Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ok chaps,

Since I've upgraded my standard wheels to new 18" Baransu wheels, I'm now thinking of lowering the car to make it look a tad better (though I think it doesn't look too bad now!)

My quandary is what to do? Options are:

Do nothing, don't bother as looks ok as is

Get :IS250 US eibach pro spring set - drop front 1.4" drop rear 1.0"

Get :IS350 US eibach pro spring set - drop front 1.0" drop rear 0.8" (not sure if this will work on the IS250?????)

Get :IS250 UK eibach pro spring set - drop 1.0" front and rear

Get :IS350 US Tein H-tech springs - drop front 1.0" and rear 0.6" (not sure if this will work on the IS250?????)

As I have only got 18inchers, the car height has not been raised as much as if I had 19's or 20's - so I'm thinking the US eibach pro spring set will give too much of a drop at the front for my car, however the IS350 eibach pro spring set would give less of a drop but then is it actually worth doing for as slight a drop as this? Although, on the plus side I suppose the ride might not be effected as much if I went with less of a drop!

I do like the idea of a lower drop front to rear though as i think the car would have a better stance so that probably rules out the uk set.

Not sure about the Teins either as heard they can suffer from tilting, ie car drops one side more than the other?!

As you can see am most confused so any help greatly appreciated.....

Tango is your man on this topic.... He did extensive research on the Eibach springs and opted for the US versions if a recall correctly..... And it looks stunning!

The extensive research referred to was the result someone (who shall remain nameless :whistling: ) querying whether the 'cheaper' U.S spec Eibach Pro Springset would actually fit the European second generation IS.

After many telephone conversations with Eibach offices in Germany, U.K and the USA it was established that although the European and USA specifications are different design specifications, they are interchangeable with the all the OEM's.

To cut a long story short, the USA spec springs have a more progressive loading, they're a slightly heavier guage and different coil length than the European. If you're interested as to why this is the case, drop me a pm.

Thorien, the ride height doesn't alter to any noticable degree dependent on rim diameter providing you fit the correct tyre profile...bigger rims have a lower profile tyre to ensure the rolling radius remains the same...there are various rim/tyre charts to allow you to calculate this within acceptable tolerances. http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

Also be aware that any drop will cause an increase to the slightly negative OEM camber settings....mine has -1 degree +28 minutes at each front wheel, -1 degree +39 minutes at each rear wheel. These settings exceed the OEM settings and are not recoverable because the second generation IS unlike the first gen, has no camber adjustment.

To be honest I'd already purchased the US spec springs when the person queried it, so I wasn't even aware there was a difference...just that they were cheaper in the States :blush: . Anyway, glad to say the query was resolved and I'm more than happy with the results ^_^

After many telephone conversations with Eibach offices in Germany, U.K and the USA it was established that although the European and USA specifications are different design specifications, they are interchangeable with the all the OEM's.

I'm still thinking the 1.4" drop might dwarf my tires?! Also don't want to effect the ride too much and I understand the less the drop the less effected the ride?So am leaning towards the eibach or tein IS350 spring set, are you saying that this will work OK with my car with no problems?

If so which would you recommend? Also do you think it'll be worth doing for this small a change, ie will it even be noticeable?

Lastly which would you go for?

ps: sorry about all the questions! :unsure:

The IS350 has a sports option already lowered, so the figures given by Eibach for the IS350 Springset may not include the OEM drop. I'm not sure on the end result as the IS350 Springset is a different part number than the one for the IS250, but at a guess you'll still end up with similar figures to mine if you fit these....I wouldn't want to go any lower, see pic.

If you want to go for less drop then fit the EiBach European Spec Springs for a drop of 30 mm all round.

sidexi2.jpg

Definitely don't want to go any lower! Was thinking higher hence the 350 spring set instead, but am unsure if either the eibachs or teins will fit!

Don't fancy the uk spring set as it gives an even drop all round, prefer the front slightly lower than the back. IMO gives a better stance....

Also the costs are less in the US! ;)

Definitely don't want to go any lower! Was thinking higher hence the 350 spring set instead, but am unsure if either the eibachs or teins will fit!

Don't fancy the uk spring set as it gives an even drop all round, prefer the front slightly lower than the back. IMO gives a better stance....

Also the costs are less in the US! ;)

Did you really read my posts??? :unsure: OK I'll make it plain...you have two options with the EiBach springs...either the USA 1.4"/1" drop or the European 30mm drop all round.

From what you've said you'll need to buy the US spec Eibachs when you're in the States and hand carry them back, as I did.

I'm sorry I cannot help you with the Teins as I haven't looked at them with a view to fittting.

I did read em ...lol :P Honest guv!

I'm just confused!! And new at this so forgive me my ignorance, but if the eibach 350 set give less drop then (as long as they fit) they would still be an option? and would give less drop than yours?

I did read em ...lol :P Honest guv!

I'm just confused!! And new at this so forgive me my ignorance, but if the eibach 350 set give less drop then (as long as they fit) they would still be an option? and would give less drop than yours?

Sorry, think I'm also getting confused.

The IS350 without the sports option has the same ride height as the IS250 (ground clearance is 5.7" /145 mm on both).

EiBach Pro-set for the IS350, part # 8287.140 reduces it by 1" on the front and 0.8" on the rear.

EiBach Pro-Set for the IS250 (US) part # 8288.140 reduces it by 1.4" front and 1" rear.

It's a bit of a mystery why the Pro-Set for the IS350 apparently reduces the ride height by less than the similar set for the IS250 as you'd expect the higher performance model to require an equally, if not lower CG to improve the handling.

I have only researched the differences between the US and European Eibach Pro-Sets for the IS250. If you are set on a staggered drop, but don't want to go too low I suggest you enquire of EiBach USA as to whether the 350 part number will actually fit the 250 suspension. The discs and calipers are different (bigger and heavier) but I'm not sure about the Shock Absorbers..it could be these that explain the difference.

The alternative of course is to use coilovers, and there are many makes available, including Lexus 'F' Sport & TOMs. These will allow you to adjust the ride height to your own requirements. The downside of course is that they're expensive, even if you buy them in the States.

Thanks for the info, and sorry for confusing you! :ohmy:

I'll email Eibach and Tein and see what the score is, I'm hoping the minimal drop will help with the ride quality and still look better than stock, but there's no way I could afford coilovers right now ! Her indoors would not be happy... :megaangry: :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links