Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help Please!

Hi guys I need help off someone with more of an idea than I have.

The problem- My is200 sounds (to my untrained ear) like it is only firing on 5 cylinders also the engine management light is flashing on and off also the trc "off" light.

After searching the forum for poss problems I found the most common cause is the coil pack, well after opening the bonnet and scratching my head till it hurt I worked out what a coil pack was.

I let the rather sick engine tick over and removed each coil lead one by one, the engine noise changed each time I removed a lead, I did this twice on each coil just to be sure. Well I am no expert but I guess that it is not a coil.

This is the end of poss problems for me, so its over to the experts, any help you can give me would be great.

Cheers,

John.

Hi John,

Not having an IS, I can't confirm the fault but may be able to point you in a few places that could cause this, sounds like it's not a spark or coils causing this,

Have a look at the cambelt, may have slip a little causing the timing to be knocked out a little. Check for signs of cracking etc.. on the belt.

Another possible answer maybe fuel starvation, something blocking the filter.

Sorry I can't offer anything else as never worked on an IS but based on what you have described, this maybe a way forward to help you.

BR

Paul

Sounds like a faulty ABS sensor or wire. IIRC this gives the warning lights you have.

Edit - Not quite but more likely ABS fault than engine I would say.

Edited by MacRS200

Thanks for the replys, I will have a look at the fuel and cam belt in the morning. I know jack about ABS so I think I will have a look for anything that jumps out and bites me, but I dont think I dare fiddle about with it.

Update on progress- I limped my car down to the local garages in town today, although mid Wales is a very nice place to live trying to get a car fixed before the end of the world is impossible, and a car with a computer on board in there eyes must be wichcraft! needless to say my car is still poorly.

Will let you know how I get on with the fuel ect.

John.

Hi guys I need help off someone with more of an idea than I have.

The problem- My is200 sounds (to my untrained ear) like it is only firing on 5 cylinders also the engine management light is flashing on and off also the trc "off" light.

After searching the forum for poss problems I found the most common cause is the coil pack, well after opening the bonnet and scratching my head till it hurt I worked out what a coil pack was.

I let the rather sick engine tick over and removed each coil lead one by one, the engine noise changed each time I removed a lead, I did this twice on each coil just to be sure. Well I am no expert but I guess that it is not a coil.

This is the end of poss problems for me, so its over to the experts, any help you can give me would be great.

Cheers,

John.

It sounds like one of your coil pack :o

Did you unplug the coil pack when ticking over ? coz if you did then your engine should stop, dont work like the old days :o computers :lol:

if you can og to a garage and get the error codes then you should know for sure, coil pack codes are something like 1205, 1210, 1215, 1220, 1225, 1230, think thay go up in 5's for each cylinder, if you can tell me the code then i can tell you the problem :D

Well I bit the bullet and let the moths out of my wallet and took it to a garage that had the knowlage to deal with it.

They replaced all the sparkplugs (after I have just ordered a set from the group buy!!) and they found that two of the coil packs were faulty.

Total cost for the work done and the parts was £300.00, I think this was a bit of a bargain what do you guys think? I'm sure you have had more dealings with lexus repairs than me.

Thanks to all for the advice given.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links