Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

99 Gs 300 Replacing Head Unit, How?

Can anyone tell me how easy or hard it is to fit a new after market head unit to my 99 GS 300. I dont have the factory sat nav screen but i would like to fit a double din touch screen head unit , is this complicated with the amp and speaker wireing from the lexus factory, can anyone help, thanks, Ger. :tomato:

Can anyone tell me how easy or hard it is to fit a new after market head unit to my 99 GS 300. I dont have the factory sat nav screen but i would like to fit a double din touch screen head unit , is this complicated with the amp and speaker wireing from the lexus factory, can anyone help, thanks, Ger. :tomato:

its a pain in the *****. Do a search im sure its been covered before

Fed up searching mate cant find a definitive answer, thanks.

Fed up searching mate cant find a definitive answer, thanks.

maybe try this thread here/ Also have a look throught the GS300 section. since i dont have one im not the best man to help. Its probably the same principle as the Rs200. Basically you can try get an ISO adapter to connect you new HU to existing wiring, but to the best of my knowledge, for the cars with external amplifiers, yo u cannot get an ISO adapter. You will need to get a new facia plate, try eBay. In my car the rear speakers cannot be used with a new HU(different Ohmage or something!) So you will have to replace thye existing speakers and get an aftermarket amp to get the most from the new speakers.

Maybe im wrong about your model. Hopefully a GS300 owner will come along and advise

it's pretty straightforward, as long as you get a doubledin unit that had a built in power amp, it's usually around 4x50w. you can get a double din housing that fits flush with the centre console from www.l-tunedparts.com, look in the audio or interior section, i think it's 45 bucks. looks real oem too.

ditch any idea of using the factory amp, as that only works with the factory hu

Hello, have a look at these, I have done what you want to do as I had the same setup in my car.

With the install kit it takes about an hour to change radio over, it is very easy to do. Just take your time and be carefull not to scratch/damage car.

When you remove your ash tray make sure you put a cloth at bottom of console to protect it.

You will have to bypass the amp in the boot, the biggest problem was sorting out the wiring for speakers.

I have made a note of the colour wires and what does what.

I will sort it out and send over.

If you give me your e-mail address I will send you the instructions for the radio install.

The unit I fitted was the VisualX M-650TV/DVD

Spec:-

DVD Player

6.5" TFT Colour Monitor

Touch Screen

DVD, VCD, CD, CD-R/CD-RW, MP3, MP4, 8CM Play

Built in AM / FM Stereo receiver

Built in TV Tuner

Motorized Display Angle Adjustment

Multi Channel Auto - EQ Setting

C-Bus System Control

Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro II Surround

DVD/CD/VCD changer control

4 x 50W High power output, 2 Road independences output

1A/V Input, ! Camera In

RCA Level A/V Output

Volume, Treble, Bass, Balance, Fader Controls

Brightness, Contrast, Colour Controls

Last Position Memory

Two Din Bracket

Remote Control.

If your interested I have one for sale - the same as mine, brand new in the box = £300.00

It has also got Auto reverse camera - You have to buy camera.

When you select reverse the camera automatically comes on the display.

Its wicked.

Picture of console and new DVD payler Fitted

I purchase my double din adapter plate from HERE

Previous forum about fitting Double Din HERE

Hope it helps. All the best Paul.

Hello, have a look at these, I have done what you want to do as I had the same setup in my car.

With the install kit it takes about an hour to change radio over, it is very easy to do. Just take your time and be carefull not to scratch/damage car.

When you remove your ash tray make sure you put a cloth at bottom of console to protect it.

You will have to bypass the amp in the boot, the biggest problem was sorting out the wiring for speakers.

I have made a note of the colour wires and what does what.

I will sort it out and send over.

If you give me your e-mail address I will send you the instructions for the radio install.

The unit I fitted was the VisualX M-650TV/DVD

Spec:-

DVD Player

6.5" TFT Colour Monitor

Touch Screen

DVD, VCD, CD, CD-R/CD-RW, MP3, MP4, 8CM Play

Built in AM / FM Stereo receiver

Built in TV Tuner

Motorized Display Angle Adjustment

Multi Channel Auto - EQ Setting

C-Bus System Control

Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro II Surround

DVD/CD/VCD changer control

4 x 50W High power output, 2 Road independences output

1A/V Input, ! Camera In

RCA Level A/V Output

Volume, Treble, Bass, Balance, Fader Controls

Brightness, Contrast, Colour Controls

Last Position Memory

Two Din Bracket

Remote Control.

If your interested I have one for sale - the same as mine, brand new in the box = £300.00

It has also got Auto reverse camera - You have to buy camera.

When you select reverse the camera automatically comes on the display.

Its wicked.

Picture of console and new DVD payler Fitted

I purchase my double din adapter plate from HERE

Previous forum about fitting Double Din HERE

Hope it helps. All the best Paul.

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply, the picture on your link is not of the dvd player and i did a search for the unit and found nothing, and what install kit did you use. Did you keep the origianal speakers or not thanks.

:blush:

it's pretty straightforward, as long as you get a doubledin unit that had a built in power amp, it's usually around 4x50w. you can get a double din housing that fits flush with the centre console from www.l-tunedparts.com, look in the audio or interior section, i think it's 45 bucks. looks real oem too.

ditch any idea of using the factory amp, as that only works with the factory hu

Hi Maneesh, can i use the factory speakers with the new head unit, what about the bass bin in the back shelf? thanks. :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links