Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Anger

Ellz

took my car into local garage today had work done there before so they know me.

The car was getting its wheel bearings done.

I get a call off my mate saying your cars broken down on the A27, i was in a bit of shock to say the least.

Ring them up they say its on the way back the bearings fine but the car cut out and wouldnt start.

Got down there to have a look and the thing wont start had a quick check of fuses they all seemed fine. They said they check it out and get back to me.

I told them this has never happened before so whats happened, "we've not done anything sir" my **** **** I drove the car at the weekend fine for well over an hour it was running lovely, stalling slightly but thats due to the new throttle body and me not adjusting the cable yet.

All I can hope is it something simple like a fuse or a pinched fuel pipe.

If something massive has gone wrong where do I stand with who pays for it, as far as im concerned i took it in for a wheel bearing to be done and now something else has gone wrong which was working fine when it went in.

To say im ****** off is an understatement

when my wheel bearings have been going in the past, the garage I take it to have never taken the car out. They jack the car up and spin the wheel and also see whether there is any movement in the wheel which suggests wheel bearing.

Shouldnt the garage have not done that and then replaced the wheel bearing?? I see that the blame falls in there hands mate as the car was in their possession at the time.

Some garages see that as an excuse to take your car out and give it a good spanking which I think is a joke. That is why I always go to a main dealer now because they treat your car as it should be or they get sacked lol.

Sorry to hear about your car mate.

when my wheel bearings have been going in the past, the garage I take it to have never taken the car out. They jack the car up and spin the wheel and also see whether there is any movement in the wheel which suggests wheel bearing.

Shouldnt the garage have not done that and then replaced the wheel bearing?? I see that the blame falls in there hands mate as the car was in their possession at the time.

Some garages see that as an excuse to take your car out and give it a good spanking which I think is a joke. That is why I always go to a main dealer now because they treat your car as it should be or they get sacked lol.

Sorry to hear about your car mate.

wouldnt trust the main dealers either, my car when newly fitted with the supercharger accrued 6 miles whilst it was having a basic service at Lexus Croydon , of course they deny any knowledge of driving it !

depends what has gone wrong with your car Ellz, no doubt they took it for a joyride but who knows how they might have driven it :crybaby:

Really sorry to hear about this mate it's a real pain in the botty when this happens.

It's happened twice to me, first time i went to pick it up and the clutch had gone and then the second time it had an mot and the altenator went!!!

It's difficult to prove it's their fault but hopefully they'll accept the blame or at least some of it and cut the cost right down

No point resetting the trip computer as they can do exactly the same thing when you return for the car...

I'm gutted to hear about this Elliot, as Barry said, they no doubt took advantage of your car whilst in their hands. I hope that the root of the problem is discovered ASAFP and that it is resolved accordingly.

All the best,

Jamie

Well got the car back seems like the petrol gauge was stuck. So went and got a couple of litres of Vpower £6 worth. Went back put it in and she started up, few problem sorted I WISH!!!!

The TRC light was on, i said that could be due to the ABS sensor being damaged, they said all they did was clean it up and put it back, they took it for a drive round the block and came back it was still on, i said thats £120 for a new one whos going to pay for that, he got a bit annoyed and went and got a laptop, plugged it into the car just under the drivers steering wheel. A few strokes on the keyboard then started up the car and said there you go its gone.

So took it for another drive and it was gone. Drove to petrol station and filled up with Vpower. all the way home it drove like **** as soon as I put my foot down it started to cut.

Now i havent got a clue what this is down to, if he cleared all errors on ECU to get rid of the TRC flashing (he said it was on because it was towed back by RAC van). Would that have cleared my map on the HKS FCON ????

The only other thing is that when i got back before we put the Vpower fuel in we turned the key and the car was nearly starting, where as a couple of hours before it would only turn over, if they put normal fuel in (which they said they didnt) would this make the car do this ?? as its mapped to Vpower 97ron or above ???

There closed now and so is TDi so gonna ring round tomro to see what the hell the problem could be.

Not happy bunny, although the left front bearing is very quiet.

Well got the car back seems like the petrol gauge was stuck. So went and got a couple of litres of Vpower £6 worth. Went back put it in and she started up, few problem sorted I WISH!!!!

The TRC light was on, i said that could be due to the ABS sensor being damaged, they said all they did was clean it up and put it back, they took it for a drive round the block and came back it was still on, i said thats £120 for a new one whos going to pay for that, he got a bit annoyed and went and got a laptop, plugged it into the car just under the drivers steering wheel. A few strokes on the keyboard then started up the car and said there you go its gone.

