Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Funny Electrical Problems?

happy new year to all club members...

a brief narrative, as i am a new member, and recent ls 400 owner. i have always had fast and expensive to maintain cars, including a couple of 4x4 cossies, scorpio cossie, M5, to mention a few, but now i own a lexus, and am new to the forum, and problem resolution on my ls 400, will no doubt be a lengthy process, requiring a lot of experienced members help

so, here we go....

on a trip to wales at the weekend, the electrice seemed to fail, whlist i was driving along the M4. a number of acc lights appeared, and after a brief rest on the hard shoulder, the car koncked out. the AA said that the alternator was not charging, and under heavy electrical load, heating, wipers, lights, had caused the failure. i had the car returned home, and the problem still appears to be the same. i had hoped that maybe water ingress had caused the problem, and it would now be cleared... but it ain't

is it the alternator?

secondly, the car appears to run badly, when accelerating, but not too heavily (if that makes sense), it idles fine, and accelerates ok under a heavy right boot, but inbetween, it is a bit misfirey, i have changed the plugs, but not the leads, could the leads, still be a problem, or do i have another problem....

thirdly, the remote door lock does not operate the drivers door lock, thogh does appear to operate the solenoid, it works fine under manual operation, but not with the remote, this has also just happened

lets hope that was the all bad things come in threes senario.

if you can help. please let me thank you in advance, or can advise on a local guru, in the bournemouth area, who can fix my problems.

i do like the car, and do not want to get rid of it because i can't resolve a few issues.

many thanks for reading my message.

kenton

Welcome to the best owners club.....

Check your alternator by putting a voltmeter accross the Battery terminals.

Run the engine at about 1500 rpm minimum, turn on the heated rear screen, headlights etc., to put a 'load' on the alternator.

Voltmeter must read 13 to 14 volts to prove alternator 'keeping up with demand'

If not, alternator problem, assuming the Battery is good,how old is it?

Misfire could be plugs, leads, distributors, etc.an assortment

What plugs did you fit?

Cannot help with remote, my remote key was missing when I got the car, still getting around to it.......... :whistling:

Welcome to the best owners club.....

Check your alternator by putting a voltmeter accross the battery terminals.

Run the engine at about 1500 rpm minimum, turn on the heated rear screen, headlights etc., to put a 'load' on the alternator.

Voltmeter must read 13 to 14 volts to prove alternator 'keeping up with demand'

If not, alternator problem, assuming the battery is good,how old is it?

Misfire could be plugs, leads, distributors, etc.an assortment

What plugs did you fit?

Cannot help with remote, my remote key was missing when I got the car, still getting around to it.......... :whistling:

thanks for info....

Battery is about 7 months old, never had any problems with starting, have tried volts across Battery, only about 12, so suspected alternator, but would have thought there was a warning of sorts in dash?? maybe not.

plugs are the irridium tipped ones, cost me 94 quid, may need to change leads too...

any idea on a new/recon alternator?

thanks for info

kenton

before you replace the alternator check the earth bonding lead terminals and also all the connections on the alternator and Battery are secure and corrosion free - maybe best to take them off and give them a clean with a wire brush/scotchbrite, then re check.

Flattened the Battery on my Corolla when the plug on the alternator was only half-way in. No warning lights, but wasn't charging either. Got home with the ignition system just about running on 3.6 volts! Make sure all the connections are secure.

happy new year to all club members...

a brief narrative, as i am a new member, and recent ls 400 owner. i have always had fast and expensive to maintain cars, including a couple of 4x4 cossies, scorpio cossie, M5, to mention a few, but now i own a lexus, and am new to the forum, and problem resolution on my ls 400, will no doubt be a lengthy process, requiring a lot of experienced members help 

so, here we go....

on a trip to wales at the weekend, the electrice seemed to fail, whlist i was driving along the M4. a number of acc lights appeared, and after a brief rest on the hard shoulder, the car koncked out. the AA said that the alternator was not charging, and under heavy electrical load, heating, wipers, lights, had caused the failure. i had the car returned home, and the problem still appears to be the same. i had hoped that maybe water ingress had caused the problem, and it would now be cleared... but it ain't

is it the alternator?

secondly, the car appears to run badly, when accelerating, but not too heavily (if that makes sense), it idles fine, and accelerates ok under a heavy right boot, but inbetween, it is a bit misfirey, i have changed the plugs, but not the leads, could the leads, still be a problem, or do i have another problem....

thirdly, the remote door lock does not operate the drivers door lock, thogh does appear to operate the solenoid, it works fine under manual operation, but not with the remote, this has also just happened

lets hope that was the all bad things come in threes senario.

if you can help. please let me thank you in advance, or can advise on a local guru, in the bournemouth area, who can fix my problems.

i do like the car, and do not want to get rid of it because i can't resolve a few issues.

many thanks for reading my message.

kenton

Hi Kenton,

I had exactly the same door locking problem on my LS, easily cured, just lubricate all of the joints and linkages, its a bit of a job removing the door card to get at them but oil cured mine straight away.

On a dark night, try fine spraying slightly salty water onto the plug leads any errant sparks due to electrical leakage should then show nice and bright.

Can't assist with your alternator problem by email though, but before you replace it, (you don't mention which model LS you have) you must check that there are no leaks from the power steering pump mounted above it, I have repaired 2 LS's with fluid leaks.

If it is leaking chances are that this fluid LED to its premature end and there is no point replacing it until the leak is cured, if you do have a leak its not the end of the world, and once again probably very cheaply and easily cured (dependant on the model LS you own).

There is a small 'O' ring on the spigot of the fluid reservoir that connects it to the pump body, they tend to heat and age harden and then split allowing fluid to pass drop onto and contaminate the alternator, replace this tuppenny 'O' ring with one obtained from a proper hydraulic workshop (less than 10p) don't be tempted to buy an inferior DIY store type, as although this job is pretty straightforward it is quite involved removing covers etc to gain access and you don't want to repeat this too soon.

Regards,

Chris Vince

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links