Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Need Some Advise

kam05

My waterpump is leaking, well actually, the leak appears to come from the by pass pipe above the waterpump.

My question can I just change the by pass pipe 'o' rings and get away with not changing the waterpump? Or it is better to change the waterpump as well as the 'o' rings? As far as I can tell, the waterpump itself is ok. Does anyone know the cost of a replacement waterpump and/or 'o' rings for the by pass pipe?

The waterpump was changed at 50k, car now has done 100k (almost). Wish the waterpump failed last year when I changed the timing belt, idler and tenisioner, gonna have to rip it all apart again.

Thanks......Kam

out of interest, is your coolant leaking from where you top it up? i started a thread a while back, as my coolant is vanashing when i top it up. ive not had time to get it checked out

Swfcdan,

My coolant is leaking from the by pass pipe, the little pipe that sits above/side of the waterpump, its not leaking from where you would top it up. I did see your other post about the waterpump leak. I know either my waterpump is failing or the by pass 'o' rings have perished, as I can see red coolant drops on my driveway.

I suggest you look at the by pass pipe on your car, if it is wet or the pipe is dry but there is red crystalised stuff on it, then thats where your coolant is leaking from.

So, what so peeps on LOC suggest, change the waterpump or just change the 'o' rings on the by pass pipe or change both the waterpump and the 'o' rings?

Thanks for your reply Rob. Will change the 'o' rings to start with. Would the pump housing cause a coolant leak? I've never heard of that one before...

i have been told its metal rings but i suspect its actually rubber, i mention the housing only because there might be a bit of corrosion then it wont seal but i suspect the rings have hardened and thats why the leak has started.

out of interest, is your coolant leaking from where you top it up? i started a thread a while back, as my coolant is vanashing when i top it up. ive not had time to get it checked out

hi mate ive got the same prob with the coolant leaking from where you fill it up it either comes from the top cap ( you can see the coolant where it has dried up ) or from the over flow expansion pipe that comes from it.......had a look at the cap and there is no rubber ring to seal it which is strange just the plastic cap that clips on..do i get a new cap?

water pump is £100+vat from Lexus Bolton, price may vary for your location

Thanks for the price, Rory, I managed to get a quote from Chris S as well.

It sonds like it is the water bypass pipe. :winky: You will find the water bypass pipe can be bought for approx £17ish. I had mine done 3yr ago as mine was leaking from there. you don't need to take off the pump.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links