Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ipod Nano

Damer

ipods are going to go the way of the BetaMax....

What makes you say that Ian - I thought that iPOD dominated the market? That wasn't the case for VHS -vs- Betamax

actually, originally betamax did dominate the market...

But IPod has 2 critical flaws...

the first being it is a fashion icon - the moment it goes out of fashion, new sales will nose-dive...

but second, and more importantly, apple have shot themselves in the foot by restricting it to itunes - and not opening it up to the other downloads, and more specifically, the newer high-street MP3 retailers (like HMV)...

I mean, i could be wrong, but personally I think the generic (creative, iriver etc) mp3's players will be the ones to stand the test of time...

actually, originally betamax did dominate the market...

Sony's Betamax format was launched in 1975 followed by JVC's VHS a year later. Sony was the market leader for only a year and VHS soon dominated the market on account of the longer tape times - up to 3hrs for VHS, only 60mins for Betamax, despite the superior Betamax quality. By the time Sony had played catchup on the playing times it was too late and Betamax was dead.

Back on topic, iPOD still enjoys an 80% MS, down from 87% a year ago. This is still a very healthy number. With iPOD -vs- the generic models we are not talking different technology as with Beta -vs- VHS, merely the recorded format.

Yes, the generics will continue to erode into iPOD's MS but iPOD is well aware of this and I am very sure that in another 3-5 years iPOD will have moved away from the mini sized digital player and be making their investment in some other format or player.

your probably right...

:lol: Most unusual for you to agree fella, I was just getting worked up for a entertaining debate, are you feeling OK? :lol:

What can I say - well, in all honesty I've just been in an 8-page debate on PistonHeads regarding whether tall people are disciminated against...

But you did have a valid point - apple have hit the right chord with the Ipod, and while I still believe the device itself (due to its closed nature of software support) will see its sales figures dwindle, especially when people like iriver start offering more 'trendy' players, I think you are probably right about them changing direction for another segment...

I think it looks alright, I like the shuffle more though as it sounds good but I like the fact it doubles up as a USB key.

I was hoping that they'd announce the video iPod today but still nothing, just the Nano, iTunes 5 and the Motorola ROKR iTunes phone...

Just installed iTunes 5 on the Mac but initial reports don't rate it very highly, sounds like a point release will be out soon!

As for the iPod not being able to play WMA, that's never been a problem for me, I've never come across a CD that wasn't available in MP3 or MP4 format, think I downloaded one OGG album to see what the fuss was about and maybe a couple in APE format. All I did was convert to WAV and then to AAC (MP4)..

I've only ever bought two songs off the iTunes Music Store, and used jHymn immediately to remove the DRM limitations as my Roku Soundbridge can't play files with DRM!

I have to admit I liked the way that they do it on AllOfMP3 - you pick the format and bit rate you want when you purchase music - not what the vendor wants to enforce onto you.

I can't see Apples bubble bursting, with an 80% market share and with new product ranges like the Nano I think it will continue to dominate.

I think part of Playstation2s success is because people are often like Lemmings, theres better products out there but still, they don't sell.

Im not fussed about it only working on iTunes, its a reliable, user frindly program with good track listings. I think if anything, apple is likely to increase its market share, iPod is now a brand in its own right.

Here we go pal:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

I guess you're right Ian in that it is a fashion accessory, but it has that much market share now and the general public refer to MP3 players as an iPod - not iRiver etc etc, a lot of the lads I work with have loads of different types of MP3 player but to be honest nothing quite works as well and as simply as the iPod imho, although I was tempted by one of those Archos DIVX players.....

I'm a big fan of the apple stuff, have to admit though that if they hadn't done iTunes for Windows it would never have had such a huge presence!

Just running it now, doesn't quite look right, they messed up the interface design, doesn't look like any other apps on the Mac, they were supposed to be making it look more like Mail.app!

Just watching the launch event at the minute, they've just added the Madonna collection today, and the Harry Potter books, sounds like they're exclusive to iTunes Music Store!

Steve Jobs went thru some stats and they've got 10 million users registered in the iTMS and on average the normal user has bought 60 songs - I've bought 2 so I'm at the bottom of the bell curve there!

One of the only things stopping me from getting an Ipod (except for the issue of non-user servicable batteries) is the itunes requirement.

I didnt like Itunes when it was forced upon my by quicktime, and I am not a great fan of it now... winamp anyday for me! :)

The reason that put me off the iPOD was the iTunes requirement. I prefer to upload my music direct from CD (my own collection, friends and libraries) and then download what I like to my Sony HDD player.

That's what I do with iTunes though Mike?

Just fire it up, bung a CD in, and import it - all copied across the next time you sync the iPod? Really easy to be honest! My collection is all either MP3's I've downloaded off the net or AAC files that have come from my CD collection...

You just need a bit of software like this:

http://www.mhc.se/software/vinyl/

http://www.polderbits.com/lp-to-cd.html?ref=adword1

Either of those are optimised for converting vinyl to MP3, which you then just import into iTunes!

Some tips here too for hooking everything up:

http://www.polderbits.com/HowToConnect.htm

You just need a bit of software like this:

http://www.mhc.se/software/vinyl/

http://www.polderbits.com/lp-to-cd.html?ref=adword1

Either of those are optimised for converting vinyl to MP3, which you then just import into iTunes!

Some tips here too for hooking everything up:

http://www.polderbits.com/HowToConnect.htm

CHEERS! :D

Been after something like this for ages. After footy on Sat will try it all out.

Thanks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links