Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Points On License

GWilso

Afternoon all

I keep getting conflicting stories from other drivers on points some say 4 yrs some say 3yrs 1 says it depends on the offence :unsure:

I have 3 points for TS20 (double white line offence) which will be four years ago next month does anyone know how long they should be on my license before I can remove them I thought it was 4yrs but with all the insurence company's wanting to know of any points within 5yrs is there any point in having them removed yet? :blush:

Thanks in advance

The last set of points I got (for fixed camera speeding) the letter that came back with my license said they remain on the license for 4 years but count towards disqualification for 3 years. The insurance companies are just using the 5 year time line so that they can stiff you for longer as the points don't count towards anything from the law side of things. I'm sure before long the insurance companies will just ask "have you had any convictions ever" just so they can nail you for longer.

Technically, there is no reason to have them removed from your license unless you just want a clean looking endorsements section on the driving license counterpart. It has no other effect once they are spent.

Edit: Interestingly on the link posted by Parthiban, some points remain on the license for 11 years (although it doesn't say on the link how long they count towards disqualification) so the insurance companies are missing out on a trick by only asking over a 5 year time span. Means the most serious offences are getting off lightly on their insurance.

I should have said the reason I asked was just been looking around at upgrading to an IS300 insurence premium is quite a rise from the current IS200 so anyway to get the premium down it would be a help and loosing 3 points would make a slight difference i'm sure....

Anyone know if there any company's out there that require less than 5yrs of endorsments? ie 4yrs lol

Cheers

Gordon

Having just gone through the process of re-newing my car insurance I can honestly say I havent found a single company that doesnt want 5yrs history of your points - or accident history - if one does exist - I havent found it.

It doesnt really matter how long the points stay on your licence or are active for DVLA purposes when it comes to insurance - As they will make up their own rules and risk assessments - based on what they want and how they want to work.

For reference - Disqualifications such as those for DR10's remain on your licence for 11 years - which is conveniently 1 year after the standard "licence" is valid for (10 years) - So if you want it removed within 20, you have to pay for a new licence just 1 year after getting your first renewal.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links