Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Overflow pipe...may get nipped

EDIT

Please read title as follows:-

Supercharger owners, please check coolant pipe for signs of wear....

A while ago i bought some new HKS Silicone pipe to replace the black plastic standard pipe that runs from the rad cap to behind the rad.

Whilst removing the origional pip i found that the front bolts on the supercharger had slowly been eating away at the pipe itself......

There was less than 0.05mm of pipe left, needless to say if this had broken through it would have dripped coolant onto the power steering pully, along with several other very important items...

I replaced the pipe and made it shorter so that it drops straight down and away from the charger iteself.

I dont know if anyone else has this problem but we changed Galla's when we fitted it to make sure it never happens.

Would be worth everyone having a look i think.

I think its when the engine lurches forward it nibbles a bit each time. either way a bit of silicone pipe was all that was needed to rectify the situation.

ive only ever noticed this problem on 2 cars, both had, had front end bumps in a past life.

i never experianced such a problem in my car when it was supercharged, and i also changed to the slightly thicker samco hose.

i would personally edit the topic title, as your statement isnt actually true, this isnt a problem with the supercharger, it is however an issue on some cars if they have had a front end bump, or as u are using, thicker outer diameter samco hoseing

also as its an overflow pipe, it wouldnt matter if the pipe was nibbled through, i can assure you all, i doubt anyones overflow pipe has been used yet......

actually on looking back at your image, the route of the original pipe marked is wrong!!

Edited by Monster-Mat

but i had neither a front end bump nor was i using thicker hosing. this was post my crash in jan last year as i checked the pipe in question after the accident. my crash involved a drivers door and b pillar.

perhaps the title may be a little ott, but the problem will only manifest itself at the worst possible time!! should you not know it exists.

my overflow pipe had several ML of liquid in it, enough to lubricate the pullys should it have leaked??????????

There are several MM of pipe thickness on the standard pipe, and im sure this is a problem associated with a prolonged wearing away rather than a sudden impact.

All i suggest is that people check to ensure that this is not afflicting them, as i did not know of this condition at all.

Even though you say you have experienced two cases of it.

All i have done by routing myselfs and gallas pipes away from the pully itself is to ensure that this problem never manifests itself again in this form.

I dont fully agree with the fact that it is not a "Possible supercharger danger" as it is a danger none the less.

do HKS do silicone piping ?

cant see how the supercharger can cause damage, i use thicker silicone pipe and there is still a fingers gap between the two, if your engine lurches enough to even touch it i would be more worried about your mountings

and even if it was to lubricate the pulleys, :unsure: what danger would it cause, driving through rain would be more dangerous

yes HKS do make silicone piping, i got it from SUMO POWER.

Personaly i would rather post this up and have someone find it rather than it cause a problem then me write up afterwards.

Personaly i do worry about how much the engine does lurch, i want to find a damper to stop it if its possible. perhaps my hose became dislodged - i am unsure as to the cause of the problem.

But i am just trying to alert the comunity to a potential problem.

chris if your engine lurches, id seriously look at your engine mounts....even more so, the gearbox mounts.........FO SURE

the is200 engine never lurches, infact at maximum throttle the most ive seen it move...to the passneger side under torque, was ...a maximum of 1 cm!!

if its lurching forward, you have a problem

but your alerting them to a problem that has nothing to do with the supercharger, as i have already said, the only cars ive seen where the supercharger pulley catches the pipe are cars that have been involved in an accdent....which yours has

and as barrie says, it makes no difference if the pulley gets wet...it gets wet when it rains, the amount,if any of fluid that comes through the overflow is negligable....and if there is, then the radiator is over filled anyway!!

Edited by Monster-Mat

fair enough, just didnt want it on my concience thats all.

about 1cm is home much my engine lurches at max.

feel free to edit the topic title then if needed.

It is connected to the supercharger as that is what ate away at the pipework but may not be very common.

i think i will have my gearbox looked at, things got worse on the lurching since i have had 2 clutches fitted within 4 months.

Maybe it needs re-tightening or something? dont know bugger all on how its mounted to the chassis

is that the one that has an alloy cross mounting??

will take it to the garage to get it checked.

cheers for editing post title mr matt

yep alloy cross mount with x4 nuts holding it to the car, and x4 that hold it to the gearbox mount

• 1 month later...

• 5 months later...

Just noticed that my timing belt pully is catching the down pipe on the right hand side leading down to the intercooler at high-ish revs.

Theres a good cm of distance between the the pipe and pully and ive cable tied the pipe as far across as possible to the outta edge as possible with no joy.

Matt, don't spose you know how much the engine mounts are likely to be and rough estimate on fitting times etc?

Any sugggestions? Its doing my head in now! :crybaby:

post-8021-1156273195.jpg

that just looks like you need to loosen all the clamps and pull the pipework upwards and away.

Galla had this problem and it was easily solved.

Nowt to do with engine mounts i would have thought as there is plenty of clearance when its all set up properly

that just looks like you need to loosen all the clamps and pull the pipework upwards and away.

Nowt to do with engine mounts i would have thought as there is plenty of clearance when its all set up properly

Ive had hours of playing about with the pipes etc and despite the good clearance I get between the pipe and pully it still does it. My other alternative is to beat the pipe flatter where its catching but is something I wanted to avoid and still cant understand why its started doing it. :blink:

Just tried pulling the pipe upwards as far as possible but it looks like i get more clearance when I pull the pipe towards the bottom of the car. Good clearance as Well :duh: Think im going to have to remove the front bumper and have another serious mess about with it.

Ive had hours of playing about with the pipes etc and despite the good clearance I get between the pipe and pully it still does it. My other alternative is to beat the pipe flatter where its catching but is something I wanted to avoid and still cant understand why its started doing it. :blink:

Just tried pulling the pipe upwards as far as possible but it looks like i get more clearance when I pull the pipe towards the bottom of the car. Good clearance as Well :duh: Think im going to have to remove the front bumper and have another serious mess about with it.

mine allways did it,

untill TTE had a fiddle with it, hasnt done it since

as chris says, nought to do with mounts, its just a position thing

:)

Yeah if you can remember Gus he had his fitted at the dealers and when it came to removing it you could see that some of the pipes had literally been smashed into shape with a big hammer!!!

Mine had the same problem, took it to Charlesworth and Steve sorted it all out for me, in fact I think that was the first time I ever went up there!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links