Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Custom Induction Ideas

Is it a ridiculous idea to make a scoop from the bonnet into a box that is used as the induction, obviously putting a filter in there of sorts

Similar to the standard scoop airintake setup?

yes but shorter and taking the air out of the flow like a scooby does, then popping in an after market filer on a very short through pipe

no, apart from when it rains you will create a nice little drinking straw out of your induction kit!

have a look at what i did with a fog light!

gallery_2966_135_19428.jpg

i just disasembled the fog light, removed the light unit, cut open the "glass" and painted the reflector.

then added a 60mm 90degree elbow onto the back and took the 60mm pipe up through the panel bellow my induction kit.

works a treat and looks subtle! and no water gets up there!

no, apart from when it rains you will create a nice little drinking straw out of your induction kit!

have a look at what i did with a fog light!

gallery_2966_135_19428.jpg

i just disasembled the fog light, removed the light unit, cut open the "glass" and painted the reflector.

then added a 60mm 90degree elbow onto the back and took the 60mm pipe up through the panel bellow my induction kit.

works a treat and looks subtle! and no water gets up there!

thats the same as the 2 that ive got apart from mine are not through the fog light.. one to the side and one above

well i have just asked about this

another thought was some sort of cooling process around the induction piping?

Intercooler spray bar?

oops thought that said intercooler piping :blush:

Edited by ad77

I saw a MkIII golf once with a hole cut in the wing - the tip of the filter just poked through to get air in.

Obviously the air will only be as cold as the air outside but it will be cooler than the under bonnet temps. At the rate that the air is drawn into the system it will have little chance to get heated as it runs through the pipe.

As long as the filter is mounted lower than the engine throttle body then water ingress should be minimal i would have thought.

I'll try and fish a photo out if i can find one.

dont want to be the party pooper or anything, but has anyone actually measured the temperature difference between ambient and intake air?? - as waddy says i highly suspect that the difference if any, will be miniscule.

for ad77 and the others that have a modded intake housing, you are getting ram effect which helps but it will be very very small.

for those with the SC - the air is very hot anyway - the best thing to do in that case would be to get a more efficient intercooler

I forgot you had the s/c Thom - have you thought about i/c spray? could run it from the headlamp wash button (i assume you have stripped the other bits out :winky: )

I'm struggling to find a pic of what I was talking about before - will keep going though.

ah so u have the SC - i have tela-temp labels on my pipework and the output pipe from the SC was showing 72C ! after the IC it showed 60C but that is very hot.

looking at Aidos and my SC i have seen it could be placed a bit better IMHO, because a section of it is blocked by the lower section of the bumper, ideally it needs moving up slightly ( if the pipework will allow this i dont know).

Grim had a different bumper fitted and that allowed the IC to be in the full airflow and i remember that a lot of people thought it was an aftermarket IC because of the size. if u look throught the JAE 2004 pics u might see it

dont want to be the party pooper or anything, but has anyone actually measured the temperature difference between ambient and intake air?? - as waddy says i highly suspect that the difference if any, will be miniscule.

I'll be doing some research on this over the next week or two :ph34r:

I can get hold of a K rated thermocouple and Digitron meter that will run off an inverter and sit on the dash, so I'm going to experiment with various heat shield and cold air box configurations and see which gives the best result

No, it's only a single input - but that's not really an issue as I was planning on taking ambient readings before repeating for the post-mod runs. They'll all be done on the same road, same speed etc in order to establish a baseline.

I'll be doing some research on this over the next week or two :ph34r:

Had the bumper mod also? :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links