Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Anyone Tried ****

MacRS200

Idle thought as I was filling up at Sainsbo's this morning, has anyone with a de-catted zorst tried LRP instead of Super Unleaded?

It is 97 RON and the same price as SUL, apart from possibly knackering the CAT (which I don't have anyway) is there any reason why it can't be used?

Good question....

But isn't it the actual octane rating of the fuel that gives the va va vroom?

LRP fuel was introduced to protect pre-1992 engines which don't have the hardened valve seats, so I don't think there would be any benefit :question:

Would be no good for me tooo :)

Nope, nor for me. I use the Tesico 99 RON stuff.. I heard the price of unleaded is dropping anyway?? Does this also apply to the higher octane unleaded fuels too?

LRP fuel was introduced to protect pre-1992 engines which don't have the hardened valve seats, so I don't think there would be any benefit :question:

Suppose the questions are, will it do any harm, what would performance be like and how would MPG compare.

Idle curiosity I suppose.

Nope, nor for me. I use the Tesico 99 RON stuff.. I heard the price of unleaded is dropping anyway?? Does this also apply to the higher octane unleaded fuels too?

Yep,I use Shell V-Power which is 99RON,and its price has plummeted recently.92.9p/L around here at mo..

Yep,I use Shell V-Power which is 99RON,and its price has plummeted recently.92.9p/L around here at mo..

Good news indeed :D

Good question....

No, it's not the octane rating that gives it the 'va va vroom'. Octane rating measures one thing, and one thing only - the resistance to pre-spark ignition. The more resistant it is to self-detonation as a result of the heat generated by compression, then the more you can compress the mixture, which enables greater power to be developed. The calorific value of the 95 and 99 octane fuel is more or less identical, so it will not release any extra energy (hence no extra power) unless you have modified your engine.

Using high-octane fuel will have no benefit whatsoever except psychological, and making your wallet easier to carry.

Mike

octane rating is one thing. But i'd imagine superior fuels (like vpower vs super unleaded) tend to have more additives?

Cos I can honestly see that filling with Caltex/Chevron Gold vs Platinum does does in fact yield slightly higher fuel consumption (gold seems to burn quicker than platinum). I'm not saying its because of the RON value, but that I think Platinum has some additives that make it burn more efficient?

On a full tank, I get around 40km more on platinum as compared with gold (same driving style), averaged over 5-6 times i've done this test.

Using high-octane fuel will have no benefit whatsoever except psychological, and making your wallet easier to carry.

But surely high octane fuel WILL make a difference for a turbocharged import, which was designed to run on 100 RON?

But surely high octane fuel WILL make a difference for a turbocharged import, which was designed to run on 100 RON?

My car will run very poorly on low octane fuel, probably damaging the car. Which is why I use high octane fuel. If it is just a psychological thing then maybe you can pay the bill if it breaks :winky:

Octane rating measures one thing, and one thing only - the resistance to pre-spark ignition. The more resistant it is to self-detonation as a result of the heat generated by compression, then the more you can compress the mixture, which enables greater power to be developed. The calorific value of the 95 and 99 octane fuel is more or less identical, so it will not release any extra energy (hence no extra power) unless you have modified your engine.

Partially true on my undestanding, higher octane fuels also combust in a different way, they burn in a more controlled manner. This means that more fuel is burning while the piston is further down the combustion stroke, this produces more torque. Also because of the slower burn you can run more ignition advance allowing higher revs giving more power.

It is not the calorific value of the fuel that is important here, it is how much of that energy is converted into power.

Agree that just using higher octane fuel on a car designed to run on 95 RON without modifying the engine will make no difference.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links