Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Sump Plug / Oil Plug Location

No one is disputing the fact that many private owners are more than capable of not only servicing but carrying out major mechanical repairs as well. At no time have I called into question Neal's ability to do the work, in fact I am sure that he is more than capable and that the car will not suffer in the least. I do all my servicing on both the IS and the Tezza and have all the receipts to verify the parts bought with the mileage written on when fitted.

My only issue is the use of a Lexus stamp when Lexus did not do the job, that is basically dishonest and could mislead a future buyer.

Last post on the topic for me.

I love this post. It' likely to be become an "epic"

The question I have for neal is when it comes to sale time, how honest will you be, knowing that a dealer or private individual will knock £00's if not £000's off the price if you tell them you had access to a stamp and did the maintenance yourself?

It's reasons like this why some of us buy brand new cars, knowing we'll lose £000's the minute it's registered to us...

I would seriously question your accessibility of this stamp. It worries me greatly...

I am assuming that you get this stamp from a dealer - is the dealer principal aware, and is the person you get this stamp from someone who values their job? If I was the DP I would sack someone if they did this!!!

If you have garages that you have run yourself before like monster-Mat, and the stamp bears your old company/trading name, then who's to know? There will be no implication or claim that it has been maintained by Lexus, and that's cool...It won't be a Lexus stamp and I know having been on this forum for a while that Mat is more than capable of maintaining a lexus to a very high standard, probably higher than many garages!!

It's the use of the Lexus stamp, almost indicating and implying that the servicing has been completed by lexus which I find very disturbing...

Just another slight twist of the knife...

PS - Neal - I know it sounds as though everyones just jumped on your throat, but you must remember - people on the LOC will see this as someone who is trying to imply that the car was maintained to lexus standards by someone who can't find the sump plug

I love this post. It' likely to be become an "epic"

The question I have for neal is when it comes to sale time, how honest will you be, knowing that a dealer or private individual will knock £00's if not £000's off the price if you tell them you had access to a stamp and did the maintenance yourself?

It's reasons like this why some of us buy brand new cars, knowing we'll lose £000's the minute it's registered to us...

I would seriously question your accessibility of this stamp. It worries me greatly...

I am assuming that you get this stamp from a dealer - is the dealer principal aware, and is the person you get this stamp from someone who values their job? If I was the DP I would sack someone if they did this!!!

If you have garages that you have run yourself before like monster-Mat, and the stamp bears your old company/trading name, then who's to know? There will be no implication or claim that it has been maintained by Lexus, and that's cool...It won't be a Lexus stamp and I know having been on this forum for a while that Mat is more than capable of maintaining a lexus to a very high standard, probably higher than many garages!!

It's the use of the Lexus stamp, almost indicating and implying that the servicing has been completed by lexus which I find very disturbing...

Just another slight twist of the knife...

PS - Neal - I know it sounds as though everyones just jumped on your throat, but you must remember - people on the LOC will see this as someone who is trying to imply that the car was maintained to lexus standards by someone who can't find the sump plug

As i have stated prior, i intended doing the mini service myself. I haven't actually done this. I doubt i will be now. My vehicle is only 7 months old therefore there are no stamps as yet and 2 years 3 months warranty / RAC remaining.

All understood with regards to this "Epic" and i can also see what it may have come across like in my wording. I glimpsed the underside of the vehicle with a bad back and simply couldn't be arsed to search for the sump plug. My vehicles are maintained to a very high standard and i thought i would use the resources of the LOC as 99% of q&a posted are answered promptly and correctly.

I did clarify the stamp issue in previous sections of this "Epic" as the dealer would honour a service / part service.

Needless to say that this script will also receive criticism.

I did clarify the stamp issue in previous sections of this "Epic" as the dealer would honour a service / part service.

Needless to say that this script will also receive criticism.

Humble apologies to all as I did say I would not post on this thread again but for some reason I can't keep my fingers away from the keyboard.

I'm afraid that you did not clarify the "stamp issue", you quite rightly pointed out that a dealer will fit parts supplied by you and then provide a "stamp". They will not stamp the service record if you supply and fit the parts yourself.

There is a bit of flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality going on now, give it up you are "flogging a dead horse" mate :lol:

You have the info from Bazza and my advice to you is "Observe the first law of holes - when you are in one stop digging" and just let this thread die a natural death.

