Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Home Networking Problem

PI100

i have a problem with my home network ever since sunday my two computer have stopped talking to each other one is xp and the other is 98. is there any program which will set them up again so i can use ics again.

i have a problem with my home network ever since sunday my two computer have stopped talking to each other one is xp and the other is 98. is there any program which will set them up again so i can use ics again.

can you expand more on the problem?

which machine does what?

which machine is connected to the 'net?

my machine p4 2.4gig and win xp home addition is connected to the net via speed touch usb adsl modem. i use this machine as an internet gateway so my win 98 machine can access the net (my sons computer). however my lan has stopped working, i cannot connect to my sons computer anymore. is there such program that will reset the network settings

You can see the SMC Barricade using the link below.

I have been using a wireless Barricade for well over a year, and have no complaints at all.

SMC ADSL Router

on (any) computer, get into DOS (Start, run, cmd or command)

type ipconfig

this will give you the details of your IP Address (the machine you are using now has an IP address of 217.41.30.nnn - not going to show the full address :) )

your sons machine should have an IP address like 192.168.123.1.

If your son's machine does not have an ip address, type

ipconfig /renew

this should try and force the machine to get a new IP address from your machine.

You can see the SMC Barricade using the link below.

I have been using a wireless Barricade for well over a year, and have no complaints at all.

SMC ADSL Router

on (any) computer, get into DOS (Start, run, cmd or command)

type ipconfig

this will give you the details of your IP Address (the machine you are using now has an IP address of 217.41.30.nnn - not going to show the full address :) )

your sons machine should have an IP address like 192.168.123.1.

If your son's machine does not have an ip address, type

ipconfig /renew

this should try and force the machine to get a new IP address from your machine.

Matt

Is it not the case that 98 uses winipcfg instead of ipconfig ? Or am I thinking of 95 ?

If you are going to do an ipconfig/renew (or renew from winipcfg) from the 98 machine that does rely on his XP machine running DHCP services and having a scope set up, (I think actually that XP handles the DHCP side of things through the internet sharing service.) His XP machine will get a public IP address from the ISP but to get a private 192.168.x.x address for the 98 machine there will have to be a DHCP service of some sort running on the local LAN.

As far as routers for ADSL go check out the Draytek Vigor at www.seg.co.uk. Used a few of these devices at work at they are great. They have in built firewall capabilities for proper protection form the Internet.

PI100 - if you get any error messages relating to things you've tried so far then post them and it will help in identifying the problem

Cheers

Is it not the case that 98 uses winipcfg instead of ipconfig ? Or am I thinking of 95 ?

Both should work on '98 - just that winipcfg gives a GUI instead of text output.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links