Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Thoughts On New Is250 - Help Needed

Have had my new IS250SE for about a month now - it replaced an Alfa 159, which lasted for about 2 months from new before I decided it had to go on the basis I simply could never get comfortable driving it, the so called upgraded BOSE hifi was rubbish, and some of the build quality left a lot to be desired eg a sharp edge on the gear stick.

Well, as to my Lexus: Overall very happy (the MM is great, as is the overall build quality) with it other than a couple of issues. Firstly, the car seems to steer to the left, I think consequently or maybe incidentally, it's the hardest car to drive I've ever had. Secondly, the headlights are simply awful and I dread night time driving on dipped lights, it's almost impossible to see anything.

I felt safer if less comfortable in the 159, and most people seem to think that car was better looking, though most of the 'chrome' external fittings were actually plastic eg the front grill etc and looked decidely cheap very close up. Fuel economy on the Alfa was much better.

So as to the issues with the IS250. Has anyone noticed similar problems?

Steering left check tyre pressures first, headlights check adjustment or park it flat against a wall or garage door at night - the beam should be continuous all the way across ( not left light high as on previous cars ).

The steering problem is at speed - it just seems to have difficult staying in a straight line. Anything under 60 or so is fine

Have had my new IS250SE for about a month now - it replaced an Alfa 159, which lasted for about 2 months from new before I decided it had to go on the basis I simply could never get comfortable driving it, the so called upgraded BOSE hifi was rubbish, and some of the build quality left a lot to be desired eg a sharp edge on the gear stick.

Well, as to my Lexus: Overall very happy (the MM is great, as is the overall build quality) with it other than a couple of issues. Firstly, the car seems to steer to the left, I think consequently or maybe incidentally, it's the hardest car to drive I've ever had. Secondly, the headlights are simply awful and I dread night time driving on dipped lights, it's almost impossible to see anything.

I felt safer if less comfortable in the 159, and most people seem to think that car was better looking, though most of the 'chrome' external fittings were actually plastic eg the front grill etc and looked decidely cheap very close up. Fuel economy on the Alfa was much better.

I've noticed that my car (250SE auto) has a tendancy to wander, particularly when braking. I've always put it down to something to do with the tyres and poor road surfaces as the problem is so erratic.

Regarding the dipped headlights, I agree. I've often found myself wondering if they're actually on!

Just a thought maybe taking the car to tony @ wim ( send him a pm or click on the banner at the top.. thats his web site) and book it in for him to have a look at it he`s the geometry guru on here if you live near hemel hempstead or just ask him on the probs you have with the car`s steering he knows his stuff just take a look at his site and forum`s..!

• 5 weeks later...

The problem you are having with the headlights is common to most new cars. The beam pattern has altered from a few years ago when some light from the passenger side unit would be directed up to the left - picking out hedgerows and signs well into the distance - my previous BMW 5 had superb HIDs that I still miss today. The HIDs on my SE-L have such a dramatic cut-off with no light going up that you cannot see any distance at all, the area just ahead is perfectly lit with good width, but above the cut-off its simply black.

The only advantage of the present lights is that you don't need to alter them when driving on the continent (I think thats correct).

The HIDs are probably worse than the Halogens in this respect as the beam control is tighter, and the lit area is brighter.

You get used to it over time, but may need to moderate your speed at night on unlit roads.

sorry about the fly comment - the spider or ant that is next to the Gold Membership logo (under Steve above) is mesmerising - i thought it was trapped under the LCD panel on my laptop, but then i did have a few....

I must say I find the lights on my IS250 sport to be very effective at night, and far better than the IS200. Tracking/pressure checks should solve the steering, if not check with dealer. If you are driving on muddy roads and the headlights are covered with dirt or dust, this may effect the lights, so check that front (and rear) lamps are clear. I must agree with lex-mike though - unless there is a fault - if you cannot see clearly in night driving, you may be driving too quickly, especially on country roads!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links