Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How Much To Ask For When Moving?

maneesh

Hi,

I heard somewhere it's normally to ask for 20% more when changing jobs. Is that true? I'm thinking of going into "management consulting". Before you all start calling me a :tsktsk: :tsktsk: , I've been stuck at same level and same salary in my current role as a small cog in a big wheel. Consulting offers a faster route to the top.

Any advice (sensible of course)??

Hi,

I heard somewhere it's normally to ask for 20% more when changing jobs. Is that true? I'm thinking of going into "management consulting". Before you all start calling me a :tsktsk: :tsktsk: , I've been stuck at same level and same salary in my current role as a small cog in a big wheel. Consulting offers a faster route to the top.

Any advice (sensible of course)??

In terms of what amount is "normal" to ask for is really diffiicult to answer. As a rule of thumb I have always asked for something that i feel i can justify asking for, because if you don't ask, you don't get! You ought to question whever you are happy or not in your present position? What are you looking for at 'the top'? Also it depends very much on the size of the company and what their ambitions are. It may be more sensible to take other benefits than take a slightly higher salary. I know what it is like in my field of work but I am not sure what it is like in your field - so all of what i have said is rather subjective. Hope this give you a little help. If you are looking at the moment - good luck.

S

When I moved companies and changed roles I took a cut. Depends on lots of things though. Are you in management now? By "management consulting" do you mean as a contractor, ie going freelance? If thats the case it'll be dictacted by the going hourly market rate.

IMO there's no such thing as a set increase when moving jobs. It all depends upon the level of responsibility, renumeration structure etc. Also remember that as a freelance or consultant staff you'll always be first for the firing squad if times get lean.

When I moved companies and changed roles I took a cut. Depends on lots of things though. Are you in management now? By "management consulting" do you mean as a contractor, ie going freelance? If thats the case it'll be dictacted by the going hourly market rate.

Cheers dude. This would be permanent. It involves being based in London, but being based at the client's site during the weekdays. Clients are generally in London & SE.

Which firm are you moving to?

Would rather not say for now as discussions haven't begun yet, but it's one of the Big 4 professional firms.

In my opinion make a stupid request for increase, if they want you can always compromise.

Otherwise you could also be selling yourself short

Well, I've put forward a 20-22% increase in base salary, to which they have said that wouldn't be a problem if I was eventually hired. Have to have a telephone interview, then a competency based interview, and then an interview with one of the partners! :o :blush:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links