Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Aerial

wildrnes

The in-glass aerial is useless outside Japan. The best solution is to fit an external aerial. I used one from a 2001 Camry on my 1999 Aristo, which mounts on the right rear quarter panel. In isn't quite the right angle and pokes out to the right a bit when extended. Ideally, use one from a GS300.

1. Using tracing paper placed on a local GS300, first outline the exact location and shape of the hole. Use the bottom corner of the rear window and the tail light as reference points. You will achieve best results if you remove the aerial first, but this is not always possible.

2. Find a friend with a drill and metal "nibbler" to cut the tear-drop shape hole in your quarter panel. Ensure he/she is a good friend who will repair any damage caused!

3. Bolt the unit in place through the hole, adding a metal strap to secure the bottom of the unit. Make sure you position the spacers in the right order to ensure the aerial sits at the correct angle.

4.Wire the "power in", "ignition" and "radio on"wires to a common power source that activates only on ignition. There is such a feed around the Sat Nav and stereo boxes in the right corner of the boot. Use a test light probe to find it. Attach the negative to a good ground point. (Warning: NEVER PROBE YELLOW WIRES. These are usually for the airbag system and may cause it to fire)

5. The radio unit is a non-descript silver metal box mounted on a panel inside the boot above the right rear wheel well. Disconnect the co-ax plug from the in-glass aerial and replace it with the one from your external aerial. Note: you will be working by feel in a confined space. I found it easier to remove the box by undoing the 2 * 10mm bolts that hold it in place.

And presto, you have a reasonable radio signal. I also added a booster (available from auto accessory places) which fits sequentially on the coax wire and ampifies the signal for even better reception.

The only minor inconvenience is that the aerial extends as soon as the key is switched to Accessories (or ON), even if the radio is off.

Good luck.

Wayne

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links