Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus Silver Paint Its Cracking, Peeling,

Hello,

I just did a jet wash today in my new lexus and the paint on the bumpers is like cracked, peeling off. Got the car from a car dealer and body work is not under warrantt. Its a lexus is200 2001 model.

I believe the colour code will be / should be 1CO as looking at the forum lexus do only one silver code.

Secondly which place is better to get the paint from, Lexus directly or Halfords, i believe Halfords kit is easier to use.

I got scratches i guess for that i coud use touch up paint, can i also you the spray cans on them to make it better.

Any suggestions.

i would say the bumper has been sprayed before and not very well as when you spray plastic you have to put a plastic primer on to make it bond or the paint will fall off if you want it done right get a body shop to do it

unless you good with a spray can as sliver is one of the worst colours to spay as i found out when i sprayed my bike but got the hang of it in the end

Seen this a few times before on many cars and the reason I dont use the jet washes.....some of them are far too powerful now and if you hold too close to the car you can easily do damage to the paintwork.

(ever put your hand close to the end of one of these things....nearly takes your fingers off)

People use things to blast clean their driveways - and then turn loose on their car !

i work in a local bodyshop as a paint tech. i see this alot from people who paint bumpers etc themself, when ever you paint you must scotch up the pannel with a fine gritt so that the paint will stick... it seems as said above this isnt what was done (or done well enough) with your bumper... secondly i wouldnt ever use a spray can to do a repair, its not as simple as just throwing paint onto the pannel, when i paint i use anything from 2-4 bar! you wont get this from a rattle can...

the thing with paint codes they will only give you the most common shade of that colour, most colours will have anything from 1-8 shades within that paint code, if you want a perfect match have a local paint shop chip up the paint and mix it for you, that way its the right shade. Astral black(jet black) only has one shade, you may be lucky and only find it to have one shade.

save some money and be happy with the job go pay a pro to do it.

:)

i work in a local bodyshop as a paint tech. i see this alot from people who paint bumpers etc themself, when ever you paint you must scotch up the pannel with a fine gritt so that the paint will stick... it seems as said above this isnt what was done (or done well enough) with your bumper... secondly i wouldnt ever use a spray can to do a repair, its not as simple as just throwing paint onto the pannel, when i paint i use anything from 2-4 bar! you wont get this from a rattle can...

the thing with paint codes they will only give you the most common shade of that colour, most colours will have anything from 1-8 shades within that paint code, if you want a perfect match have a local paint shop chip up the paint and mix it for you, that way its the right shade. Astral black(jet black) only has one shade, you may be lucky and only find it to have one shade.

save some money and be happy with the job go pay a pro to do it.

:)

Why are we not getting discount off body work if you work in a body shop :whistling:

You will also find any metalic paint is not good to match and you usually have to paint a much larger area so that not to see new spray job. You will only ever get a close match and never an identicle some are closer than others when it comes to mixing paint.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links