Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Adsl Weird Problem

Fidgits

My adsl connection is there - my router confirms its connected at 500kb/s

yet...

i cant get more than a couple of kb/s rate - IE can only download a few images, and more often than not, says page cannot be found - probably due to response times.

I called my ISP - and there having BT check the exchange - but can anyone help, as im back on dial-up at the moment, not exactly great for working!

Has anything changed anywhere or was this setup working?

Just wondering whether you need to change the MTU on the connection as an MTU size of say over 1458 can cause similar problems to what you are seeing there Ian.

Try this fella:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/mtu.asp

As far as i am aware - i havent touched a single setting or changed anything...

My setup is exactly the same as it has been for the last few years - and the problem is from both machines, i even tried the old dsl modem, and the same thing...

Im almost certain its a problem on the line... but thanks for the guide, i will look into it...

It's worth a go mate, the symptoms sound similar...

I did have a problem with then line dropping constantly a couple of years back and it was a cable on the outside of the house that had had better days, that was replaced and the problem was solved!

Do you use a router or just the modem straight into the machine?

If it has any diagnostics, have a look at the SNR and Loop attenuation. Also see if there's any uncorrected blocks.

SNR should be above >12db at least. (10 is classed as the absolute minimum)

Att. should be lower than 42 for 2mbs (the lower the better). Higher than 60 and you'll be lucky to get half a meg. Into the 80's and you're stuffed.

Just in case any equipment has gone faulty, have you tried unplugging everything that is on the line? (including the microfilters - some have leaky capacitors after a while)

You can force a full reset at the exchange by leaving unplugged for half an hour. If the exchange cannot sync for 25 mins, it will automatically do a reset on the line and DSLAM card.

i had this problem last week ian, turns out it was down to a free upgrade to a 2mb connection. everything is fine and dandy now and quicker!

I've just had the same upgrade (Demon Internet) to 2mb(theoretically) but my DLink ADSL router maxes out at 1152 k.

The associated numbers are

DS att=55

US att=63

DS Margin=12

US Margin=18

If I interpret Geoffers comments right (nice to have him back by the way), these are not good numbers.

Soooo..... how does one go about errrr.... getting them sorted?

Whats at fault, my ADSL modem, the line, or the DSLAM card (whatever that may be)?

If anyone can make sense of what I have just typed, HHHEEELLLPPP

Cheers

Dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links