Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Paint

ldc

My previous car was a Honda and it had a pearl spec metallic paint.

Looking at the Is250, just wondering if anyone can confirm whether it is metallic paint or not because from the naked eye i feel it lacks abit of metalic-ness to it.

I look at the lexus site and it has metallic paint as standard???

Also whaty is mica paint?

My previous car was a Honda and it had a pearl spec metallic paint.

Looking at the Is250, just wondering if anyone can confirm whether it is metallic paint or not because from the naked eye i feel it lacks abit of metalic-ness to it.

I look at the lexus site and it has metallic paint as standard???

Also whaty is mica paint?

I didn't think Metallic was standard, and all Blues etc are Metallic. Mica is just a posh way of saying pearlescent, I think. But I view pearl or mica as finish that glistens and on some shades gives the impression of shimmer. Not many actually do...

I'm sure that environmently friendly paints don't shimmer in the same way that some solvents based acrylic finishes do.

And if it's the canterbury Blue that you are referring to, then it has to be spotlessly clean and polished to get a deep wet shimmer. Even my Mesa red is the same. Slightly dirty and it's just plain metallic red, but clean and glossy and it looks brilliant and does shimmer, but shades of red only.

I did think that originally the only non-metallic colour (in the UK anyway) was black, but haven't they just made that metallic as well?

If you get reflections back under light or the sun, then the paint is metallic, but the effect from metallic paint is nowhere near as strong as with mica paint.

As far as I know (and I may be wrong) is that with metallic paint, metal flakes are mixed into the paint and with mica paint, ground up mica (minerals) is mixed into the paint.

I think the main difference is that with metallic paint, the metal flakes only reflect light back, whereas the mica particles not only reflect light, but also refract it - this gives the paint much more depth, and you'll often find it show different colours under certain light.

Hope that made sense (and also isn't a load of rubbish! :P )

Wikipedia:

"The mica group of sheet silicate minerals includes several closely related materials having highly perfect basal cleavage. All are monoclinic with a tendency towards pseudo-hexagonal crystals and are similar in chemical composition. The highly perfect cleavage, which is the most prominent characteristic of mica, is explained by the hexagonal sheet-like arrangement of its atoms.

The word "mica" is thought to be derived from the Latin word micare, meaning to shine, in reference to the brilliant appearance of this mineral (especially when in small scales)."

Parthiban - you are correct - they only do metallic. But when I bought mine, I had to pay extra for metallic. It is strange - in the UK - Windsor Blue, Velvet Black and Arctic Pearl are new paints replacing others, so maybe they are metallic, but Lexus still charge you extra. So what if I didn't want a metallic painted car? Can I have one with Primer only :o

Wikipedia:

"The mica group of sheet silicate minerals includes several closely related materials having highly perfect basal cleavage. All are monoclinic with a tendency towards pseudo-hexagonal crystals and are similar in chemical composition. The highly perfect cleavage, which is the most prominent characteristic of mica, is explained by the hexagonal sheet-like arrangement of its atoms.

The word "mica" is thought to be derived from the Latin word micare, meaning to shine, in reference to the brilliant appearance of this mineral (especially when in small scales)."

Parthiban - you are correct - they only do metallic. But when I bought mine, I had to pay extra for metallic. It is strange - in the UK - Windsor Blue, Velvet Black and Arctic Pearl are new paints replacing others, so maybe they are metallic, but Lexus still charge you extra. So what if I didn't want a metallic painted car? Can I have one with Primer only :o

I'm sorry.. I never got past "perfect basal cleavage".

Wikipedia:

I'm sorry.. I never got past "perfect basal cleavage".

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
That explaination from Wikipedia: doesnt explain whether mica = metallic or not.

For want of a better description it's 'metallic'. The mica gives it the depth as the light reflects/refracts at slightly different angles which gives it a sparkling look rather than 'flat', or 'non metallic'. The clear coat adds to the look of depth obtained with the mica. My 250 is in Cadoxton Slate (metallic?), but described under the same paint code in the States as 'Smoky Granite Mica' (Mica?)

A surface that has been properly cleaned and smoothed by a suitable polish obviously provides the best presentation of the mica finish, or basically you can't see the effect so it looks dull. :)

That explaination from Wikipedia: doesnt explain whether mica = metallic or not.

As I described quite badly a few posts above, metallic and mica are not the same - the difference being that metallic paint has particles of metal in it and mica paint has particles of mica in it.

Obviously metal will only reflect light, whereas mica both reflects and refracts it - which leads to a greater impression of depth :)

As I described quite badly a few posts above, metallic and mica are not the same - the difference being that metallic paint has particles of metal in it and mica paint has particles of mica in it.

Obviously metal will only reflect light, whereas mica both reflects and refracts it - which leads to a greater impression of depth :)

The mica flakes have more reflective surfaces which gives it the increased look of depth or sparkle over metallic which as you say are metallic flakes..usually aluminium. Mica is also often described as pearlescent.

Mica also doesn't really need a clear topcoat, whereas metallic needs at least three to protect the flakes. Not sure I'd want a mica finish in water base paints without a few coats of clear though..it chips easily enough now :o

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links