Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help Needed From Computer Ppl

CIJ

Hey guys n gals,

I need some help from some ppl who know bout computers, ive just bought a new laptop today, i still have my old one and i wanna know what is the quickest and simplest way to transfer all pics, vids and music (around 30gig of it) across to my new one!!

If i install my ipod onto this new computer, with all of its music on it, will it transfer it straight to the computer or will it just delete it all?? :duh:

Cheers in advance for the help

Chris

Hey guys n gals,

I need some help from some ppl who know bout computers, ive just bought a new laptop today, i still have my old one and i wanna know what is the quickest and simplest way to transfer all pics, vids and music (around 30gig of it) across to my new one!!

If i install my ipod onto this new computer, with all of its music on it, will it transfer it straight to the computer or will it just delete it all?? :duh:

Cheers in advance for the help

Chris

Quickest way probably to network up the 2 lappys and transfer them across. Not sure what u mean about Ipod, but just install the software on you new Lappy and it the music will still be on your IPOD. To get music form IPOD to lappy just transfer it via USB. ope that helps

Right i'll try and network them.... :blink: .....should be fun when i figure out how to do it :lol: , as for the ipod, it has its own hard drive on the ipod dont it? I was just wondering when you connect the ipod to the computer, would the ipod transfer music to the computer, or will it just wipe it all off the ipod? :duh: :lol::lol:

Ok....how do i set up a network??? can i do it with USB or do i have to connect it through the network plug??

Cheers

You will need to use the network port. Have a look here this might help.

Wehn u connect ur ipod it shouldnt transfer or delete you music. It should prompt you asking you what you would like to do, or else it might just connect to it

Buy yourself a USB external hard drive plug into a USB on the old laptop and just "drag and drop" to copy all the stuff you want onto it. Then you can either do the same on the new laptop to copy the stuff on there or leave the music on the external drive to save clogging up the drive on the computer. Easy :)

the cheapest way (assuming both lappys have a network port (RJ45)) is to get a network lead, you will need a crossover lead if directly connecting laptops to each other, or standard leads will be ok if doing it through a router, you will then need to allow file sharing on the old laptop for all the old, to be copied, files, once this is done and your 'network' is setup (you will need to configure antivirus software too) cut and paste, or drag and drop or send files to the new distination folder.

the easiest way is like the previous poster said, buy a USB external hard-drive, and just copy the files onto it....

or u could use the ipod as an external drive. I know that with my creative zen it can be used as a removeable drive. Depending on the capacity this my take a while. Mine is a 40gb so it could do all in one transfer. Make sure any music u have on the ipod only that u put it onto ur new lappy first

Cheers guys,

I think im gonna go for the easiest option and buy a external hard drive, i thought that i wouldve been able to transfer wireless because there both connected up to the bt hub but they dont seem to be able to 'see' each other!!

The ipod is the 60g and i might try it, but not sure if you can use it as an external drive like the creative!

Cheers Chris

Cheers guys,

I think im gonna go for the easiest option and buy a external hard drive, i thought that i wouldve been able to transfer wireless because there both connected up to the bt hub but they dont seem to be able to 'see' each other!!

The ipod is the 60g and i might try it, but not sure if you can use it as an external drive like the creative!

Cheers Chris

your antivirus software is the most likely reason that they can't see each other. go into security, firewall settings, network, and you should see the i.p. of all computers conected to the router. click to allow a network connection to the listed i.p. address...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links