Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Air Dams Under Front Bumper - 1996 Mk3

After being ritually mugged by local Lexus dealer for changing a Battery and its terminal clamp, I decide to renegue on my vow not to work on cars anymore.

To replace a well-busticated nearside air dam (the wee flexibe thing under each side of front bumper) I purchased one from said dealership and, arriving home, prostrated myself before the beast. But there are no bolts, setscrews, rivets, self-tappers, etc!

Anyone know how to get the old one off?

After being ritually mugged by local Lexus dealer for changing a battery and its terminal clamp, I decide to renegue on my vow not to work on cars anymore.

To replace a well-busticated nearside air dam (the wee flexibe thing under each side of front bumper) I purchased one from said dealership and, arriving home, prostrated myself before the beast. But there are no bolts, setscrews, rivets, self-tappers, etc!

Sadly no... but will do shortly cos i have to replace both ..how much is the part?

After being ritually mugged by local Lexus dealer for changing a battery and its terminal clamp, I decide to renegue on my vow not to work on cars anymore.

I have the same problem, offside nearly worn away and the neraside is torn and worn. Just had a look under my mk iv and they seem to have a metal edge which fits with clips into the bottom of the bumper. I presume the best way is to drop the front bumper and fit them that way. I've just noticed I am missing a few clips and bolts holding my underpans in,looks like some work for me now.

Bets of luck, let us know how you manage it.

I have the same problem, offside nearly worn away and the neraside is torn and worn. Just had a look under my mk iv and they seem to have a metal edge which fits with clips into the bottom of the bumper. I presume the best way is to drop the front bumper and fit them that way. I've just noticed I am missing a few clips and bolts holding my underpans in,looks like some work for me now.

Bets of luck, let us know how you manage it.

I recently wanted to replace the missing air dams on mine and popped into Lexus to enquire about parts etc

The plastic bits are indeed c£37 each but each side is held on by two metal brackets that cost £80 per side !

I decided to look for the brackets at a breakers before taking the plunge.

In respect of fittings, on looking at the parts screen and talking to the parts chap, it would appear that one long bracket sits inside the spoiler lip and has verticle teeth that poke down through the holes in the spoiler and then the other bolts too it from outside with a clamp/sandwich effect.

Now I haven't tried or seen these parts so could be totally wide of the mark but this may help.

In respect of fittings, on looking at the parts screen and talking to the parts chap, it would appear that one long bracket sits inside the spoiler lip and has verticle teeth that poke down through the holes in the spoiler and then the other bolts too it from outside with a clamp/sandwich effect.

Thanks for this. But when I looked under mine, there were no apparent fixings. Perhaps this clip could be prized off?

The plot thickens...

Hello, this might be a bit late for you but--- 2 weeks ago I sold my Mk 3 to neighbour (that's confidence for you), last week his wife tried to run over the recycling bin damaging the lower bits on the bumper. Swapped them both in 2 hours this morning. Actually he did it while I stood and supervised, tried to look as if I knew what to do, made tea etc.

First you need to undo the wheel arch liner at the front (or completely if you like). With this done you have access to the fitting, There are 5 nuts to undo on each side on the top, the bolts should remain in place. These are a bit awkward to get at but he did them with a 1/4 drive socket wrench. On this car they all came off with no trouble but you may need a squirt of WD40. The only fiddly bit was lining up the holes through the fitting, metal support bar and the bumper when putting back together, swearing at it helped.

Remember to put the corner pieces over the middle section.

Hope this may help.

P.S the recycling bin was smashed.

Hello, this might be a bit late for you but--- 2 weeks ago I sold my Mk 3 to neighbour (that's confidence for you), last week his wife tried to run over the recycling bin damaging the lower bits on the bumper. Swapped them both in 2 hours this morning. Actually he did it while I stood and supervised, tried to look as if I knew what to do, made tea etc.

First you need to undo the wheel arch liner at the front (or completely if you like). With this done you have access to the fitting, There are 5 nuts to undo on each side on the top, the bolts should remain in place. These are a bit awkward to get at but he did them with a 1/4 drive socket wrench. On this car they all came off with no trouble but you may need a squirt of WD40. The only fiddly bit was lining up the holes through the fitting, metal support bar and the bumper when putting back together, swearing at it helped.

Remember to put the corner pieces over the middle section.

Hope this may help.

P.S the recycling bin was smashed.

Aha! So the secret is revealed. Very many thanks and I shall have a bash, now. When I get cross doing it, I will just think of the money I'm saving. Also, I send my condolences to Mr Wheeliebin for sacrificing himself in the interests of knowledge-sharing.

Dunnit!

Straightforward, if rather fiddly. First time I had grovelled about under a car for three years, but I had a great feeling of achievement when I'd finished.

I should like to thank Passman, his neighbour, his neighbour's wife, the wheelie bin, my producer, my director, my stylist...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links