Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Sump Plug / Oil Plug Location

I am wanting to service my IS250 SE-L myself. Have purchased ALL original parts. Had the car in the air and removed a small panel (3 10mm screws) Haven't a clue what it reveiled?

Had a good look around while i was there and couldn't for the life of me find the sump oil plug!

Does anyone know its location?

I have previously serviced my IS200, IS300, LS430 (Old & new shape) Including spark plugs but this one is baffling me. :unsure:

Thanks in advance.....

If you service it yourself and your NOT VAT registered it will void any warranty claims you may have in the future.

I am able to stamp service history with Lexus stamp so not worried on that issue.

I am able to stamp service history with Lexus stamp so not worried on that issue.

Sorry, but no matter how I phrase my reply to this, its going to come out wrong :P But here goes:

If you stamp your service book with a genuine Lexus service stamp - but the car has not in actual fact been serviced by that Lexus Dealership - then I would say you are not being totally genuine. As a Buyer when I call the stamping Dealership to see if they have any associated Service Records, I would wager their system will be blank as they never did the work and thus no supporting invoice was generated...which in turn makes the stamp worthless. Also, by suggesting (with the stamp) that Lexus themselves have done the work, when they have not, is not being totally honest. In my interpretation, the stamp of service is for a service conducted by the garage - which is clearly not the case here because you are doing it yourself.; and there is little (or no) connection with the 'stamping' Dealership.

Not sure about manufacturers warranty being voided if car is serviced by NON VAT person/mechanic/garage (as with Third Party Warranties) - but I would (from a common sense stand point) agree with the above commentator...its simply not worth it.

At this point in time it worries me that you are DIY work on you Lexus, but have access to a genuine Lexus Service stamp. This should serve as an example to people buying cars with 'stamped' S/H to check the validity of the stamp before parting with their cash.

I know I sound alarmist and judgemental, but I felt I should put forward some constructive concerns in the spirit of assisting a fellow Lexus Owner.

Dealerships don't just stamp the book - they enter details of the service into Lexus' computerised records, which all dealerships can access. That way when a car comes in to any dealer they can enter the reg and chassis number and get a print out of service work performed, any recalls done or outstanding etc. No warranty work will be authorised by Lexus GB without these records being up to date. You can have your Lexus serviced elsewhere but a fully stamped book is meaningless unless the non- Lexus 3rd party garage that performed the work also included receipts and details of work carried out and that work matched the service schedule laid down.

Im shocked (for once) by your response neal :o

With regards to warranty as long as it serviced by a bonifide garage whos registered for VAT and the PARTS used for servicing are genuine parts then any claim under waranty has to be honoured by the dealership.

Everyone has been very conservative (with a small c) in their responses to the stamp bit. Gone are the days when a "toytown" printing kit, an electric drill and a good story increased the value of a car.

It is plain con material, we all know that "mileage adjustments" are possible in the digital age but to "fake" a main dealer service history is not. Unless of course you work for Lexus Dealer and have access to the service computer, forging a stamp would then not be needed.

Alternatively you keep the receipts for service parts and consumables logging when YOU did the work and convince the buyer you are competent. Having said that if you can't find a drain plug :whistling:

Everyone has been very conservative (with a small c) in their responses to the stamp bit. Gone are the days when a "toytown" printing kit, an electric drill and a good story increased the value of a car.

It is plain con material, we all know that "mileage adjustments" are possible in the digital age but to "fake" a main dealer service history is not. Unless of course you work for Lexus Dealer and have access to the service computer, forging a stamp would then not be needed.

Alternatively you keep the receipts for service parts and consumables logging when YOU did the work and convince the buyer you are competent. Having said that if you can't find a drain plug :whistling:

VAT registered and quite competent thank you. Having spent 2 minutes or so peering at the underside of the car and having injured my back playing sports i gave up and thought i would enquire on the L.O.C.

As i haven't received any replies to its locality i am assuming it is well hidden.

VAT registered and quite competent thank you. Having spent 2 minutes or so peering at the underside of the car and having injured my back playing sports i gave up and thought i would enquire on the L.O.C.

As i haven't received any replies to its locality i am assuming it is well hidden.

I don't doubt that you are competent, you would have to be mad to try to service a car of that value yourself if you didn't know what you were doing. The comment about not being able to find the plug was "tongue in cheek".

All this is a diversion from the fact that to service the car yourself and then use a Lexus stamp in the book is just plain wrong! If you are a VAT registered garage use your own stamp and all will be well.

p.s. If I knew where the plug was I would tell you.

If you are '' VAT registered and quite competent '' why do you have Lexus stamp ???

If you are '' VAT registered and quite competent '' why do you have Lexus stamp ???

You will find that my previous reply was "I am able to stamp service history with Lexus stamp so not worried on that issue."

NOT "I have a Lexus stamp"

As you are competant...finding a little ole drain plug wont be that hard, bad back or not!

Just as a pointer (in case you get lost) i'd look around the sump area :lol:

Whats the reg of the car so i know not to buy it when im looking for another car :P

As you are competant...finding a little ole drain plug wont be that hard, bad back or not!

