Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Clay Barring

well, i washed my car earlier today (before it started to rain :tsktsk: ) and then went about clay barring. i used the new Meguiars clay bar kit (clay bar, detailing spritz which acts as the lubricant and seper sheen microfibre towel) and all i can say is.....WOW!

the finish on the paint is unbelieveable!! i could never had imagined how much smoother it would make the paint surface feel :o :D

what's more, a lot of the tar and bug debris were removed whilst using the clay. it didn't eliminate too many swirl marks, but the finish is awesome!!!

i was gonna post some pics......but mother nature took a turn for the worse and there's no point going out in the rain now!!! :crybaby:

just thought i'd share this with you all. i dunno if anyone has used the meg's kit on here???

cheers

rob :D

I agree "Claying" does help to bring out the best..............But bl**dy Hard work :D

i found it alright actually. i don't think you need to press to firmly. mind you, by the time you've washed the car and have then gone over the whole thing again with a clay bar, you do find yourself pretty feckd!!!

worth it though :D

I agree "Claying" does help to bring out the best..............But bl**dy Hard work :D

i found it alright actually. i don't think you need to press to firmly. mind you, by the time you've washed the car and have then gone over the whole thing again with a clay bar, you do find yourself pretty feckd!!!

clay barring always takes a while because you keep doing "before" and "after" tests with the back of your hand, comparing the "just clayed" panel and the "about to be clayed" panel! :lol:

Did mine earlier. Rain held off, just a couple of spots.

clay barring always takes a while because you keep doing "before" and "after" tests with the back of your hand, comparing the "just clayed" panel and the "about to be clayed" panel! :lol:

Did mine earlier. Rain held off, just a couple of spots.

yea, ur right there :lol::lol:

is it detrimental to the paint to clay bar often???

:) and it's about the only safe way to get rid of specks of spray paint.

My neighbour once decided to spray his lawn furniture next to my car port and this was the way to get it down. Cost me half a day though, but i'd never seen the car so clean.

RX-Men-8

looks good Rob! :D

What did you apply after the clay bar?

i clay barred with the Meguiars detailing spritz and was gonna give it a full coat of wax, but it started peeing it down so had to call it a day :crybaby:

Right then. The clay job has removed everything that was there previously protecting your paintwork. Soon as possible is get something on there (Kalsse AIO or similar) and seal the paint from all the nasty things that can hurt it.

Finish off with a good carnauba wax! :D

Yep, wax will be OK short-term, but it isn't a sealant and even the best stuff soon loses it's qualities to protect. You'll be ok for a few weeks until the sun gets hot and starts to bleach the paint.

Yep, wax will be OK short-term, but it isn't a sealant and even the best stuff soon loses it's qualities to protect. You'll be ok for a few weeks until the sun gets hot and starts to bleach the paint.

ok mate.

what stuff could i buy to use as a sealant then??? i don't have any Klasse all-in-one. would a paint sealant from a reputable manufacturer be ok (i.e meg's, auto glymm, turtle wax??). now i've clay barred it once....does this mean i will have to continuously apply sealant??? or is this only done after clay barring??

Klasse and Sonus products are great. Klasse sealant glaze is what I use. Few layers of it (leaving 24hrs between layers). Then a few layers of wax on top.

You can buy the products from Autopia

Klasse and Sonus products are great. Klasse sealant glaze is what I use. Few layers of it (leaving 24hrs between layers). Then a few layers of wax on top.

i know mate, but i need the paint sealant pretty sharpish. what is decent that i could buy from Halfords for example???

i know mate, but i need the paint sealant pretty sharpish. what is decent that i could buy from Halfords for example???

Order it from Autopia and it'll be with you in a couple of days :D

Order it from Autopia and it'll be with you in a couple of days :D

agreed mate, but i really wanna get something on there pretty sharpish. then i can use the klasse/sonus products when i detail next time.

any suggestions???

went out yesterday to get some sealant but both Halfords and motorworld near me were out of the meg's stuff. i ended up buying some carplan nanomeric paint protectant and sealant. very expensive but very good....from what i've been told. :D

its water based and sounds real easy to apply. just wipe on, panel at a time, and bob's your uncle!!!

will hopefully get round to it tonight if it doesn't rain.

Meguiars Deep Crystal Carnauba wax (Halfords srock this) will do the trick

That is good stuff but if you really wanna spend some time and get the best result after claying then I would suggest the mequiars 3 stage deep crystal system. i have used it a couple of times on different paints and it works brilliantly every time!! :D

ok, just got in from washing the car (again :tsktsk: ) and applying the 'Carplan nanomeric paint protectant and sealant.' all i can say is....wow!!!! it looks great!! the sealant provides a gloss finish and its soooo smooth it feels like glass! :D :D

a very happy chappy!! :D

• 1 month later...

just wanted to pick up on this thread........

could anybody advise how often claying should be done?

is it a case of when it 'feels' dirty.....or are set time intervals more beneficial??

also, can claying too often damage to paint?

cheers

rob

is it a case of when it 'feels' dirty.....or are set time intervals more beneficial??

cheers

rob

Probably only twice a year mate. Your paint work shouldn't really take too much abuse with the stuff that you've already done to it..

When you clay bar it again you'll have to re-apply everything else again too

cheers

rob

Probably only twice a year mate. Your paint work shouldn't really take too much abuse with the stuff that you've already done to it..

When you clay bar it again you'll have to re-apply everything else again too

ok fella, thanks for the advice :D

slightly :offtopic: .....when using something like scratch-x, should i apply the sealant glaze to the affected area??

If / when you use scratch x on the suface, as its abrasive it'll take all the stuff off that you've already done, AIO, sealant glaze etc... You'll notice it when you feel the surface that it'll feel rough again

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links