Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Clonk Sound From Rear Axle

I've noticed an occasional clonk sound coming from the rear of the car and it sounds like it's probably coming from the prop shaft. It sometimes happens when I put the car in gear, or change from 1st to 2nd. Sometimes pulling away in 1st, there is a bit of judder as well. Is this likely to be the universal joint wearing, or could it be clutch wear? The car's only done 47K.

If it is the U joint, is this easy to change and what's the likely cost? If it's the clutch, I presume it's more complicated and expensive.

Simon

Got the same problems on my car but its done 76k.

I know the 1st to 2nd gear is a trait of the gearbox (was in Lexus when one of the service guys mentioned it to the head tech, you almost had to pull his teeth out for him to actually say its a characteristic of the gear box) but its really the vibration in 1st when I rev high that gets me, feels all wrong and means I short shift to 2nd which sometimes sorts out the clunk.

Had the car nearly a month now and don’t seem to notice the clunk anymore.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links