Just as a pointer (in case you get lost) i'd look around the sump area :lol:

Whats the reg of the car so i know not to buy it when im looking for another car :P

As you own an old IS200 sport and the sump plug is visible from inside your house, an IS250 is totally different. With regards to the mini service (1st service) since there are only 3 or 4 items that require changing i intended doing it myself.

I have previously taken my own original parts to a dealer and paid for part labour charges. A dealer will stamp the service history and provide a receipt for work carried out.

If you were to supply a part or parts the stamp will still be issued.

As for the registration of the vehicle this is Irrelevant. It isn't for sale. And even if it was i am picky who i deal with!

Amazing how these forums (especially mine) seem to get negative inputs from people who have had no real input on the subject raised.

ok here is what it looks like

DrainPlug.jpg

the cover secured by 3x10mm bolts is the opening to the filter housing

about a foot further back you should find the plug

remember that the plug gasket is not reusable, and should be replaced

:shifty:

ok here is what it looks like

DrainPlug.jpg

the cover secured by 3x10mm bolts is the opening to the filter housing

about a foot further back you should find the plug

remember that the plug gasket is not reusable, and should be replaced

:shifty:

Is this the underside of the IS250? Doesn't ring a bell.

P.S Thanks Bazza!!!

As you own an old IS200 sport and the sump plug is visible from inside your house,

Im looking outside through the window and...........................nope i cant see it!!

I was pulling your leg m8...calm down

Granted yours is a new car but i bet i could find the sump plug once the covers are off in 10 seconds.

Glad you got it sorted now :D

Er sorry- I don't get your logic Neal...

You own a car which probably worth about £25,000, at a guess. I'm assuming you have bought this car with your own hard earned cash. Therefore, why are you cutting corners on servicing/maintainance??? Yes, Lexus labour rates are expensive, but come re-sale time, any potiential buyer would like to see fully stamped main dealer service book (with reciepts/invoices), particular during the warranty period of your car.

As you quoted to Scorps01, I too own an "an old IS200" (SE), and it doesn't make sense to me to pay Lexus labour rates on a car which is almost 7 years old now, therefore I use a local mechanic who I trust.

As you quoted to Scorps01, I too own an "an old IS200" (SE), and it doesn't make sense to me to pay Lexus labour rates on a car which is almost 7 years old now, therefore I use a local mechanic who I trust.

Same here......7 yrs old and not reached 60k (yet) :D

OK let me recap and please correct me if I have got it wrong.

1. You bought the parts for a service
  2. You can't find the sump plug so you post on here
  3. Someone points out that you will void the warranty
  4. You boast that you can stamp the book so are not worried
  5. People point out this is at best dodgy
  6. You try do defend a fake stamp in the records that would infer that Lexus carried out the service
  7. You claim to be VAT registered, you/your company may well be but is it a garage

Then you post this.

I have previously taken my own original parts to a dealer and paid for part labour charges. A dealer will stamp the service history and provide a receipt for work carried out.

If you were to supply a part or parts the stamp will still be issued.

Yes that is OK for you to supply the parts, they are then warranting that the work has been carried out correctly.

Are you saying that if I walk into a Lexus dealer with an armful of service parts and say "I bought these to service my car, can you please stamp the book for me" then they will, I don't think so.

As for the registration of the vehicle this is Irrelevant. It isn't for sale. And even if it was i am picky who i deal with!

I dare say you are as you will be looking for the gullible who won't check the history of the car

Amazing how these forums (especially mine) seem to get negative inputs from people who have had no real input on the subject raised.

You changed the course of this topic after item 4 in the above list mate.

ok lets just put aside the stamp thing, ........

the cost of a car is totally irrelevant to who services it, ive done all my own servicing, if your prepared to do the servicing yourself, aware of the wrath the dealer will strike you with from the heavens, then do it yourself.

all this PC ****, "oh you cant service your car cos it new.........."

an engine is an engine,(albeit, some are less reliable than others) a car is a car...its only the badge which differs

LOL

Thats you off my list for buying motors from then :D

i also have many stamps, i owned and ran a garage for 7 years remember........ :hehe:

none of my cars have ever been neglected in the servicing and repair department, infact, i wish there were more like me who take car of there motor vehicles :whistling:

No i am NOT stating that if you walk into a Lexus dealer with an arm full of parts they will stamp the service history. I didn't at any point state that.

Also EVERY Lexus i have sold (5 in total, ranging from 10k to 35k) had supported documents and service history and WAS checked by either the private buyer OR Lexus themselves.

Anyone else want to twist the knife :question:

No i am NOT stating that if you walk into a Lexus dealer with an arm full of parts they will stamp the service history. I didn't at any point state that.

Also EVERY Lexus i have sold (5 in total, ranging from 10k to 35k) had supported documents and service history and WAS checked by either the private buyer OR Lexus themselves.

Anyone else want to twist the knife :question:

Regarding Monster - mats comments, i totally agree on the 'taking care' of factor as my vehicle is not only pristine but i go that extra bit in looking after its running and appearance.

Engine bay is lacquered regularly, Zx1 engine additive used also. Presentation and maintenance are very important to me.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links