Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Seized Brakes!

This happened a couple of weeks ago, but i put it down to the fact it was raining, and there was water on the rear disk, which caused the rear cailpers to 'stick' to the disk...

However, it happened again last night - car has been stood for a couple of days in the garage, i come to pull it out, release the handbrake, and the car wont move...

Eventually brute force gets it moving, but not without a loud 'clunk' from the brakes... and a horrid scraping sound from them for the first 5 minutes...

Is this just the brakes seizing to the disks? is there a way to avoid this (dont say leave the handbrake off), is there any damage being done?

Like Rodders says the handbrake works using shoes inside a drum that is the centre of the rear disk. Would think that wear on the shoes is unlikely unless you drive with the handbrake on. More likely siezing on because the linkages and cams etc have dried out.

Not sure of exactly how the handbrake works but I assume that the cable pulls directly on a lever/cam that pushes the shoes out. You will need to remove the rear disks and give the whole lot a good clean and then lightly lubricate all the moving parts with SMALL amount of grease. Take care not to get the grease on the shoes or drum. Also check the cable run.

sounds like the discs are binding to the pads where they are rusting due to being wet

as long as it wears of fairly quickly there shouldnt be a problem

if you look at the discs when they have a rusty look, move the car forward a little bit and you will see an outline of the pad , its just surface corrosion

only prevention is to use more regulary or move to saudi :D

sounds like the discs are binding to the pads where they are rusting due to being wet

as long as it wears of fairly quickly there shouldnt be a problem

if you look at the discs when they have a rusty look, move the car forward a little bit and you will see an outline of the pad , its just surface corrosion

only prevention is to use more regulary or move to saudi :D

Could be, but I went on the fact that it was garaged last time it happened so guessing that the disks were dry.

Go by what Bazza says looking at the disks to see if it is that. If it is the handbrake shoes sticking the lever will feel a bit "floppy" as you pull it up when it happens as there will be slack in the cable.

Hope it is just the pads on the disk :D

This is slightly :offtopic:

I have noticed when braking, if I hit a bump or pothole when braking it feels like the brakes are locking and the brake pedal is being pulled from my foot and it makes a clunking sound. Any ideas what is causing this? Reason to worry?

This happened a couple of weeks ago, but i put it down to the fact it was raining, and there was water on the rear disk, which caused the rear cailpers to 'stick' to the disk...

However, it happened again last night - car has been stood for a couple of days in the garage, i come to pull it out, release the handbrake, and the car wont move...

Eventually brute force gets it moving, but not without a loud 'clunk' from the brakes... and a horrid scraping sound from them for the first 5 minutes...

Is this just the brakes seizing to the disks? is there a way to avoid this (dont say leave the handbrake off), is there any damage being done?

I had this a few years ago with an Orion which had brake shoes on the back.

Litteraly had to drag the wheels a few yards to free it. It also made a load clunk. Which I think was amplified through the car so made it sound worse than it was.

I greased the release mechanism and the springs and it (being the hand brake not releasing) never happened again.

when keeping your car in garage with wet brakes dont store with your handbrake on,less chance of seizing.

seems to work for me but still check it out.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links