Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Owner - Old Questions I Expect!

Tony Smith

Hi there to everyone on the forum - I've just bought a Aristo Vertex twin turbo and had a few questions. Firstly what would you say was the right price for a 93 car 79k in excellent condition. Secondly I know its the same engine as the Supra but what are the recommended initial mods to liberate some more power - air filter and chip with small boost increase? What do you guys recommend/run? Thirdly wheel sizes - those standard rims look a bit lost, what have people found to be a good compromise between ride and handling. And lastly any mild suspension upgrades you would recommend - want to keep it comfy but looks like it could definitely do with a reduction in ride height.

Oh and one more thing - any common problems I need to look out for.

Thanks in anticipation for your help

Welcome to LOC.

Would love to see some piccies.

In terms of performance mods, a boost controller would be a good start. Think about breathing too (induction, exhaust etc).

For handling, as Mike says, springs would be a good start plus uprated anti-roll bars for sure.

You can get 20's on but a good compromise would be 18's wrapped in 225/40's.

Yep would love to see some pics not to mention welcome to LOC :).

In terms of performance, the first mod for you to do would be the exhaust...a turboback system would be ideal (getting rid of the CATS).

Then invest in a GReddy FCD and a boost controller.

Also pop in a high performance air filter (K&N, Blitz, TRD, etc) in the stock airbox. Of course you can go and pick up a Induction Kit (APEXi Power Intake highly recommended), but you would need to either fabricate a custom induction box, or buy a ready made one.

A BOV (Blow-Off Valve) would also be ideal with increased boost to prevent any kind of compressor surge. I'd get either a HKS SSQV or the Blitz.

The safest and highest boost I'd run with the stock Turbo's would be 17psi, nothing more ... also after the above mods have been completed make sure you convert the sequential Turbo setup to a parallel setup (instructions here ---> http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/ettc/index.html AND http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/ttc/ttc.htm) to prolong the life of the Turbo's.

A Front Mount Intercooler would be the next best upgrade. If you're looking at a cheap intercooler which is good to about 700rwhp, then take a look at www.supraforums.com as the majority are using what they call the eBay intercooler which costs less than half of the GReddy FMIC and has similar performance. Although you'd have to have it shipped in from the USA, otherwise look at the HKS Type R FMIC.

Of course you'll have to get new spark plugs which are one grade cooler than the stock ones if you're planning on running with the above modifications.

Also make sure you sort out the brakes if you're planning on running with the above modifications. Ideally you should get some Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, Diamond Discs and pads (as recommended by Yoshi numerous times).

After these mods, I'd say look into investing in either a larger single turbo kit, or have the turbo's rebuilt with larger compressor wheels, etc (which IMHO isn't worth it). OR look into going with larger twins.

That's all I can think of for now, but those mods should push you in the mid 400rwhp range. In this range I'd also advice you take it easy on the gearbox as it'll be working at maximum potential. Also at this sort of stage I'd also recommend you pick up TWO ATF coolers, both with fans to prolong the life of the gearbox. After this I'd take a look at www.whifbitz.co.uk regarding the Boostlogic Automatic Transmission upgrade which will be good for 800rwhp easily.

Hope you have a good stay! :) .

Thanks for the advise so far, only going to be looking for mild mods at the moment so I think the Eibach springs, will be a good start and some rims to get her looking a bit less plain. On the engine side of things an air filter is a must and is it ok to just remove the cats? Is there anybody who can just remap the standard ecu for a bit more fuel and boost, I haven't got the funds for boost controllers and fcd at the moment as I have a couple of other projects on the go that I need to finish first - what boost do they run standard by the way? I see superchips do a chip - anybody tried it. 35 bhp increase seemed a bit lame!

I'm collecting the car at the weekend so will take some pictures and post next week.

It's possible to have the cats replaced. Also a remap isn't really going to save you money. The cheaper alternative is a boost controller and FCD (about £300-£350 for both). Standard boost is 11psi IIRC and Superchips is not really worth it IMHO. Fuel system is good for about 500rwhp so I doubt you'll have much problems regarding fuel.

What kind of rims you looking at?

Hi there to everyone on the forum - I've just bought a Aristo Vertex twin turbo and had a few questions. Firstly what would you say was the right price for a 93 car 79k in excellent condition. Secondly I know its the same engine as the Supra but what are the recommended initial mods to liberate some more power - air filter and chip with small boost increase? What do you guys recommend/run? Thirdly wheel sizes - those standard rims look a bit lost, what have people found to be a good compromise between ride and handling. And lastly any mild suspension upgrades you would recommend - want to keep it comfy but looks like it could definitely do with a reduction in ride height.

Oh and one more thing - any common problems I need to look out for.

Thanks in anticipation for your help

Hi and Welcome to LOC.

Not to sure of Aristo pricing ive seen afew forsale for around £4000.

As for handling id go for the more expensive Tein coilovers.

Ive been told if you change the exhaust to leave the main CAT on as that will keep the boost in check.

Ive 17inch wheels on my car,they were on the car when i bought it.They still look small on the car...18s are a better option to fill the arches.

I see in one of the above posts of tyre size 225/40 that seems narrow.Ive 245s on the front and 255 on the rear and the 255s seem easy to spin up with the traction control turned off and my cars bog standard.

As to common problems check out the GS300 section of the site as well as the Aristo section...

A common problem is the upper wishbone bushes on the front suspension on the mk1s...when worn the wheel will move in and out like a worn wheel bearing....not a cheap price to replace about £340 per side.

Cheers chips.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links