Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is 250 Se And Se-l Mixup

Hello everyone,

I purchased my IS 250 from a private prestige car dealer over 6 months ago. I bought the car assuming it was an SE. It was advertised as an SE, and even on the Logbook it is an SE and DVLA vehicle enquiries website shows it as an SE. But when i came to registering the car with my local lexus dealer they told me the car is an SE-L, and now after getting an SE courtesy from my local lexus during my service, it seems mine is an SE-L. The SE that I had as courtesy did not have seat memory, no electrochromatic mirrors, no parking sensors and no HID lights. Mine however has all this and when looking at the stickers on my car, one of them actually says Lexus IS 250 SE-L.

Before me there has only been one owner of this car and it has been bought and serviced at the same lexus dealer all the time until i purchased it.

I am just wondering what i should do? should i leave it or should i rectify this? as the DVLA thinks its an SE and so does my Insurance company. What would be the process of rectifying this?

I am just wondering what i should do? should i leave it or should i rectify this? as the DVLA thinks its an SE and so does my Insurance company. What would be the process of rectifying this?

You should certainly rectify this. It's important that your insurance company knows what they are insuring and it's also vital that insurer and DVLA agree so that you can tax the car without any problems being thrown up.

I assume you only paid SE money. :winky:

I assume you only paid SE money. :winky:

yeap i only paid for SE :winky:

so how do i go about rectifying this? should i get lexus to do it or is it a simple DVLA form? if so whats the process?

Hello everyone,

I purchased my IS 250 from a private prestige car dealer over 6 months ago. I bought the car assuming it was an SE. It was advertised as an SE, and even on the Logbook it is an SE and DVLA vehicle enquiries website shows it as an SE. But when i came to registering the car with my local lexus dealer they told me the car is an SE-L, and now after getting an SE courtesy from my local lexus during my service, it seems mine is an SE-L. The SE that I had as courtesy did not have seat memory, no electrochromatic mirrors, no parking sensors and no HID lights. Mine however has all this and when looking at the stickers on my car, one of them actually says Lexus IS 250 SE-L.

Before me there has only been one owner of this car and it has been bought and serviced at the same lexus dealer all the time until i purchased it.

You should be able to find out if its an se or se-l by checking the chassis number..just tell dvla and your insurance that it maybe an se-l and ask lexus GB of the chassis number when it left the factory....just do all you can to be on the safe side.

Lucky person you...every cloud has a silver lining!

I bet you were wondering how much better and SE-L could be given that you thought you had an SE!!

As above, go to the dealer, they should verify that it did leave the factory as an SE-L. Try and get this in writing. Then call the DVLA, you may have to write to them, but call them first. Tell your insurance company too (in fact do that first so you know your are protected/insured to drive it). Get the paperwork sorted out, including any references in the service book, log book etc, and you should be fine.

Nice one!

I contacted the Lexus Dealer that the car was purchased from NEW and they have confirmed that the car is an SEL MM Auto and that is the specs that it left the factory as. I have requested if they could put that in writing for me so I can possibly write to DVLA and have this ammended. Would that be sufficient to rectify the problem?

Plus send a copy you your insurance with an explanation. At the moment you are insured for an SE so if your car was stolen / written off you would get around £3K less as well as answering awkward questions. Additionally make sure your local Lexus dealer update any service history etc. to make sure the service book shows SEL otherwise you may have a problem when you come to sell it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let you all know that I have now got back my new modified V5 from DVLA with the corrections. The car is now an SE-L on the V5. Thanks for everyones help and advice

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links