So took it for another drive and it was gone. Drove to petrol station and filled up with Vpower. all the way home it drove like sh!t as soon as I put my foot down it started to cut.

Now i havent got a clue what this is down to, if he cleared all errors on ECU to get rid of the TRC flashing (he said it was on because it was towed back by RAC van). Would that have cleared my map on the HKS FCON ????

The only other thing is that when i got back before we put the Vpower fuel in we turned the key and the car was nearly starting, where as a couple of hours before it would only turn over, if they put normal fuel in (which they said they didnt) would this make the car do this ?? as its mapped to Vpower 97ron or above ???

There closed now and so is TDi so gonna ring round tomro to see what the hell the problem could be.

Not happy bunny, although the left front bearing is very quiet.

Doubt VERY much if clearing errors on ECU would wipe the TDI map.

Reckon its electrical maybe they gave it a thrashing and dislodged something ?

Doesn't sound good mate! hope you get this problem sorted.

you need some sort of hidden camera system that can be activated when you drop it off for a service and then look at the film later to see what has happened :shifty::whistling:

Jason :P

It could really have been that the tank wa empty, it happened to me after having the FCON fitted, the fuel gauge no longer goes down. If it drives like poo after that that may because some crap from the bottom f the tank has gone into your fuel pump / lines / injectors.

There's a simple fix to the problem of garages using your cars. Everyone knows it goes on. What you do, just get a piece of paper, write the mileage of the car as you pull into the garage and leave it on the passenger seat. They should get the message - very subtly and professionally. To ensure they don't just throw the paper away, jot a few notes on it so they'll leave it alone. You have to be cunning you see. ;)

Keith

What do you mean dislodged something ??? I dont drive the car like a wimp as now i only drive it to enjoy it which means giving it a good redlining. But when someone else drives your car they dont give a crap esspecially if they dont know you

It could really have been that the tank wa empty, it happened to me after having the FCON fitted, the fuel gauge no longer goes down. If it drives like poo after that that may because some crap from the bottom f the tank has gone into your fuel pump / lines / injectors.

Cheers yemgi i'll ask TDi tomro maybe a good long drive might sort it out

What do you mean dislodged something ??? I dont drive the car like a wimp as now i only drive it to enjoy it which means giving it a good redlining. But when someone else drives your car they dont give a crap esspecially if they dont know you

Cheers yemgi i'll ask TDi tomro maybe a good long drive might sort it out

I meant what I said...........whoever drove it it prob did not give a rats bottom about the car (whereas you would)

If its what Guillame said then maybe some injector cleaner from halfrauds will sort it

I was always told never let the tank go lower than just under a 1/4 tank as petrol does break down/go off so keeping it filled with fresh clean petrol and keeping it nicely mixed up. You've probably just picked up a bit of crap in your tank as was said earlier.

Fill it up and give it a blast. :D

Ha... You guys are amazing... A car is a complex machine and as such from time to time will develop faults.. 99% of the time they will develop in your charge where you will simply take it and have it repaired but have you ever considered that your car could just as easily develop a new fault whilst it is being repaired at a garage through no fault of the mechanic?

It is not uncommon and indeed sometimes required that a road test is carried out on a vehicle, a road test can show problems that simply spinning the wheels cannot show...So if the cam belt was to fail whilst under such a road test, then why is it the fault of the garage?...similarly ABS sensors can and do fail.. consider where so many sensors are and how they would react to being disturbed.. I have seen cheap junk sensors fall apart in my hand when they have needed to be removed for other work.. the sensor was old and there was no way to do the work without its removal, it is just another expense that needs to be incurred it certainly isn't the fault of the mechanic, the majority of whom are professionals who know their job well..Remember that YOU are the one who chose the garage and if you feel that they would "Thrash" your car then why the hell did you take it there?? I would suggest that it is the culture of "Blame someone else" I would strongly suggest that all those who have responded here in a negative "Yeah sounds like the gits ragged your car" type of response should learn to work on your own cars as clearly you are incapable of trusting anyone else to work on them

Well after the garage broke the car it seems that it had simply run out of petrol...It is down to the customer to ensure that there is enough fuel in the vehicle....Perhaps you should have had the gauge fixed before they started on the bearings...So it wasn't the fault of the garage at all...Do you feel a little silly?

Please don't measure others by your own lack of standards.

