Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is200 Sport - Import

John S

Advice appreciated with this dilemma please. I put deposit on IS200 Sport and had Dekra carry out a check on it - couple of minor faults that can be dealt with but the HPI check revealed that it has been imported. The log book isn't available yet and wont buy without - but till I see that I won't know its origin (does the log book actually show this?) I not sure if I bothered if it is imported........should I be? does it matter from where it is imported?

It is registered in May 2002 and built in 2001 and previously had a private plate(which may answer why it is on a Y plate).

I got to soon hand over £10k but car is great - (I wondered why it had reverse distant alerts when I test drove it - assume this is import extra, but it didn't click)

Thanks

John

it depends whether it was imported from Europe or Japan...

If it has come from Japan, it is a AS200, and may not have all the UK spec features.

All IS200's have the reverse beep - this is down to the 6 speed box, it tells you your in reverse - handy when sometimes your in a rush!

To be honest, £10k is a lot for an imported 2001 car.. where are you located, and what exactly are you looking for... as if i was you, i would demad my deposit back (on the basis they did not declare it was an import) and find yourself something of a better deal..

I am assuming this is not a lexus dealer...

And also bear in mind that there is a possibility that the car could have been stolen in Japan.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine bought a Land Cruiser (import) from a dealer; the car was later identified as having been stolen and it was repo'd. He is still in legal wrangling with the dealer.

if it is a IS200sport

it would have been imported from europe

although strange it wasnt imported as new as the steering wheel is on the wrong side in the rest of europe

if it had been imported from japan it would be a toyota altezza and would be wrong if sold as a lexus

imported car may well have an inferior spec to a UK car

and certainly would attract a lower price, and possibly higher insurance

if it is a IS200sport

although strange it wasnt imported as new as the steering wheel is on the wrong side in the rest of europe

if it had been imported from japan it would be a toyota altezza and would be wrong if sold as a lexus

Thanks - are they all made in Japan and sent across europe then imported into UK from eurpoean destinations?'

if it is a IS200sport

Thanks - are they all made in Japan and sent across europe then imported into UK from eurpoean destinations?'

no...only imported ones

was a legistration which gave the consumer the right to order a rhd car from european dealers at cheaper than the uk list prices, lots brought them in europe then brought them here, they effectively are imported cars

a uk car is built in japan and comes directly to the uk

All UK spec models are made in Japan and imported directly into the UK.

........... so an import is one that wasn't intended for the UK market originally, but made its way via another country (say Malta) that was the original intended destination (clear??)

if it is a IS200sport

no...only imported ones

was a legistration which gave the consumer the right to order a rhd car from european dealers at cheaper than the uk list prices, lots brought them in europe then brought them here, they effectively are imported cars

thanks - I understand now.

even european imported models attract a lower price than UK models, mainly because the initial purchase price is lower, and if fully 'declared' insurance companies may charge more..

Seriously - i would demand your deposit back, as the car isnt a great price, you could get as good, if not better deal and certainley a uk car!

• 3 months later...

a little bit of disinfomation here...

just because its marked as an import means alot or a little depending on where its come from.

if its from Japan as in an AS200 then it is indeed a true import, however if the car has come from Europe there is no reason why the car should dictate a lower price, as they will come with the same spec as a UK is200 if specified at order.

also and something that is not known, All members of HM Forces based over seas are entitled to tax free automobiles, infact ive had 3.

these cars when first registered in the uk will normally not tally up with the date of first registered and sometimes the logbooks are marked Imported.

however, the cars are full UK spec, and were supplied by Lexus GB.

the easiest way to find out is get hold of the log book, and look at the previous owners, dont dismiss the car just becuase its an import!

infact its snobs who say dont get imports.

i have a 1991 mitsubishi pajero, which is 10x better specced than a UK version and in better condition, i also have a 1990 toyota hilux, an import aswell, in supreme condition compared to Uk models.

just do some legwork you may find it will actually pay off in the end

even european imported models attract a lower price than UK models, mainly because the initial purchase price is lower, and if fully 'declared' insurance companies may charge more..

Seriously - i would demand your deposit back, as the car isnt a great price, you could get as good, if not better deal and certainley a uk car!

not true, if the car was imported via the EU, it doesnt need to be declared as the car has a full EU chassis number

who says european cars are cheaper, i think you need to go have alook at some lexus dealerships on the continent!!

if it is a IS200sport

no...only imported ones

this didnt happen with Lexus though, the imports from japan are heavily monitored, only so many RHD cars were destined for Europe, regardless of country of shipment the quoto was the same, as the only countries to recive RHD in Europe was UK and Ireland

if it is a IS200sport

its also possible that its a duty free vehicle used by a diplomat, so it would also be marked as imported although supplied by Lexus GB, or as i said a Tax Free ex services supplied car

as i have said find out the specs, find who the previos owners were, do a bit of legwork, all may be fine

Edited by Monster-Mat

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links