Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I have had two problems with the steering in my GS430 one solved one to go. Can anyone help with a tracking problem solution.

:) The steering in my 2002 GS400 was very heavy at speed for my wife so I inquired about having it make lighter. The dealer and lexus rep said there was nothing that could be done since it checked out in the "normal range". I researched the matter and found that a control voltage is sent from an ECU to the power steering pump to regulate the assist. The signal measured at 12 V at idle and then tails off to 0 V at high speed. By disconnecting the 2 wires from the ECU and replacing them with +12 V and ground, I made the pump deliver maximum assist all the time. Viola problem solved. I mention this in case someone is having the same problem.

:( A problem I have not solved is that of poor tracking at speed, especially in crosswind situations. This problem has been consistent with the steering in the stock form as well as with the maximum assist trick. In fact the lighter steering improves the situation by not requiring you to fight the wheel. There was a service buletin on Tracking recommending a 4 wheel allignment and tire rebalance. The dealer supposedly did this and I subsequently changed to different tires. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S summer and Bridgestone LM-21 Blizzaks winter. Although silghtly better than with the stock Goodyear A/S, the problem is essentially the same on both replacement sets. Has anyone experienced this problem and had any success eliminating or improving it? I was thinking more front toe-in as it feels as though the wander is occuring from the front rather than from the tail "wagging". There is no caster adjustment on the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I take my GS/Aristo to a proper 4-wheel alingment garage which sets cars up for track use.

I had too much negative camber, lots of inner tyre where and had it alinged perfectly.

Right now I have a light feeling on right steering, I assume camber or a duff shocker which I get looked at, at the above garage.

Run Goodyear F1 17x8 on my GS, work very well and car is true on track and road, aside from the recent duff shocker.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links