Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rx300 - Was Thinking Of Doing Front Discs And Pads Myself?

My RX300 needs new front discs and pads, and the rear pads are wearing.

I was wondering about doing it all myself. Over the years I have changed pads on many of my own BMWs and Mercs - but haven't tried changing discs since my Ford Capri :-)

Anyone tried changing the front discs on an RX300? Hard/Difficult? Special tools?

I presume the pads are easy - any recommendations?

Cheers

Paul

That's a good point. You know what these Lexus dealers are like ;-)

Told me they were near the limit on thickness. Skimming wouldn't help that would it.

I think I will just go for a full set of new pads, and leave the discs. No problems on changing the discs are there?

Are you sure you need to replace the discs already on a 2004 model? I had mine skimmed at around 50k when the first set of pads were changed on a 2003 Camry, not sure how much if any cheaper it would be though.

I too would be surprised if the discs needed doing on a car of that age. Although you don't mention the mileage - presume it isn't intergalactic :)

I'd take the wheel off myself and check the lip - not scientific but if there is a defo. lip then change them, else see how you go. Many places over estimate change intervals - partly due to money (IE: it is a very easy job for them and therefore makes more profit) and partly due to them estimating whether or not the bits would survive until next service.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links