Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is 200 Servicing Work

Hi.

I am a new to your forum but have to say it is fantastic.

Maybe I have been blind in my search but I am looking for info of exactly what work is done and what parts are replaced with every service at a Lexus dealer.

I have bought my first Lexus just 2 days ago. :) It's a 60,000 mile 2001 IS200 SE with the sport pack and parking sensors. I've wanted one of these since they were released. Stunning looking cars and from what I have found so far, fantastic to drive too.

I got it from an independant garage for what I think is a good price of £8000 with one previous owner and a full Lexus service history.

At least the service history is full up until it's big 60,000 mile service which I have just booked it in for. Jesus it's expensive. Very different quotes from different dealers. £620 - Leeds, £585 - Manchester and £550 - Sheffield. Needless to say I am booked in with Sheffield.

What exactly is the work carried out and what parts are replaced at every service, especially in my case, the 60,000 mile service.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers

Mark

PS. I want to sign up for Gold Membership here and wondered if I need the Gold Card in my hand before I can get the 15% reduction for my service? Maybe I should have booked it in after I received the card?

Hi.

I am a new to your forum but have to say it is fantastic.

Maybe I have been blind in my search but I am looking for info of exactly what work is done and what parts are replaced with every service at a Lexus dealer.

I have bought my first Lexus just 2 days ago. :) It's a 60,000 mile 2001 IS200 SE with the sport pack and parking sensors. I've wanted one of these since they were released. Stunning looking cars and from what I have found so far, fantastic to drive too.

I got it from an independant garage for what I think is a good price of £8000 with one previous owner and a full Lexus service history.

At least the service history is full up until it's big 60,000 mile service which I have just booked it in for. Jesus it's expensive. Very different quotes from different dealers. £620 - Leeds, £585 - Manchester and £550 - Sheffield. Needless to say I am booked in with Sheffield.

What exactly is the work carried out and what parts are replaced at every service, especially in my case, the 60,000 mile service.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers

Mark

PS. I want to sign up for Gold Membership here and wondered if I need the Gold Card in my hand before I can get the 15% reduction for my service? Maybe I should have booked it in after I received the card?

Hi Mark, your spot on it is a fantastic forum, I have only been a user and IS owner for 6 weeks and the advice has been 1st class, so we are in good company.

I think you'll find, although someone will say for definate, that you will need to produce the card to the dealer in order to get the discount, you I think also to need to tell them when you book it in, although i'm unsure why ? :D

Hello Mark.

A word of advice, what they say and what they do is two different things. I have told this story before but i went to an independent garage that dealt with jap cars. 1 tech was ex-Lexus, 2 mechanic's were from Toyota/Lexus and 2 from Mitsubishi.

What they told me was that often things were checked on the list but not actually done or done throughly what we basically pay them to do.

The chaps were from 2 different branches down south but both actually said the same thing.

An isolated branches ok we can forgive maybe a bad branch but 2 different ones? Seems that it is more common practice than we would know or like to be known.

To top it off what Lexus pay their mechanics/techs is not a lot more than Toyota and by all accounts that aint much hence why they set up their own garage and own mission statement.

Just be careful and if possible ask to watch as these chaps invited me to do when i had my car serviced and other things done with refreshments may i add.

Oh yeah welcome to the LOC.

:) Thank you guys for posting a response so quickly. Much appreciated.

I had assumed I would need the gold card before I could get a discount but thought I would ask anyway.

With regard to the response about the work done during a service, This I expect is probably the same for any main dealer or in fact any independant but we certainly pay a premium for work to be done by a dealer and expect premium work to be done.

I am just looking at the suppliment to the Auto Express magazine rating the service given from main dealers for which Lexus has appeared top in every single field. Good to know that real lexus drivers feel that the service and communications received from Lexus is the best available.

I would love to watch the work done during my 60,000 mile service but as they need my car all day for this and are providing me with a courtesy in the mean time then I recon I will just enjoy my day off work and clock up a few miles on their car. Wonder what car it will be anyway?

It would be great to be given info on exactly what SHOULD be done during this big service so I can at least question what HAS been done.

Thanks again fella's and I am still absolutely over the moon with my new car despite the crazy servicing costs.

Cheers

Mark

The Warranty and Care (?) booklet with the handbook lists what is done. You'll need to hand it over to get it stamped too.

It certainly does :D As for your gold membership PM Steve (Admin) and see what he says about receiving your card for the service

:) Thank you guys for posting a response so quickly. Much appreciated.

I had assumed I would need the gold card before I could get a discount but thought I would ask anyway.

With regard to the response about the work done during a service, This I expect is probably the same for any main dealer or in fact any independant but we certainly pay a premium for work to be done by a dealer and expect premium work to be done.

I am just looking at the suppliment to the Auto Express magazine rating the service given from main dealers for which Lexus has appeared top in every single field. Good to know that real lexus drivers feel that the service and communications received from Lexus is the best available.

I would love to watch the work done during my 60,000 mile service but as they need my car all day for this and are providing me with a courtesy in the mean time then I recon I will just enjoy my day off work and clock up a few miles on their car. Wonder what car it will be anyway?

It would be great to be given info on exactly what SHOULD be done during this big service so I can at least question what HAS been done.

