDs out a little in the test fit and needed to relign slightly to get the spread better again but was overall very happy.

now i just have to get some more leds for behind the dials, heated seat buttons and the top of the dash nav controls..

now it matches the rest of the things in the car!!

the whole job wasnt as long as i thought, 3 hours tops but prob add another hour onto that for the ones still to do..

would have done the lotbut maplins had run out of leds!!

Looks good mate, congrats on managing it without having to put them all along the rail.

Stav

cheers..

think that the narrow angle leds project the light sufficently around the guide.. its not overly bright but i dont like it be and it matches the lighting on the HU. i think im going to try a slightly brighter set of leds but thats for next weekend!

the leds under the swithces are too bright so need to get dimmer ones..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links