Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How Many Cats?

MacRS200

I have the RS-R manifold and downpipe fitted to the car taking out what I thought were the pre-cats. Thinking that I also had a main cat in the centre section of the exhaust should be OK for MOT provided the one remaining cat was hot enough. Turns out that there is no cat there after all so I have a completely de-catted system.

Question is should there be one there that a previous owner has removed, or are the cats I removed the only ones I ever had? Got the MOT looming and looking for a fix so any clues would be most welcome.

TIA Neil

there should be one in the centre pipe im sure

Thats what I think as well

just 1 cat

it's in the mid section of the system, level with the front seats then slight bend to a silencer

I got a silencer box right where you describe Robin, it has a heat shield behind it which makes me think that it should be cat.

That's the missing bit on mine.

So you must have a de-cat pipe in then (cut and flanged) do you have the silencer

or a straight through mid section

I got 2 silencers, one where the cat was and one where it is in the pic. no flanges apart from the ends.

is that an after-market part you've brought yourself

or was it on the car when you got it

if so where did you get it

Was on the car when I bought it mate. May be on the hunt for a catted version soon.

The 6 speed MT has 1 main CAT, no pre-cats.

I installed my HKS 4-1 last week, and removed the main CAT with straight through :)

You got it fitted then mate good news :D

Did you replace the main cat as the whole centre section or did you just cut it out and weld a piece of pipe in?

Yeh all done.

As the for the main cat, it was cut out of the original pipe and replaced with a 304 grade stainless tube.

I was in a rush but for £60.00 they will add flanges too, i can slot it back in come MOT time :) (if i still have her in january that is lol)

Smells little more and the popping is has increased little bit :lol:

Nice one mate, told you it was easy :D

Was hoping that it was the whole centre section so that I cound have asked for a loan for my MOT on the 29th :crybaby:

Gentlemen I'm new to this forum, I'm about to get my rs200 auto altezza in about a week.

I have a couple questions on this topic,

1. how much cats do the auto have?

2. where is it located?

3. are there any issues I should know about before removing them[ecu/O2 sensor malfunction etc.]

Please be aware I'm new to these kind of things and thanks in advance for the responces.

Oh by the way I'm from Trinidad.

I'm off up to Janspeed tomorrow to get a quote for a de-cat mid section

sure it wont be cheap :lol::yawn:

so I'll let you know how I get on

if I can get it by the end of the month I may be able to help MacRS200

main reason for getting a new mid-section is, Since fitting the new manifold I've had some vibration/resonance?

which seems to be coming from where the 2 sections meet,

could be a number on things talked to a few peeps had the car up on the ramp a looked can't see anything

so it will be nice to talk to Janspeed to see what they think

@ Mr Singh

have you noticed any change in the sound of the manifold like mentioned above since fitting????

have you rapped yours with anything????

@ Razi

on the 6 mt the o2 sensor is before the cat in the maifold and it is the only sensor on the system :D

I'm off up to Janspeed tomorrow to get a quote for a de-cat mid section

sure it wont be cheap :lol::yawn:

so I'll let you know how I get on

if I can get it by the end of the month I may be able to help MacRS200

main reason for getting a new mid-section is, Since fitting the new manifold I've had some vibration/resonance?

which seems to be coming from where the 2 sections meet,

could be a number on things talked to a few peeps had the car up on the ramp a looked can't see anything

so it will be nice to talk to Janspeed to see what they think

Be great if you could mate :D

On resonance, my manifold "rasps" big time at about 3.5 - 4k and is fairly loud when you have the foot down. I put that down to the tuning of the manifold, it is designed to resonate to improve the exhaust flow at the revs where you want more torque.

@ Mr Singh

have you noticed any change in the sound of the manifold like mentioned above since fitting????

have you rapped yours with anything????

Yes, the sound isn't how I thought it would be, its almost whistley, like a fine thin blowing sound.

I haven't wrapped it.

The De-Cat instantly felt little better on lower revs, but the smell of rich mixture on idle is very apparent.

Yes, the sound isn't how I thought it would be, its almost whistley, like a fine thin blowing sound.

That sound you describe I am guessing is the manifold gasket vibrating because of a leak. Also that would allow air in at idle causing the engine to run rich and hence the petrol (rich) smell.

i have a cat..

for rent...just like this

Well that's right neighbourly of you Mat :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links