Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi Folks,

Picked up my 9 year old "new" car yesterday and so far it feels great. It's a 98 done 123K full Lexus history and in April along with the service had new Cam belt, Fan Belt and Plugs replaced. It came with 6 months tax and 12 month warranty(insurance backed one but better than nothing).

It looks like a bulb has gone on the dash as I can't see the drivers temp setting in the dark, is this much of a job or should I be taking it back to the dealer?

In the service history I have a bill from Feb this year when the owner had a headlight bulb replaced. this was for a total of £190!!!!! Guess this means I won't be using it at night in case another one goes. Seriously though, £140 plus vat for a bulb?

Ah for the days when I ran a 2CV! Filled it up with petrol for about £10, which lasted till Christmas....repairs done with baling twine.....

You've got me worried too, as I have same car. Just hope that the bulbs go on mileage, as mine's only done 77K miles!

The pleasure of dwelling in your car will far outweigh the costs involved! You'll find yourself just cruising with a smile on your face. Have fun!!

Don't forget to change your details to Mk 4......

When my dad first got his MKIV the backlight on the drivers side climate had gone aswell. Lexus tried to source an electronics company to take it apart to fix it as apprently there not a normal bulb that can be easily replaced, in the end no one would touch it so they replaced the whole center console unit under warranty, about £2800 apparently, all looked nice and new after it was done though, my point is, it's not easy to do, so take it back but if they won't fix it, just use the climate in normal mode rather than dual in the dark and read it off the passengers side instead.

When my dad first got his MKIV the backlight on the drivers side climate had gone aswell. Lexus tried to source an electronics company to take it apart to fix it as apprently there not a normal bulb that can be easily replaced, in the end no one would touch it so they replaced the whole center console unit under warranty, about £2800 apparently, all looked nice and new after it was done though, my point is, it's not easy to do, so take it back but if they won't fix it, just use the climate in normal mode rather than dual in the dark and read it off the passengers side instead.

[/quot

Thanks for the information James, as you say I don't really need the light , would just look better. I don't think the dealer will be too keen on £2,800 when I only paid £3,500 for the car.

Thanks to Chris who made me feel really old as I realised I can remember petrol at 30p a gallon, -less than £2 for a 2CV tankfull. Oh and sorry I didn't get a Maroon car.

I should have made it clear that it was the price of the bulb from a lexus dealer which was a shock as Phillips hid bulbs are on e bay at £70 (or less)per pair.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links