Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Dual Core Processors

Fargo

To be honest the Apple guys have had a few teething problems since they moved to the Intel chips, I wouldn't say the motherboards are better, a lot of the time they're using reference designs from Intel, I'm sure I read that somewhere.

In fact you'll potentially find that the factory that makes the Apple kit also makes laptops for other manufacturers, it's just that Apple like little features that you don't see on other brands.

For example, I loved my IBM Thinkpad when I got that, it had a great little feature which was a light that you could use at night to illuminate the keyboard, and the keys each had a reflective surface which lit up.

The Apple solution was a backlit keyboard, yes more expensive but it's as cool as f*ck!

Don't get me wrong like Colin I made the switch years ago, and I'm on my second Mac ready to get the third one, and I still love them, the fact that they switched to Intel was helped by the fact that Intel had a better roadmap than the PowerPC camp as well as the fact that IBM could not produce a G5 chip capable of running in a laptop, hence why you never saw a G5 laptop.

Also not really sure how much it had to do with it but IBM were focussed on three other clients for the PowerPC chips - namely Microsoft, Sony & Nintendo who all use PowerPC derivative processors in their latest and greatest consoles.

Apple would have been a big customer prior to these three who will be ordering processors totalling many magnitudes higher than Apple ever purchased.

I think the guys at Apple realised this, and they developed OSX Intel alongside the PowerPC version since it originated if you believe the rumours so they had to have a backup plan.

It was kind of a blessing in disguise for Apple when a few hackers figured out how to boot Windows on the Apple hardware (which lacks a standard BIOS which was the problem) - that caused Apple to rush out BootCamp which in turned opened them up to a whole new market.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they announce at Macworld Expo next week in SF, it's their 30th year so hopefully we'll see some nice things coming, I've heard of allsorts of rumours, so now it's time to see what they've got!

In hindsight it was probably a good thing that Steve Jobs parted company with Apple to go to NeXT - if he hadn't of been there who knows if Apple would have ever have based OSX on NeXTSTEP - BeOS was very nice for the time, great OS imho, although it never took off!

hmm, never thought about going the mac route, tell me something, all i want to do is mainly download films/music, output the same media to TV/AV system and wordprocess and spreadsheets, email.

obvuisouly there are word and spreadsheet software for the mac, but what of the rest.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised mate :)

For browsing use Firefox, Camino or Safari, for music use iTunes, for Films use VideoLan Client (VLC) or MPlayer, as for work stuff just use MS Office 2004 on the Mac natively, and then for email just use iMail.

You get a lot of nice software bundled in, to be honest you don't need a great deal, for most people the Mac will do what they want out of the box, and you also get great photo management software, video editing software and music generation software. Heck I read somewhere that MS are planning to get a Garageband clone in the R2 release of Vista which is miles away yet!

Just read this post, interesting reading Aido. I know Mac had a massive backlash of fans who really didnt want Intel in a Mac, and I know Mac had their own reasons etc etc for switching.

In truthness though, Steve Jobs was kicked out of Mac....not really a case of he left...off topic I know. Fact of the matter is, hes made some pretty lame choices of the years for apple.....but on the side of the coin....he's made some brilliant choices and Mac wouldnt be stilll standing without him joining forces again. Mac to him is like is baby.

The good old eMac saved apple and its thanks to that fella.

I know, its not quantity o software......but lets face it.....most software on PCs is garbage......so its not hard to see why im impressed with software available on the Mac....

Not sure if you've ever seen it but 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' is a pretty cool film to watch about Bill and Steve, it's quite good!

Not sure I'd agree with the iMac, it kind of gave them a new direction but personally I'd say the iPod saved them, and then when they released iTunes on Windows that's when it really took off big time for them!

Looking forward to what they're gonna reveal next week, hope it's more than just the iTV or the Iphone!

Would be nice if we saw the touch screen iPod or something really cool, not sure what else they can think of now though, iTV doesn't bother me as I use the Xbox with XBMC for that and I've got a Roku Soundbrdige for streaming stuff from iTunes to the hifi, just love the way it all integrates :)

Aido: it was the iMac that revitalised apple. The iPod just brought attention from the unwashed PC-using masses... :winky:

iTV is more than you think. This year DVD downloads and TV shows etc will be added to iTunes UK. iTV will enable you to click download and 1 minute later have it streaming wirelessly to your TV. Aswell as this you can view ALL the media content on your Mac (or PC) on your TV. Xbox360? naaaaaah.

We will get 8-core Mac Pros, iLife 07 and stuff - I suspect the "iPhone" and new iPods will wait til another event as the Mac has been and always will be the priority. I can't wait for the Mac OS X Leopard demo most of all...will put Vista even MORE to shame than Tiger does!

When the "iPhone" DOES arrive you will be amazed....

When Steve returned and introduced the multi coloured eMacs he saved apple from going under. All this tosh about the iPod, yeah, don't get me wrong its helped.

Having just read Apple's financial brief of the last 12 months, it has been the first year that iPods have over taken Mac computers in terms of revenue....

My whole point is Apple products are very nice but they are not cheap, you pay extra for the design and the excellent software that comes as standard. They are the Lexus of the computer industry.

:D I love my Mac I have the old G5 Imac with normal chip, not dual core. It does exactly what it says on the box! it works, never lets me down and the standard software is better than the standard PC software. best of all the Imac is all in one. no wires except 1 power cable, that realy helps because I often move it round the house so i can watch dvds on it and I only need one plug and the internet works anywhere too. It looks great and I have only met one person that doesnt like Mac's and personaly I think he's a bit of an idiot because he wouldnt give it the time of day.

yes there more expensive but as said its not a rip off its just good quality and they dont lose there value when you get it out of the box, old G4's are still going for £400 on e bay and there like 3-4 years old!

anyone thinking of buying a mac, JUST DO IT and im sure you will be plesently suprised and probably never go back to pc.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links