Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rear Tyres Rubbing On Arches

Keith Bowler

Just had some new rear tyres fitted on my Mk1 GS 300.

They are 285mm wide and are rubbing on the top of the plastic wheelarch liner when the car is loaded.

I have had the same width tyres on before with no problems. Current tyres are ContiSport3's, previous tyres were Dulop SP 8080's.

Any tips on d-i-y solutions before I resort to getting the arches 'rolled'.

Thanks folks

They are 285mm wide and are rubbing on the top of the plastic wheelarch liner when the car is loaded.

I have had the same width tyres on before with no problems. Current tyres are ContiSport3's, previous tyres were Dulop SP 8080's.

Thanks folks

Use a heat gun on the liner and push it back with a suitable tool....something round and wooden, or your hand in a thick glove.

Thanks folks

Use a heat gun on the liner and push it back with a suitable tool....something round and wooden, or your hand in a thick glove.

When I mentioned liner i mean the plastic cover trim that is fitted around the lip of the wheel arch of the car body, not an internal liner.

You can move the camber 30' or so..... Not exactly DIY and somewhat sacrificial to the tyres but it will change the camber curve.

Hi Tony

I am reluctant to play with the rear wheel camber as since you adjusted things a year or so ago the rear tyres have been performing remarkably well with no abnormal wear.

I may just get the outer lip of the wheelarch rolled a touch. It can only be about 5mm or so out.

There is also a ridge on the outer lip of the wheelarch trim which probably reduced clearance by about 2-3mm so I will try reducing that down.

You can move the camber 30' or so..... Not exactly DIY and somewhat sacrificial to the tyres but it will change the camber curve.

Hi Tony

I am reluctant to play with the rear wheel camber as since you adjusted things a year or so ago the rear tyres have been performing remarkably well with no abnormal wear.

I may just get the outer lip of the wheelarch rolled a touch. It can only be about 5mm or so out.

There is also a ridge on the outer lip of the wheelarch trim which probably reduced clearance by about 2-3mm so I will try reducing that down.

That explains things..... Before with the old tyres they were worn before the camber was reset... Now the camber is correct the new tyres with plenty of tread are rubbing.

Hi Tony

That explains things..... Before with the old tyres they were worn before the camber was reset... Now the camber is correct the new tyres with plenty of tread are rubbing.

Tony

The tyres were new 'cos you fitted them for me before you did the geometry check and adjustment.

Looking at the tyres they seem to fit differently on the wheels and appear to project further at the rim but just enough to rub.

I am going to see how it goes as they only rub noticably when the car is loaded. It's probably not a bad thing as it has forced me to change my driving style in the old barge.

I think the solution will be to go for 275's next time!

Cheers

Keith

Any particular reason why you went for 285 over the standard 275's, are they cheaper?

I had the same problem when I fitted Continental Contisport tyres on my BMW, Bridgestone SO3 and Eagle F1 didn't catch the rear arches, the continentals did. I think it is their "feature" to help stop curb scuffing of alloy wheels.

Any particular reason why you went for 285 over the standard 275's, are they cheaper?

I had the same problem when I fitted Continental Contisport tyres on my BMW, Bridgestone SO3 and Eagle F1 didn't catch the rear arches, the continentals did. I think it is their "feature" to help stop curb scuffing of alloy wheels.

285's are readily available and therefore cheaper. I had 285's on it before changing tyres.

As you say its probably the Continental's rim protection feature as it is far better than on the Dunlop's that were on the car previously.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links