Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi everybody. Just signed up to your excellent site. Where else to get info on an excellent car than a web site run by Lexus owners.

I found out today (by my own curiosity) that when the alarm on my Mk1 GS300 is triggered, only the lights flash, theres no sound at all. Does anybody know where the alarm sounder is located, or is there a control unit of some sort that sounds the cars horns?

All advice would be appreciated.

As I said earlier, great web site.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome to the club....There should also be an audible warning when the alarm goes off, and it is loud,beleive me :D , but where it is and how to turn it on/off, I have no idea, perhaps Colin may be along later and be able to shed some light on it for you

I have a 1995 year car and the alarm is a simple single horn sounder located at the bulkhead close to the right hand top corner of the engine bay. There is no visual or audible sign that the alarm is armed. It just arms as soon as the doors are locked on the remote.

My mate has a 1997 car and when he locks his car on the remote their is two flashes of his indicators as the alarm arms.

If you want to test your alarm open the boot and leave it open whilst you lock the doors on the remote.

After about 30 seconds the alarm will sound and you will hear just how 'wimpy' it is - well it is on mine any way.

Hi, welcome to the club....There should also be an audible warning when the alarm goes off, and it is loud,beleive me :D , but where it is and how to turn it on/off, I have no idea, perhaps Colin may be along later and be able to shed some light on it for you

Thanks for your replies, the problem is, I have no sound at all. I can lock the car on the remote and then open the doors on the key, which as the manual reads will "set the alarm off". This only flashes the indicators for about 30 seconds or until I disarm it. So the system is "working", its just that there is no audible alarm.

My alarm siren is located under the bonnet on top of the o/s wheel arch, which I assume is the standard fitment area for it - and like Pete said, it's ear splittingly loud when it goes off :o :D

Maybe check for a loose/corroded connection...

My alarm siren is located under the bonnet on top of the o/s wheel arch, which I assume is the standard fitment area for it - and like Pete said, it's ear splittingly loud when it goes off :o :D

Sorry Guys, have looked everywhere and I can't see the alarm. Can anyone describe it or even a photo?

The electronic ignition unit and cruise control are on my o/s wing.

Sorry Guys, have looked everywhere and I can't see the alarm. Can anyone describe it or even a photo?

What year is your GS?, as the older ones have a different type of alarm where the siren is a standard horn and is situated in the back r/h side of the bulkhead I think (as you look from the front of the car under the bonnet).

Could be there :winky:

What year is your GS?, as the older ones have a different type of alarm where the siren is a standard horn and is situated in the back r/h side of the bulkhead I think (as you look from the front of the car under the bonnet).

It's a 1997 UK model. I've looked everywhere but theres no sign of what I would expect an alarm sounder to look like.

It's a 1997 UK model. I've looked everywhere but theres no sign of what I would expect an alarm sounder to look like.

Mmmmm... maybe it's been removed :o

Does the horn sound ? If not check the horn relay circuit If that is OK then check the theft deterrent horn circuit

GS 300 Anti theft system Hope this diagram helps

Thanks Pete

Yes the horn works fine, I presume the unlabeled arrow at the bottom of your diagram is another location for the alarm sounder (under the bonnet slam panel) if so I will have another look tomorrow. Thanks again, will let you know.

Does the horn sound ? If not check the horn relay circuit If that is OK then check the theft deterrent horn circuit

GS 300 Anti theft system Hope this diagram helps

Thanks Pete

Yes the horn works fine, I presume the unlabeled arrow at the bottom of your diagram is another location for the alarm sounder (under the bonnet slam panel) if so I will have another look tomorrow. Thanks again, will let you know.

No........Its the hood courtesy switch.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Just wanted to know if you've resolved the alarm issue as I too have exactly the same problem on a '97 GS300 Sport Mk1. I too am flumexed as to the location of the alarm. Like you everything works apart from the siren, the lights flash, doors lock and I asume the immobiliser works. Someone told me that some systems can have the siren switched on/off but like you I can't find the alarm to see if there's such a switch.

Hope you've found a solution and that you can share it with me.

Here's hoping :unsure:

GS Sport.

• 2 months later...
Hi everybody. Just signed up to your excellent site. Where else to get info on an excellent car than a web site run by Lexus owners.

I found out today (by my own curiosity) that when the alarm on my Mk1 GS300 is triggered, only the lights flash, theres no sound at all. Does anybody know where the alarm sounder is located, or is there a control unit of some sort that sounds the cars horns?

All advice would be appreciated.

As I said earlier, great web site.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Just to let you know I've found the location of the alarm siren. I have a MkI 1997 GS300 Sport and the alarm is a siren not a third horn (the better option by far). The siren is located within the inner front offside wheel arch. It is between the wheel and front fog light area of the wheel arch. I cracked the siren on mine open today and found the circuit board to be corroded hence everything working apart from the siren. Contacted Lexus in Bristol and was pleasantly suprised to find a replacement at £48.00 + VAT. I've ordered one up and hope this will cure the problem. Also the siren has 4 AA backup batteries, looks as though these could be replaced with standard rechargables - if your circuit board is ok could be just a case of replacing them.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

Ian

Many thanks for replying, I did check and it was in the same place. When I dismantled it the main wires were corroded and some corroded away on the board, with the trusty soldering iron these were all repaired and made good, result perfect working order.

The batteries are I think 6x2volt to make the 12volt required. I've left mine out for now, at least the alarms working as it should.

Once again many thanks

Regards

Trev

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links