Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Snapped Bolt That Holds Spark Plug. Help Please!?

neal

Serviced a 99T Gs300 and when replacing the spark plug adapter that fits over the plug and bolts to the alluminium cover the bolt snapped, leaving about 2cm in the thread. You cannot get at it and i have tried drilling it but the drill bit slips and is starting a fresh hole next to the bolt bit.

Any suggestions please???

I was going to make a bracket and use the hole before which is used to bolt the plastic ht leads down. Incidentally its a 10mm bolt and is about half an inch in length. (well it was before it snapped)!!!

ANY help gratefully received. Got to finish off in morning then off to a funeral beleive it or not!?

Serviced a 99T Gs300 and when replacing the spark plug adapter that fits over the plug and bolts to the alluminium cover the bolt snapped, leaving about 2cm in the thread. You cannot get at it and i have tried drilling it but the drill bit slips and is starting a fresh hole next to the bolt bit.

I was going to make a bracket and use the hole before which is used to bolt the plastic ht leads down. Incidentally its a 10mm bolt and is about half an inch in length. (well it was before it snapped)!!!

ANY help gratefully received. Got to finish off in morning then off to a funeral beleive it or not!?

Try getting a "centre punch" which you hit against the middle of the bolt and then the drill should stay in the middle.

You could may be use a strong nail if you cannot get your hands on a centre punch.

Stick a photo on and I will ask my engineers for other suggestions (tomorrow). They do this sort of thing on pumps all the time.

Try getting a "centre punch" which you hit against the middle of the bolt and then the drill should stay in the middle.

You could may be use a strong nail if you cannot get your hands on a centre punch.

Stick a photo on and I will ask my engineers for other suggestions (tomorrow). They do this sort of thing on pumps all the time.

I should of tried that before i started drilling. Now i have started a small hole next to the snapped off piece of bolt. I am going to attempt to fix it in the morning as i only have about 3 hours to cure the problem as it is being used as a funeral car at 2.30pm.

Thank you VERY much for your input. If i had longer i would place a photo but as speed is of the essence i need to sort it asap!

The bolt was weak. I have done these many many times before with no problems. I have just bought an Ls430 and saved myself £710 by servicing it myself. Just got to sell my old pride and joy (Is300 FULLY loaded)

THANKS once again. I always look at the L.O.C site and scour the forums. I am Lexus mad. I even had my drive made with Lexus written in the block paving! Mad eh????

I should of tried that before i started drilling. Now i have started a small hole next to the snapped off piece of bolt. I am going to attempt to fix it in the morning as i only have about 3 hours to cure the problem as it is being used as a funeral car at 2.30pm.

Thank you VERY much for your input. If i had longer i would place a photo but as speed is of the essence i need to sort it asap!

The bolt was weak. I have done these many many times before with no problems. I have just bought an Ls430 and saved myself £710 by servicing it myself. Just got to sell my old pride and joy (Is300 FULLY loaded)

THANKS once again. I always look at the L.O.C site and scour the forums. I am Lexus mad. I even had my drive made with Lexus written in the block paving! Mad eh????

Yeah thats mad !!

Actually theres a guy 1/2 mile up the road with a prancing horse on his drive ! and yes he has a Ferrari (git).

Good luck mate - if your where in Leeds and send a lad round to help you in your hour of need.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links