Thanks again fella's and I am still absolutely over the moon with my new car despite the crazy servicing costs.

Cheers

Mark

Ask the dealer if they can arrange for an IS250, I have just had one for a few days from Lexus Teesside as mine was getting a few bits done. It was very very nice.

Minor Service - IS200 and IS300

(10,000 miles or 12 months - whichever is the sooner)

* Drain & replace engine oil (Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic) including 1 litre top up pack

* Replace oil filter and replace sump washer

* Check coolant, top up if required

* Replace key remote Battery

* Check & report on brake pads & discs

* Check & report on tyres and tyre tread depths, adjust pressures as required

* Check corrosion & body damage and report as required

* Check windscreen & wipers & top up washer fluid

* Check suspension ball joints & shock absorbers

* Inspect clutch fluid

* Inspect air filter, clean if required

* Check all lights for cracks and all bulbs are working

Major Serive

Minor Service - IS200 and IS300

(20,000 miles or 12 months - whichever is the sooner)

* Drain & replace engine oil (Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic) including 1 litre top up pack

* Replace oil filter and replace sump washer

* Check coolant, top up if required

* Replace key remote Battery

* Check & report on brake pads & discs

* Check & report on tyres and tyre tread depths, adjust pressures as required

* Check corrosion & body damage and report as required

* Check windscreen & wipers & top up washer fluid

* Check suspension ball joints & shock absorbers

* Inspect clutch fluid

* Inspect air filter, clean if required

* Check all lights for cracks and all bulbs are working

* Check alarm, power windows and central locking systems for correct operation

* Inspect exhaust system and mountings and check leaks

* Inspect fuel tank, lines and connections and vapour control

* Replace Diff Oil

* Replace Air Con filter

* Replace brake fluid

* Inspect drive shaft boot covers

* Check brake and clutch pipes for leaks and check connections

* Check power stering fluid and top up if needed

* Check drive belts for wear and deflection

* Check transmission oil

* Check brake and parking brake for free play and travel

* Check steering wheel free play and linkage for wear and security

Guarantee they will skip some of them points. After i bought my car when i had it serviced myself by the independents they pulled off a non-toyota oil filter. Last service, Lexus Cardiff. They just laughed.

Well thank you all for your posts.

I did look quickly at my service book just to check the service stamps but didn't open my eyes enough to see the list of work done at each service. Thanks for that, really useful.

Lets hope they don't find anything else wrong. :crybaby:

Now the IS250 sounds like fun. Fingers crossed for that one as a courtesy car then.

Thanks again fella's for your really good advice and thanks for welcoming me to LOC and the world of Lexus.

Cheers

Mark

My car has had a full lexus service history so far, but its now due its 70K service and to be honest I'd rather get it serviced from my mate who has a garage. At least I'd know what had and had not been done and I could supply the right genuine parts. Thing is its a shame to "spoil" the service book with a stamp from an independent garage.

My local Lexus dealers are Stockport and Manchester and after hearing about Gord's problems with them and a few other negative reports it has made me think twice. I nice courtesy car will help however...:lol:

Not sure what to do..... :unsure:

i wouldn't be too concerned about 'spoiling' the lexus history on an older model, the effect on price when you come to sell would prob be negligible, as long as it's serviced and stamped by A garage is the main thing. although i know where your coming from, it's not about the resale value is it, it's about the 'purity' i suppose.

My car has had a full lexus service history so far, but its now due its 70K service and to be honest I'd rather get it serviced from my mate who has a garage. At least I'd know what had and had not been done and I could supply the right genuine parts. Thing is its a shame to "spoil" the service book with a stamp from an independent garage.

My local Lexus dealers are Stockport and Manchester and after hearing about Gord's problems with them and a few other negative reports it has made me think twice. I nice courtesy car will help however...:lol:

Not sure what to do..... :unsure:

Up until I bought my car, it had full Lexus stamps. Mines now due for its second service under my ownership and its being done independantly again. I buy the parts (Gen) and he carries out the same level of work to their spec. In the meantime I say myself more money on the service than what id lose if anything on the car come resale time!

Hows that for putting things into perspective. :D

£620 - Leeds, £585 - Manchester and £550 - Sheffield. Needless to say I am booked in with Sheffield.

I had four services out five done with Sheffield on my last IS. I found the service there top notch. Even though I live in Leicester it still worked out cheaper to go there. Now I have a service plan so will just go whereever is most convenient, probably Leicester again.

Up until I bought my car, it had full Lexus stamps. Mines now due for its second service under my ownership and its being done indepandly again. I buy the parts (Gen) and he carries out the same level of work to their spec. In the meantime I say myself more money on the service than what id lose if anything on the car come resale time!

Hows that for putting things into perspective. :D

Good points Kazi and star a! I have more confidence and better peace of mind if I could physically "see" everything being done at a local garage then being told it has been done by a lexus dealer. You feel abit more involved too when buying parts etc.

Yeah.. I think independents the way to go for me :D My 60K service was done at Lexus Exeter as a condition of the sale and I've always had nagging doubts if everything was changed and done properly by the dealer (since its a very expensive service). The 70K service is supposed to be a minor one, but it will do no harm if I change the plugs anyway (get the IK20's off eBay cheap). Sorry for "hogging" the thread.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links