Someone said that if i were to walk into a Lexus dealer with a hand full of parts and say that i was intending servicing my vehicle and to please stamp my book.

I DID NOT say this and DID NOT imply that i could or would do this. If you go into a Lexus dealer and say please service my car and please use oil provided by the customer or ANY amount of parts supplied by the customer (Original of course) then the dealer WILL agree to this AND stamp the book.

If you were to walk into a Lexus dealer with a FULL original part service kit and say please service my car, they will and charge you solely for labour AND stamp the book.

I refered early on in this topic to 'i can get the book stamped so not an issue' as i ONLY intended changing CERTAIN components (I.E oil, oil filter) Lexus Nottingham would have then changed the pollen filter, air filter and checked / topped up fluids accordingly.

As to flogging a dead horse / hole digging. Whatever mate!!!

Oops touched a raw nerve I think, even the above should not get a dealer stamp don't like to shout but THE DEALER DID NOT DO THE WORK THEREFORE THEY CANNOT WARRANT IT AND STAMP THE BOOK

And you have changed your tune, just a reminder of what you said in case you have forgotten

I am wanting to service my IS250 SE-L myself. Have purchased ALL original parts.

If you service it yourself and your NOT VAT registered it will void any warranty claims you may have in the future.

I am able to stamp service history with Lexus stamp so not worried on that issue.

You will find that my previous reply was "I am able to stamp service history with Lexus stamp so not worried on that issue."

NOT "I have a Lexus stamp"

As i have stated prior, i intended doing the mini service myself. I haven't actually done this. I doubt i will be now. My vehicle is only 7 months old therefore there are no stamps as yet and 2 years 3 months warranty / RAC remaining.

Every time you are doing the service, and can get the book stamped, now it's down to an oil change.

Someone said that if i were to walk into a Lexus dealer with a hand full of parts and say that i was intending servicing my vehicle and to please stamp my book.

I DID NOT say this and DID NOT imply that i could or would do this. If you go into a Lexus dealer and say please service my car and please use oil provided by the customer or ANY amount of parts supplied by the customer (Original of course) then the dealer WILL agree to this AND stamp the book.

If you were to walk into a Lexus dealer with a FULL original part service kit and say please service my car, they will and charge you solely for labour AND stamp the book.

No I did

Are you saying that if I walk into a Lexus dealer with an armful of service parts and say "I bought these to service my car, can you please stamp the book for me" then they will, I don't think so.

As you again say if you supply that parts and the dealer fits them he will stamp the book, THIS IS NOT THE SAME IS FITTING THEM YOURSELF which you have consistently said you were going to do even though now it is just the oil filter.

Getting bored repeating myself and, just remember horses and hole.

Oops touched a raw nerve I think, even the above should not get a dealer stamp don't like to shout but THE DEALER DID NOT DO THE WORK THEREFORE THEY CANNOT WARRANT IT AND STAMP THE BOOK

And you have changed your tune, just a reminder of what you said in case you have forgotten

I am wanting to service my IS250 SE-L myself. Have purchased ALL original parts.

If you service it yourself and your NOT VAT registered it will void any warranty claims you may have in the future.

I am able to stamp service history with Lexus stamp so not worried on that issue.

You will find that my previous reply was "I am able to stamp service history with Lexus stamp so not worried on that issue."

NOT "I have a Lexus stamp"

Every time you are doing the service, and can get the book stamped, now it's down to an oil change.

No I did

Are you saying that if I walk into a Lexus dealer with an armful of service parts and say "I bought these to service my car, can you please stamp the book for me" then they will, I don't think so.

As you again say if you supply that parts and the dealer fits them he will stamp the book, THIS IS NOT THE SAME IS FITTING THEM YOURSELF which you have consistently said you were going to do even though now it is just the oil filter.

Getting bored repeating myself and, just remember horses and hole.

I can't understand why you start of by saying that the dealer shouldn't stamp the book because the dealer didn't do the work.

What did they do then? Why did i pay x amount of pounds in labour charges?

They provided the labour and i provided the part / parts. Can't understand why you are saying the dealer did nothing.

