Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Questions From A New Member

Good Morning one and all,

I'm new to this forum, so apologies in advance if I step out of line.

We have had our RX400h SE for 17 months (45,000 miles) now and, although it has not been perfect I think we are generally pleased with it. Its my wife's company car and as such we don't worry about servicing costs or indeed fuel consumption (average 31mpg) although the constant refuelling is a bit of a pain.

There are a few points that more experienced forum members may be able to help with, and I would appreciate any input.

The fuel tank capacity is stated as 60L (a little over 13 imperial gallons) which with our consumption of 31mpg (which I have confirmed with the brim to brim method) should give a range (to empty) of a little over 400 miles. However, the warning light comes on at around 300 miles with the guage showing only fumes remaining. It is also very difficult to fill the tank so that the guage shows full. I can only conclude that the guage is not properly calibrated - underestimating the fuel in the tank when both full and with a couple of gallons remaining - and that the warning light is linked to the guage readout. Alternatively, it may be that we are unable to actually deliver the full 60L to the tank or that some 10L to 15L remain as unusable in the bottom of the tank when the guage reads empty.

My wife has continued driving the car with the warning light on for up to 85 miles showing a total of 385 miles between fills but this is not a comfortable experience. The dealer in Brighton would only say that the guage is working properly and wouldn't listen to my wife's logic. we have never been able to put more than 50L in the tank. Is this normal on the 400h and how is it explained?

We also have the leather squeaking between the rear seat squabs - is there a known cure for this as the dealer just says "yes, thats right the leather squeaks"?

Finally, I have read about various resets for the electronic gadgets. What I'm particularly interested in is the door mirrors automatically folding when the key is removed, and the electric window isolation switch just switching the rear windows off rather than the rear and front passenger windows.

Any comments or ideas would be graefully received. In general we like the car and the congestion charge exemption is great - if a little odd.

Hi, and welcome to LOC.

Sorry I can't help you with the "problems" on the 400

Someone may be along soon who has one. Just didn't want you to think you were being ignored on this post.

Regarding squeaky leather try the following which worked for me :

1) buckle up rear seat belts - mine were rubbing on seats and making noise

2) drop armrest - this where my squeaking came from and lowering the armrest stopped it.

As for the fuel gauge - yep they are very pessimistic. By my calculations they red light comes on with at least 6-8 litres left in the tank.

Good luck!

Regarding squeaky leather try the following which worked for me :

Run your fingers down the gap between the backrests of the seats - my car squeaks after flattening and then raising the seats. This seams to introduce some tension between the leather of the seat backs. Running a finder down the "crack" appears to reduce it and stops the squeak!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links