Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lsd - Is Mine Working How It Should Be?

After reading the thread about 'How can I tell if my car is a Sports model or an SE?' I decided to go have a close look at my car.

I bought my 2000 (W-reg) IS200 Sport about a month back and since then have just driven it without really looking too closely at what I had.

Looking at the list of criterias I need to have on my car to make it a Sport model, I can say I have most of them. But just to be sure, I did two experiments to check whether I had an LSD or not.

1. I jacked up the rear of the car and took off the handbrake. I turned one of the rear wheels by hand and looked at the other. Now, from what my friend tells me (owner of Nissan 200SX) the wheels should both turn in the same direction if I have an LSD. My other wheel didn't turn. It didn't turn in the opposite direction either.

2. Found a piece of grass and launched the car. Went back to look at the mess I left and from what I can tell, both wheels spun up at the same time and both trails ended at the same point.

3. My friend did a donut in the car as I couldn't. Yes, he's the one with the 200SX... (more practice y'see).

Added bit: I have lots of receipts with the car and in the receipts from work carried out by the dealership, the car is stated as a Sport - must mean it's a sport... hahah

:lol:

i have Had 3 IS200 Sports From Brand New and a sure way to tell if you have a sport Is fit it with Goodyear F1s and turn the Traction Off in the rain and go a bit nuts.

If you get home with clean Duds then i would Say that you aint tryin or its an SE (LOL)

i have Had 3 IS200 Sports From Brand New and a sure way to tell if you have a sport Is fit it with Goodyear F1s and turn the Traction Off in the rain and go a bit nuts.

If you get home with clean Duds then i would Say that you aint tryin or its an SE (LOL)

not sure thats the most cost effective way/sensible way to resolve the issue. personally, i'm not too sure, but someone will be along soon that can help :D

The Best Way to Find out is to get the Chassis Number And Ring your local dealer.

Or Lexus GB.

The Can Provide Full History On the Car From that Number

surely it should be on the V5C???

what do the insurance company have the car registered as??

The Best Way to Find out is to get the Chassis Number And Ring your local dealer.

Or Lexus GB.

The Can Provide Full History On the Car From that Number

surely it should be on the V5C???

what do the insurance company have the car registered as??

Insurance company has it as a Sport. Also all receipts (from previous owner) from dealership has my chassis number, number plate matching my car as well as 'sport' mentioned.

My question was more about the LSD... if I have one, shouldn't both wheels turn in the same direction if turned by hand?

:D

It's a LIMITED slip differential. I suppose you could weld it up if you didn't want it limited...of course it wouldn't go round corners very well :D .

....sorry, you can't tell by jacking the car up and turning one wheel! :ph34r:

Oh right. I've seen it working (jacking car up) on a different make of car, so I thought the same would happen on mine. Mystery solved I guess...

:hehe:

Oh right. I've seen it working (jacking car up) on a different make of car, so I thought the same would happen on mine. Mystery solved I guess...

:hehe:

It'll depend on the type of LSD, and I'm not sure what's fitted on the IS even though I've got one on mine according to the documentation. It'll probably be a Torsen system...TORqueSENsitive? :unsure:

jack the back end of the car up and turn a wheel by hand. If the opposite wheel turns the same way, it's got an LSD. If it turns the other way, it's open. Sometimes it helps if you hold the propshaft stationary whilst you do this. And it doesn't always work anyway. :ohmy:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links