Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Happy new year to everyone.

I have owned my 250 SEL Auto since May 07, Looks were the first attraction and a good sales pitch regarding quality/reliability were the main basis in my decision making as I only keep my cars for 24 months tops. Though mpg is excellent at an average 30, interior finish is good and yes I still think the car looks stunning, overall I have to say I have been disapointed with the car, the two main issues have been constant rattles from day one (why not sorted in the PDI?) and road noise. The rattles appear now to have been sorted but any advice for tyres? Currently running front and rear Potenza Front 225-45-R17 90W and Rear 245-45-R17 95W. I know it's very much down to individual personal perceptions but never have I experienced so much noise from tyres.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Hello bobc

The Bridgestone is known to be a noisy tyre...... Your pretty much stuck with it i'm afraid.

If the Bridgestone is known to be noisy, can you suggest some better alternatives?

Are the standard fit Dunlops any quieter, or how about the newly specified TOYOs (R32A ? designed for the IS250)

Also, does anyone have any views on the Yokohama AVS dB S2?

The car really is spoilt by the road noise with most roads in the South being coarse surface, high grip? types.

When you do hit a patch of smooth quiet tarmac the difference is amazing - and then you can hear that the rest of the car is silent.

Are the standard fit Dunlops any quieter, or how about the newly specified TOYOs (R32A ? designed for the IS250)

I changed from the OEM fitted Bridgestones to Toyo T1-R's on my IS250 (also changed from Bridgestones to Toyo Proxes Four on my IS200 Sport). Even though the Toyos are on 19" rims considerably wider/lower profile tyre and stiffer springs on the 250, the reduction in tyre noise is very noticable. The Proxes Four on the IS200 17" rims are also a lot quieter. Sorry I cannot comment specifically on the Toyo R32A, but my expectation would be an improvement on the Bridgestones for both grip and noise level. :unsure:

bobc ...You were unlucky with the rattles...my 250 SE-L remains as quiet as the proverbial...as a matter of interest do you have the Mark Levinson pack?

I think Jamboo drove the IS with OEM Dunlops and said that it is much better, too.

Bridgestone potenza is hell loud tire in every car. I don't understand how lexus can fit it as OEM tire

I changed from the OEM fitted Bridgestones to Toyo T1-R's on my IS250 (also changed from Bridgestones to Toyo Proxes Four on my IS200 Sport). Even though the Toyos are on 19" rims considerably wider/lower profile tyre and stiffer springs on the 250, the reduction in tyre noise is very noticable. The Proxes Four on the IS200 17" rims are also a lot quieter. Sorry I cannot comment specifically on the Toyo R32A, but my expectation would be an improvement on the Bridgestones for both grip and noise level. :unsure:

bobc ...You were unlucky with the rattles...my 250 SE-L remains as quiet as the proverbial...as a matter of interest do you have the Mark Levinson pack?

Thanks for this information, I'm pleased to learn that I'm not the only one to consider the road noise levels to be so high. I don't have the Mark Levinson pack, the reason being that as I keep my cars for a short (ish) period the residual values remain very high, the addition of multi-media and sat nav systems would not have increased this value to a degree that would compensate for the initial outlay. The rattles appeared to come from the centre dashboard to start, then from the area (dashboard) directly infront of the driver and finaly the B pillar right by my ear. In fairness I think the Lexus dealer was well aware of these issues with other owners but obviously would not admit to it.

I don't have the Mark Levinson pack, the reason being that as I keep my cars for a short (ish) period the residual values remain very high, the addition of multi-media and sat nav systems would not have increased this value to a degree that would compensate for the initial outlay. The rattles appeared to come from the centre dashboard to start, then from the area (dashboard) directly infront of the driver and finaly the B pillar right by my ear.

Thanks for the reply, just wondered if rattles in the 250 SE-L were only in the non ML/MM models. No real reason to think there's any difference in the way the car is trimmed, but although most of the 220D appear to suffer from rattles comparitively few of the 250's do. :unsure:

Matus is correct - I found the Sportmaxx a bit quieter.

At motorway speeds the Lexus is as noisy as the A4 I used to have overall, unless you hit new asphalt. Then you realise that most of what you hear i the new IS is pure road noise - there is almost a complete absence of any other ambient noise. Around town, on anything but low revs and billiard table smooth tarmac, the Audi was on a par overall. The Audi's biggest problem was wind noise, but you could impove it by switching to "re-circ" and shutting off the windscreen/bonnet vents.

When we tested the IS250 2 years ago, I immediately noticed the tyre rumble, even at very low town speeds. It was like a droning - almost "shot" wheel bearing type of noise.

Now I don't notice it in the Lexus at all. It's one of the prices you pay for wide low prof's....though I could have sworn the B'em 320d Sport was much quieter (but cr4p ride)!

I have the dunlops on - must say I have not noticed any undue road noise - in fact the car is the quietest/smoothest I have had and many passengers have commented on how quiet the car is. The odd creak on my interior is only when it is very cold - even then, after a mile or so it is perfect .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links