As i have some expensive oil and oil additive and a magnetic sump plug i initially wanted to change the these together with the oil filter. Not just the oil filter. I did also state this.

In my profession touching raw nerves and horses are a regular occurrence. Can't say the same for the holes though!

To be 100% crystal clear here, is the dealer doing the service (labour only) with parts supplied by you?

YES MacRS200.

No problem with the stamp then, glad we got that cleared up :D

I have a brand new IS250 and want to swop the engine out for an IS350 engine I have imported from the States. I have all the parts and the the new engine is sitting in a large crate in my garage. Luckily I won a tool set at the local fair this summer so I am all sorted and ready to go.

I only have two questions:

1. How do I open the bonnet? I can't find the lever.

2. Will this invalidate my warranty?

(P.S I am not VAT registered)

:whistling:

I have a brand new IS250 and want to swop the engine out for an IS350 engine I have imported from the States. I have all the parts and the the new engine is sitting in a large crate in my garage. Luckily I won a tool set at the local fair this summer so I am all sorted and ready to go.

I only have two questions:

1. How do I open the bonnet? I can't find the lever.

2. Will this invalidate my warranty?

(P.S I am not VAT registered)

:whistling:

There's always one that insists on taking the *****! Typical gourde!

• 4 years later...

I came on to this site just looking for a heads up & maybe some guideline's for upcoming job's.

I am a qualified mechanical / Electrical technician but Lexus car's are a pain & the autodata garage tehnical info is full of blank's.

After going through all the bickering responses left on here just to simple question's I think I'm probably better off just figuring out problem's as I go rather than being LED either in the wrong direction or driven mad!!!!

Some of you people should really grow up & leave the technical answer's to people who have them!!! not crtic's bickering like kid's about weather or not you should be doing the job yourself, you'r car you'r choice, mess up you'r bill...

PS no responses needed, I only require information!

Here you go, Anybody who wants info on where the sump drain plug is, (in photo 14mm bolt at the back end of the sump about 1m back from bumper & just off centre of car)

& make sure you buy a new washer for re-fitting.

Also definitely worth removing the small square panel fixed by 3 10mm bolts & fit new oil filter element (in photo about 300mm back from bumper dead centre underneath car), As there's about 1 Litre of old oil trapped in the filter section which is worth totally draining if you want to do the job properly & ALLWAYS buy genuine toyota filters as reproducion blue print make's don't fit properly & that goe' for fuel filter especially!!!

You can buy the tool to remove the cap securing the filter element (in photo removed with new filter element fitted to cap assembly) However most people & myself just carefully unscrewed anti-clockwise using large swan neck grips ( as there are two aluminium wing's protruding outward's each side of the cap to grip on to ) However it is Aluminium so if it's not easy to unscrew then go carefully & make sure to replace the rubber O-Ring to the retaining cap (supplied with the filter)

The old filter element just carefully pulls off the centre collar & new one slide's on as removed, the unit is slightly spring loaded so make sure it's properly aligned when re-fitting.

Anyway that's the basic's, simple enough! but if you are a complete DIY then leave it to the garage! especially the filter replacement, these are just guideline's for mechanic's who have done an oil change or two! Also make sure the car is raised with a proper trolley jack & axle stand's as there isn't much ground clearance & one slip, Game OVER.

If you'r draining the whole engine & filter you need 6 litre's of decent grade oil which is all in the manual.

That was simple enough was'nt it ?

post-42087-0-72919800-1336696334.jpg

post-42087-0-71482700-1336696443.jpg

post-42087-0-73252800-1336696523.jpg

post-42087-0-96332000-1336696612.jpg

Oh No - don't stop now. Paul's rational and adult comments shouldn't be allowed to kill this.

I am one of those 'kids that enjoy bickering about the weather', though coming up to my 65th birthday.

The whole point of this thread is that Neal (Oh and thanks Neal for this), infers initially that his service book will be stamped with an 'official' Lexus stamp while doing the servicing himself.

I know that he's changed his story somewhat since that opening gambit, but if we stick with those first statements, we all know that this is action is highly dubious.

(And I am being very kind when I use that phrase.)

If nothing else it has taught me an amazing lesson. When the time comes to change my lovely Lexus I will insist on an electronic check against all the service history on my replacement car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links