Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Phone

Rikos

Although a bit old now, I still think my Sony Ericsson P990i is the mutts nuts... and it runs Blackberry as well..

Have Tomtom satnav on it, 2mp camera, which can scan a business card, and using OCR put the contact details in the address book..

Large touchscreen.. WIFI, etc etc

Contract due for renewal in a few months... I usually get any phone I want for free... no idea how though, cos I only pay £25 a month.

just looking at the upcoming X1.... mmmmm :)

John

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although a bit old now, I still think my Sony Ericsson P990i is the mutts nuts... and it runs Blackberry as well..

Have Tomtom satnav on it, 2mp camera, which can scan a business card, and using OCR put the contact details in the address book..

Large touchscreen.. WIFI, etc etc

Contract due for renewal in a few months... I usually get any phone I want for free... no idea how though, cos I only pay £25 a month.

just looking at the upcoming X1.... mmmmm :)

John

i had the P990i and found it buggy as anything and got rid of it for the Iphone. Now getting rid of that for the X1, that thing is mobile phone sexualness and some VERY good features!!

I've had 2 P990i's... and admittedly, the first was a little buggy... but the 2nd one has been trouble free..

When they sent the replacement, they never picked up the 1st one, so I had 2 of them...

I debranded both, and flashed with generic world 1 software, since then, they have been much better..

Also looked on Vodafone's website, and up to now, the X1 is not in their upcoming list... I even asked today in one of their stores, where they didn't really know whether they are getting it or not.....

I also asked when my contract expired, thinking about April time....... but found out it expired last September !!!!

So I'm free at the moment to choose any network and handset...

John

i've just had a nice long look at the x1, and i'm thinkin thats my next phone, never had SE before cos I was put off a couple of years back when the then current handsets all seemed to be goin faulty (around the time of d750i and k750i)

I've also got the Nokia 6300 and find it's a great phone - fast with no lag, good buttons, clear display, compact size and great battery life.

I always think simpler phones are definitely better. Having said that I do fancy an Iphone!

I would agree simpler is better - it's nice to have a camera etc. but in truth I rarely use the phone for anything other than calls. Having said that I agree the Iphone looks the dogs! And the SE X1 from their preview site looks amazing too.

I've had a quick play with an Iphone a while ago...

It felt quite fluid going through the menus... looks good, and has a very nice screen quality..

the camera has no light, or flash.. but the biggest put off is that it's only available on O2...

methinks apple have dropped a testicle there... (it's only on AT&T in the States) plus they say if you unlock it, they can block it, meaning you have an expensive iTouch player, as the phone part will no longer work.

Sony reckon the X1 will be available in the 2nd half of the year, which in real terms means you can probably get one after Christmas..

John

the camera has no light, or flash.. but the biggest put off is that it's only available on O2...

methinks Apple have dropped a testicle there... (it's only on AT&T in the States) plus they say if you unlock it, they can block it, meaning you have an expensive iTouch player, as the phone part will no longer work.

Whether a network is good or bad is very much a matter of personal preference. Having been with Vodafone, then Orange, then O2, then Orange again I'm now back with O2 through choice, because I think they're the best in the areas I use a phone. I'm also on a pretty good tariff which helps!

Hi Mike..

Although what you say is true... it's not what I meant..

I was referring to the point that if it was available across the networks, surely they would sell more of them.. not that 02 were bad.

I can only presume O2 have done a deal to pay a premium for the handset, to get exclusive rights for it... which really means the price is kept artificially higher than what it is worth.. bad deal for the customer really.. if you really want one, then you are going to have to pay a high price, whereas something like the 8MB N95 could probably be got for free..

Gotta say I quite like the look of the X1 too - except that a couple of things didn't add up, firstly that it ran Windows Mobile and secondly that it had a microSD slot..........and then it all made sense when I found out it's built by HTC!

To be fair though, don't think I can be bothered to wait, because SonyEricsson always have huge delays, and surely it's technically identical to the HTC TouchCruise...........

gotta say the viewty too. i had an N95(3 actually!) and it was good for gimmicks but not so good as a phone, but the viewty has enough of the features i use and it actually works well as a phone!!! and is slim and light.

recommended again.

I see some of you have mentioned the viewty, is this any good then? It looks quite nice and isnt too big.

I went into the shop yesterday and had a look at the phones and the N95 was a bit to bulky and the 850i i didnt like the buttons and there where no others that i liked although the blackberry phone looked nice but the buttons where weird!!

What are LG phones like? Are they like Samsungs where everything makes a niose and you cant turn the sounds off? How reliable are they and easy to use or not?

I used to be in the know how of phones but havent really been bothered for the last couple of years as i've just stuck with the same one.

i used to always have the latest fandango phones, but i never used the features and they were usually glitchy. this viewty is perfect for me. can do photos music and phone. its simple compact and looks good. it does make noises but i'm sure you can turn them off. its just a good PHONE!

i've got a 2gb micro sd card in mine. i know you can go 4gb.

i dont know what SDHC is!

SDHC are the newer high capacity SD cards, anything 4gb and up is SDHC, so if it can do 4gb I guess it is :)

i've got a 2gb micro sd card in mine. i know you can go 4gb.

i dont know what SDHC is!

SDHC are the newer high capacity SD cards, anything 4gb and up is SDHC, so if it can do 4gb I guess it is :)

SDHC means Secure Digital High Capacity - but they come in several different physical sizes e.g. SDHC; Mini SDHC and Micro SDHC. The Micro card measures only 15mm x 10mm but you can get adapters to allow its use in slots for the larger cards providing that the device is SDHC compatible. They also come with differing data transfer rates and I guess the higher speed ones will be more expensive.

I have an 8 Gb, Class 4, Micro SDHC card in my htc TyTN II. The main reason for going to such a large capacity card is that the 'phone has GPS and I use it for walking trips. The large scale mapping software that I use takes up quite a lot of memory. Class 4 is the medium speed card and it works very well for me.

has anyone owned both the viewty and N95 so they can give us a comparison? Pro's and Cons, given that I use my camera on the N95, and music, and I sync it with my pc etc

My K850 survived the trip - it took a right beating too - checking it out I sent over 500 texts in the 2 days I was there along with a crap lot of phone calls and the touch screen is all ok still, took a few vids on the Friday night and it's fine - just the Battery life with the current release of the firmware is crap!

Does the K850 have a touch screen? Didn't know that.......does it work well?

I gave up this morning anyway, the vodafone outbound team called me and offered me an 8gb N95 for free at £25/month for 12 months with one months free internet and vodafone maps, so I got lazy and just took it - I can always send it back if I don't like it when I get it :)

Although from what he was saying the GPS sounds really weird, to those that have one, is there any way to just stick on the TomTom software or something and use it normally?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links