I was always told never let the tank go lower than just under a 1/4 tank as petrol does break down/go off so keeping it filled with fresh clean petrol and keeping it nicely mixed up. You've probably just picked up a bit of crap in your tank as was said earlier.

I always run mine down till the light comes on and then fill up. Petrol does indeed "go off", I had the unfortunate experience of being stuck in near blizzard conditions in the Highlands, on a motorbike, because I borrowed some petrol from a mate that had been a can for *** knows how long.

I agree that if the car ran out of fuel crap in the fuel line/injectors seems like the most likely cause, you can't blame that garage for a faulty fuel gauge.

The question of why a "test drive" after replacing wheel bearings was needed is another matter along with the ABS sensor damage.

Think the best you will get is an apology for driving the car and payment for the sensor.

Ha... You guys are amazing... A car is a complex machine and as such from time to time will develop faults.. 99% of the time they will develop in your charge where you will simply take it and have it repaired but have you ever considered that your car could just as easily develop a new fault whilst it is being repaired at a garage through no fault of the mechanic?

It is not uncommon and indeed sometimes required that a road test is carried out on a vehicle, a road test can show problems that simply spinning the wheels cannot show...So if the cam belt was to fail whilst under such a road test, then why is it the fault of the garage?...similarly ABS sensors can and do fail.. consider where so many sensors are and how they would react to being disturbed.. I have seen cheap junk sensors fall apart in my hand when they have needed to be removed for other work.. the sensor was old and there was no way to do the work without its removal, it is just another expense that needs to be incurred it certainly isn't the fault of the mechanic, the majority of whom are professionals who know their job well..Remember that YOU are the one who chose the garage and if you feel that they would "Thrash" your car then why the hell did you take it there?? I would suggest that it is the culture of "Blame someone else" I would strongly suggest that all those who have responded here in a negative "Yeah sounds like the gits ragged your car" type of response should learn to work on your own cars as clearly you are incapable of trusting anyone else to work on them

Well after the garage broke the car it seems that it had simply run out of petrol...It is down to the customer to ensure that there is enough fuel in the vehicle....Perhaps you should have had the gauge fixed before they started on the bearings...So it wasn't the fault of the garage at all...Do you feel a little silly?

Please don't measure others by your own lack of standards.

Firstly i would have done this myself but dont have a hydraulic press avalible as im sure 99% of people dont. I replaced the ABS sensor about 1 year ago and is very easy to take out and put to one side, whilst changing the bearing. this was a part from lexus so not a "cheap junk sensor"

Secondly i did warn them about the sensor and advised them to be careful.

Thirdly no matter who you take the car to they will do a test drive, considering mine is turbo'd just gives them more insentive to give it a trash, which is something i doubt i will be able to obviod.

Forthly I have never had any problem with the fuel gauge before if that is a new fault i will deal with that asap

I dont know who the hell you are but your saying if you took your car in to get A done then pick it up and B and C had gone wrong which had never gone wrong before would you be happy, when you dropped it off B and C where working fine ???? Also where he got towed from was miles from the garage I see no reason for a 15-20 mile test drive.

The reason i chose this garage is they have done work on it before (when it was NOT turbo'd) and was happy, the reason i didnt take it to lexus is they charge £96.50 an hour PLUS VAT which i think is a effing joke.

And no i dont feel silly if you can do all the work on your car then fine or if you can afford to pay out on bits and bobs that you havent broken then your a mug with to much money.

For those who want to know, TDi think fuel filter could be blocked if its not that it could be something alot more serious. Fingers crossed its the fuel filter i'll have a look at the weekend.

I once had Motor bike (RD350LC) that ran out of fuel, needed engine re-build to put right :o

Mine you i was doing 115 mph at the time (track) and it did lock the back wheel :hehe:

Bet that put the willys up ya LoL :D i miss my bike :crybaby:

I once had Motor bike (RD350LC) that ran out of fuel, needed engine re-build to put right :o

Mine you i was doing 115 mph at the time (track) and it did lock the back wheel :hehe:

Bet that put the willys up ya LoL :D i miss my bike :crybaby:

Sure did, and flat spot on the back tyre :o

old wifes tale in my opinion

petrol if left untouched, will deteriorate but not for at least 2-3 months only after 12 months should you be concerned

the crap in the tank is as likely to be sucked in if it is full or a 1/4 empty, as its being agitated all the time its moving, the pump sucks from the bottom anyway

any crap has to pass through the pump filter and the fuel filter

most petrol tanks are allmost spotless inside even after many years of use

:yawn:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links